JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We've got two large dogs (over 120lbs ea.). We made a point of socializing both of them when they were pups; socializing to people and socializing to other dogs. We've never had a problem with them being aggressive in any way to other dogs or people. Usually any problem occurs due to their excitement to meet other dogs (which are usually smaller) and the other dogs will sometimes snap at them out of fear. Most every time they back off immediately like they're shocked someone doesn't like them.

We take both dogs with us to the hardware stores, our bank, Cabela's and many other places where dogs are allowed, so they are very used to being out in public. At those times we always have them leashed because we know other people may not be dog people; an obvious fact that many dog owners don't seem to get.

At home they have a free run of the place. Since we live out in the woods, they are neither tied up or kenneled. We also work from home, and are nearly always there in our roles as Alpha Dogs. When people visit, we don't leash the dogs at all because anyone coming up is on our property and must adhere to our non-leash policy.

Basically, we love all dogs and hate the thought of anyone having to kill an aggressive one. Nevertheless, the guy acted properly in shooting that dog, and I would, regretfully, do the same if it were me.

Here they are with the Missus in New Mexico (we took them over 3700 miles and through 7 states in our car on that trip - they loved it and were perfect gentlemen the whole time):

View attachment 313651

I zoomed in to see what kind of dogs and got a screen full of dog peckero_O

Use it for a screen saver!

I don't think so...

As my wife's grandfather was fond of saying, I like girl dogs because you can rub their bellys and it's all smooth with no pecker in the way:p.

My little guy is just now starting to enjoy a good chest/belly rub (at 12 lol - he's got a bit of an attitude and alpha dog syndrome so he is trained but I have to constantly keep him in line) but our last 2 girls loved it from day one:D.

Not sure I'll get another male dog, they just seem like they are higher maintenance but maybe I willl change my mind, I hope my little buddy hangs in there for another handful of years minimum- sucks being the only guy in the household;).

IMG_0630.JPG

We once had a female border collie mix. She bonded with me to an extreme level and would not let any other dog come near me. She wasn't socialized very well so she never left the property. After she died we got the Bernese.

Now we've got two males (as you've discovered), and the Bernese is such a Momma's Boy. He's not aggressive, but he'll insert himself between her and any other dog she might be petting. We were at a dog park once and he was 150' away and saw Mrs. Sigmadog petting a strange dog: Bernese are fairly low-energy dogs, and I've never seen him run so fast before or since, but he came racing over to break them apart. Hilarious. Everyone at the park got a kick out of that.

I was kind of shocked (but glad) to hear the owner of the coffee shop say that while it was too bad this occurred the CCW and leashed dog owner was is the right for protecting himself and his dog from the attacking pitbulls. If he isn't allowed back it will be because the owner is afraid of the backlash of unreasonable Antigun patrons of his business.

Although if the coffee shop owner stands up to any opposition for not banning the guy defending his dogs he may have a very loyal group of new patrons.

Of course if this scenario were the reverse where some SJW retard did something stupid and was banned from a business we all know they would organize a boycott and sue the owner into bankruptcy for discrimination.

The world has become a combination of Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm, Phillip K Dick's Minority Report, bizarro world and Idiocracy.

Yep, I've seen a lot of dogs shot in Montana. Never in a million years did we see that coming though. In this particular owners defense, that cat never ventured more than six feet from him and again.. we were way out in the woods.
The funny thing though.. that cat died on that trip.. talk about more comical horror.
Well, I'll tell ya. So we saddled up in the old Galaxy 500 and upon my turning the ignition key, all hell broke loose under the hood. I guess leashed (he had taken to strictly keeping it on leash after this event) cats and motors do mix.. bloodily. lol

Crap, the sound that must have made. As with the whole of your post, both frightening and comical. That's like something from a campy 80's movie or South Park episode.

So... we just had a minor incident this morning.

Nothing as major as the OP but same enough not to warrant its own thread.

We leave the back door open just enough that my dog can get out of the house and into the yard as he wants. Normally we use a bell he is trained with but sometimes he just goes outside out of boredom and then plays the in and out game. With me on crutches and on the couch that just isn't going to happen:rolleyes:.

He is very social to other people (he is very selective and I have trusted his judgement many times) but other then our past dogs he doesn't like other animals. Is fine if they ignore him but is absolutely intolerant of the face to face thing - still working on that and it's gotten a lot better now that I've been taking him into stores with me.

Today my wife and I are on the couch and here a low growling from him (no line of sight to the back door). We both perk up a bit and listen, while it slowly was getting louder (I tell people that want to pet him that if he growles at you he will bite you so be aware).

All of a sudden we here him snapping and barking in a different way then his normal "alert!" bark. This is the I'm about to tear you up snarling.

My wife was up and running for the back door about as fast as I can get the words, "something's wrong!", out of my mouth with a shoe in her hand (man do I hate not having a useful leg right now...).

Turns out he had taken a stance inside the house at the door and was keeping our nieghbors wandering dog standing there out of the house (about twice the size of my dog, but mine is fearless and has chased her home until she is in her own yard a few times). She has jumped the fence a couple (more then a few) times but is harmless as far as I can tell, just looking for company.

We are on good terms with a majority of our neighbors so I'm not about to shoot their dog but I have been way more careful of letting mine out front without a leash on after a confrontation with out other neighbors dogs - thankfully no injuries and they are huge dog lovers and handled it very well.

This thread has reminded me that when I start walking again, I'll have a walking stick and either a gun or a knife with me since I will be out multiple times a day so we are bound to find trouble at some point, but hopefully not.

So... we just had a minor incident this morning.

Nothing as major as the OP but same enough not to warrant its own thread.

We leave the back door open just enough that my dog can get out of the house and into the yard as he wants. Normally we use a bell he is trained with but sometimes he just goes outside out of boredom and then plays the in and out game. With me on crutches and on the couch that just isn't going to happen:rolleyes:.

He is very social to other people (he is very selective and I have trusted his judgement many times) but other then our past dogs he doesn't like other animals. Is fine if they ignore him but is absolutely intolerant of the face to face thing - still working on that and it's gotten a lot better now that I've been taking him into stores with me.

Today my wife and I are on the couch and here a low growling from him (no line of sight to the back door). We both perk up a bit and listen, while it slowly was getting louder (I tell people that want to pet him that if he growles at you he will bite you so be aware).

All of a sudden we here him snapping and barking in a different way then his normal "alert!" bark. This is the I'm about to tear you up snarling.

My wife was up and running for the back door about as fast as I can get the words, "something's wrong!", out of my mouth with a shoe in her hand (man do I hate not having a useful leg right now...).

Turns out he had taken a stance inside the house at the door and was keeping our nieghbors wandering dog standing there out of the house (about twice the size of my dog, but mine is fearless and has chased her home until she is in her own yard a few times). She has jumped the fence a couple (more then a few) times but is harmless as far as I can tell, just looking for company.

We are on good terms with a majority of our neighbors so I'm not about to shoot their dog but I have been way more careful of letting mine out front without a leash on after a confrontation with out other neighbors dogs - thankfully no injuries and they are huge dog lovers and handled it very well.

This thread has reminded me that when I start walking again, I'll have a walking stick and either a gun or a knife with me since I will be out multiple times a day so we are bound to find trouble at some point, but hopefully not.
I can relate to that feeling, and the instant knowing that 'this isn't a regular bark'. Personally I think it's a good thing that your dog new the boundary to defend and rose to the occasion; that's what I want my dog to do, although more in an human intruder scenario. Yes, a known neighbor's dog combined with no actual physical fight occurring, I wouldn't shoot the dog either. I see a lot of trainers who carry pepper spray, and for the most part I think it's the best go to defense, certainly first in line for an escalation of force in a lot of scenarios. It does get messy though, and everyone nearby, you and your own dog will get a little dose too. Counterpoint: some dogs just see the stick and stay away, so there is that benefit too.

My Czech Shepherd was a total dick to other dogs but gentle as a lamb to little kids. He was got a way from me one day and was all over the neighbor's lab, and I will admit I was about one second away from putting a round thru his thick skull...good dog or not.

Everybody thinks their dog is kind and gentle because it is fine with their family, but then a non-family entity (human, pet, livestock) enters the picture and the dog responds in a way they didn't think was possible, or that they ignored.

We had a german shorthair and we had several family cats, but any strange cat that dog would chase and kill if the cat ran from it and the dog could catch it.

Neighbors dog is fine with people - just barks at them, but is afraid of them and will back/run away. Cats, rabbits, other dogs, mice, any other animal, it can and will kill or get into a fight with and will not back down from. It has killed pets and beat up other dogs.

It is all about context.

It is a good thing that Oregon (and many western states) law is fairly explicit about dogs and other peoples pets/livestock and dog attacks - in favor of someone putting down the dog if necessary. Dogs are one of the reasons I sometimes carry firearms around here (more so than cougars or bears); a lot of people up here let their dogs roam a lot more than they should (I just saw one again on the road last night, a good mile away from his home) - feral dogs are another reason (a lot of people dump their dogs in the countryside).

I can relate to that feeling, and the instant knowing that 'this isn't a regular bark'. Personally I think it's a good thing that your dog new the boundary to defend and rose to the occasion; that's what I want my dog to do, although more in an human intruder scenario. Yes, a known neighbor's dog combined with no actual physical fight occurring, I wouldn't shoot the dog either. I see a lot of trainers who carry pepper spray, and for the most part I think it's the best go to defense, certainly first in line for an escalation of force in a lot of scenarios. It does get messy though, and everyone nearby, you and your own dog will get a little dose too. Counterpoint: some dogs just see the stick and stay away, so there is that benefit too.

The stick is so I don't hurt my leg again:D.

I will see if I can find a small single use spray to put on the leash handle - I don't really want to hit an aggressive dog if at all possible.. I wouldn't want someone to do that to my dog over a misunderstanding if at all possible.

Thanks for the reminder and idea;)

Edit: He is a Lhasa Apso and the breed was used in Tibetan Temples for centuries as watch dogs so they (at least mine does) have a very good sense of who belongs and who doesn't.

He meets strangers and friends at the door 100% differently. He has even remembered people who havnt been back to my house for up to 5 years.

Many dogs have no idea of a boundary, some only the slightest idea.

Neighbor's dog mostly roams everywhere within the neighborhood and beyond, chasing deer (and reportedly an elk, but I find an elk on Chehalem hard to believe) - but it knows not to go onto one neighbor's yard where it got into a fight with their female dog (it is female too) but plays with their male dog when it comes off their property; the neighbor beat the dog with a stick to break them up and it is afraid of the neighbor now (the dog was beat in the past be somebody; pick up anything, even a twig, and it will run away).

The stick is so I don't hurt my leg again:D.

I will see if I can find a small single use spray to put on the leash handle - I don't really want to hit an aggressive dog if at all possible.. I wouldn't want someone to do that to my dog over a misunderstanding if at all possible.

Thanks for the reminder and idea;)
I get a small canister from ebay, called 'Guard Dog Security' appropriately, it's about 5 bucks and is 2.5" long and 3/4" in diameter, with a split ring to put on a key chain, what have you. It's mace, pepperspray (18%, the maximum used by police/military supposedly) and uv marker. I would suggest for purely dog issues getting a less potent mix. The main thing though, as you may know, is that the spray has a good range so you can get it deployed without having the threat too close, as well as keep the spray on target as much as possible. Buy a few and practice with one (with goggles and mask just) to see how it works and familiarize yourself with it.
My .02 cents.

I get a small canister from ebay, called 'Guard Dog Security' appropriately, it's about 5 bucks and is 2.5" long and 3/4" in diameter, with a split ring to put on a key chain, what have you. It's mace, pepperspray (18%, the maximum used by police/military supposedly) and uv marker. I would suggest for purely dog issues getting a less potent mix. The main thing though, as you may know, is that the spray has a good range so you can get it deployed without having the threat too close, as well as keep the spray on target as much as possible. Buy a few and practice with one (with goggles and mask just) to see how it works and familiarize yourself with it.
My .02 cents.

The suggestion and advice are both appreciated!:)

.Dogs are one of the reasons I sometimes carry firearms around here..
So did the French.. enter the magnificent (that was a joke) Velo Dog..

th?&id=OIP.Mfcfbd788d2518aafafe3aa49d54d84fbo0&w=299&h=213&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

"Early model Velo-Dog with trigger guard. The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-Francois François galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog. Attacks the name is a compound word composed " of " velocipede "and". dog"

I work next to a Portland city park and I see owners with their dogs off leash all of the time. Of course when their dog approaches someone you hear then say, "it's ok. He/she/it's a nice dog". Sometimes the dog is running after another dog and the owner is calling their dog is not returning to the owner. Lot's of "I'm sorrys" and what not.
It's not ok. Keep the f-in dog on the leash...
I have two dogs. One's big and the other so little a larger dog could kill it with one bite. I'm not going to let the big one get in a fight or the little one die because some careless owner doesn't keep control of their dog. I'd a shot the SOB, too.
Good on the police for recognizing the "shooter" acted appropriately.

Keep the f-in dog on the leash...
That goes for the National Forest also - at least if you are in an area frequented by others - like roads - a few years ago a friend, his GF and I were quad riding and we were fairly remote and I was about a 100 yards behind them when I saw them stop. I stopped and cracked a canned beverage when all of a sudden my friend yells my name and I hear a dog barking loudly so I hauled azz up the road to see a large dog advancing on my friends GF. Normally we didn't OC on the quads and kept guns in the front rack compartment but the dog was between them and they're quads. Well I had my (then) Taurus 605 out and covering the dog when Ken and Barbie ride up on their mountain bikes and called it off. I told then it was 'that close' and gave them a quick and impersonal lesson on the 'actions' some people take when trekking in the woods.

"Police say two dogs, both unleashed, and a third dog, that was leashed, had been fighting. According to investigators, the owners of the third dog tried to get them under control. He managed to calm one animal down, but when the other did not pull back, he shot him."

Not sure why people insist on taking their dogs out unleashed in public. This whole thing probably could have been avoided if all three dogs were leashed rather than just one.

I've had to break up more than one tussle between my leashed dog & someone's "don't worry he's fine" unleashed dog when the owner couldn't call the dog off.

I've had a friend who was a liberal hippy douchebag and another who is the exact opposite--Both believed they could talk their dog out of it's normal 'doggy desire' to attack, even though the dogs in question had attacked on other occasions--Even my explanation that this 'behavior denial'
is the definition of insanity could not change either's belief that their dog would likely behave itself 'next time' this same type situation arose:eek:

"I mean, it was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in a neighborhood with children walking around and dog park right down the street -- a little doggy place here.
Yea I am just all broken up over this 'little doggy place here' - I wonder how terrifying this person thinks of ragheads coming to the US and killing people in department stores.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top