JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
prime example of people with money being stupid enough to think spending few hundred dollars can buy them lordship. i dont think theres anything stopping anyone from slapping lord on their business cards as is, least in usa.
Remind me to change my login name to Lord Wired.

The founders wanted only Freeholders as in white men with mortgage free land to vote. Still got 20 something years to go on that.

Remind me to change my login name to Lord Wired.

The founders wanted only Freeholders as in white men with mortgage free land to vote. Still got 20 something years to go on that.
The question is: is everyone's assessment of an idea equally valuable? If the founders intended to set up a Constitutional Republic, it makes sense that they did not intend every person to have equal voice in the voting and wanted to set parameters with which a person would have a voice.

Using this as an example. An 18 year old fresh out of high school student whose never provided for themselves a day in their life and has very little experience in anything outside of being a student in school. Their vote on A tax matter is equal to a business owner whose owned and ran successful business, longer than the 18 year old has been alive.

Having everyone get a vote simply because of age is direct democracy, and that terrified some of the founders. If property owners were the only voters of this nation we'd see a lot less taxes being passed.

The question is: is everyone's assessment of an idea equally valuable? If the founders intended to set up a Constitutional Republic, it makes sense that they did not intend every person to have equal voice in the voting and wanted to set parameters with which a person would have a voice.

Using this as an example. An 18 year old fresh out of high school student whose never provided for themselves a day in their life and has very little experience in anything outside of being a student in school. Their vote on A tax matter is equal to a business owner whose owned and ran successful business, longer than the 18 year old has been alive.

Having everyone get a vote simply because of age is direct democracy, and that terrified some of the founders. If property owners were the only voters of this nation we'd see a lot less taxes being passed.
I wouldn't say that. The founders set up a representative republic. Yes people vote because of their age but we , and I say we as Americans not at the state level, are not set up as a Democracy at all. You just vote for someone else who does the real voting. Thats not what Democracy is. Its been perverted in states like Oregon, Washington and California where the ballot measure really hoses things up but the tradition of direct democracy is enshrined as far back as the Mayflower Compact.

I wouldn't say that. The founders set up a representative republic. Yes people vote because of their age but we , and I say we as Americans not at the state level, are not set up as a Democracy at all. You just vote for someone else who does the real voting. Thats not what Democracy is. Its been perverted in states like Oregon, Washington and California where the ballot measure really hoses things up but the tradition of direct democracy is enshrined as far back as the Mayflower Compact.
The founders set up a representative form of government with provisions of who (property owners) got to vote for those representatives. While we still retain the representative form of government function. The process to elect those representatives is still 'everyone' voting and whoever gets the most votes wins. And the requirement to vote is now just a function of age, not actually anything that denotes a level of success that helps provide for a more informed voter. Limiting voting to landowners ensured that (typically) a level of experience, financial success, or education had been achieved that would contribute to an overall better informed voting populace. It really doesn't matter that we still have a representative form of government if the voting populace is so diluted with idiots that they (by majority) vote for their desired outcomes.

The founders were aware of direct democracy and its inherent dangers, which is why they tried to set up a system that avoided that.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top