JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago when I was barely able to afford any kind of hand gun I inherited my grand father's 25 auto. I occasionally carried it in my pocket when I went into Portland because that is where the criminal element is most dense.

Upon leaving a meeting and proceeding to my car, I encountered two dogs. One large and one small. I avoided them when they first passed since one was growling. After the dogs went on down the street I headed the other way to may car.

I got to the street and was standing between two cars waiting to cross. It was a residential street, and I felt relatively safe until one of the dogs showed up in front of me and the other one behind me. The small one was growling and snapping at the back of my legs. The large one just advanced toward me growling.

While I had very little confidence in the little 25, I pulled it out of my pocket and cycled a round into the chamber. I held it at arms length and when the large dog put his mouth over my hand I pulled the trigger.

The attack stopped. The dogs ran off and the neighborhood was quiet. I crossed the street and left the area.
While I regret harming the dog, I do not regret defending myself.

If you own a dog it is best to keep in in your yard when you are not with it. Failure to do that could result in you being sued for a very large amount of money, and that could be the least of your problems.

Unleashed dogs are the worst
UNTRAINED unleashed dogs are.... I've raised a bunch of them to voice command, and even when one would take off in bully mode they'd come to heel when called back. Since the last one died years ago I've not been interested in owning dogs again... too much of this stupid stuff, and folks treating dogs as if thjey were children with all rights and priviledges thereof.. except sans duty to properly train. I've seen the "dog parks" and read the stories of attack incidents, and seen the general fear of dogs everywhere. When I have fifty acres in the outback, maybe.

Washington and Oregon both have stock laws... that means, if an uncontrolled animal is threatening yours, you are lawfully able to kill the attacker. I suppose if I maintain a dog for any of a number of reasons, my animal could be considered "stock". In any case, MY dog is my personal property, and another animal seriously threatening my dog can be \considered a serious threat ti ME.

Some years ago I lived outside Vancouver Washington and kept geese and ducks. They had their "house" close to mine, and were free to roam a few acres to forage. One morning I awoke to the ganders creating a huge ruckus, and saw a large German Shepherd vying for an opening to get past them and on to the young ones as they foraged at the edge of a small wood. This was about 200 yards from my bedroom window. I grabbed my brand new Ruger 10/22, sighted on the left shoulder of the dog, raised my POA up "a good bit", and sqeezed off a rind. A second or two later the dog reacted... I had hit him. He immediately turned and began running away from the geese and toward the house. I hit him at least three more times as he tried to escape. He laboured up the hill and was gone. I stopped firing as he crested the hill, as I had no idea where the rounds would go with no dirt backdrop. Three hours later the sheriff rolls up, gets out, greets me.... "say, what was all the shooting about this morning? I described what had happened, he said "well, I told that lady if her dog had been after mky geese he would not even come back to tell her. He complimented me on my fine shooting and bid me good day. Before that I asked if the dog had survived... no, he died in her backyard. No fence. No control. Now, no dog.

I've been attacked whilst riding my bike in rural areas, as well, in fact that is one of the main reasons I went and got the Mother May I Card to carry.. and I ALWAYS carry when on the bike, which is a lot. I reported one pair of vicious dogs to animal control, they had prior complaints, the owner let the dog guy take them and put them down once she realised she was facing jail time if they were seen off her property again.. having attacked and drawn blood. That is a good law.

In NYC, animal attacks are the second highest category of firearm discharges:

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Multnomah Village is my neighborhood. The truth of the matter is that the people interviewed in this article were NOT witnesses, and did not see what happened. They heard the commotion and ran over when the press arrived to stick their political views in there. Sure, there are a few people who are appalled that a gun was fired in the Village, but for the most part, most folks are not blaming the CCP holder. The majority of us are on the leashed dog's owner's side, and most feel that he did what he had to do to prevent his dog from being killed.

UN-BE-FRIGGIN-LIEVE-ABLE! HIS leashed dog was attacked by 2 UNLEASHED pit-bulls, he shoots and kills one of them with a CHP permitted gun, the pit-bull's owner is cited, not him, and HE is the BAD GUY! :eek: Oh what a world we live in. o_O

Just what is a "CHP permitted gun"?

Multnomah Village is my neighborhood. The truth of the matter is that the people interviewed in this article were NOT witnesses, and did not see what happened. They heard the commotion and ran over when the press arrived to stick their political views in there. Sure, there are a few people who are appalled that a gun was fired in the Village, but for the most part, most folks are not blaming the CCP holder. The majority of us are on the leashed dog's owner's side, and most feel that he did what he had to do to prevent his dog from being killed.

What is a "CCP holder"?

Unleashed dogs are way too common.

I used to enjoy disc golf for the excersise for me and my dog but people all over the park were loopholing the rules by letting their dogs run around with a very short leash trailing behind them as they ran around.

Yea, most were well trained but my dog is 24 lbs and no match for a dog twice his weight much less a dog like a pit bull (nothing against them and know many good ones so I'm not a pit hater other then I think they are fairly ugly looking IMO).

What do y'all think these dogs were bred for??
The name "Pit Bull" should be a clue, they were
bred to fight in a "pit" which might just be a ring that they couldn't get out of. The fights weren't always to the death
but the loser may have been damaged beyond repair, and
concequently put down. Only the winners or those who wouldn't quit were used in breeding. So is it a surprise when one of these dogs reverts to its breeding?
Their build and muscles along with those powerful jaws are a result of selective breeding with one thing in mind. Fighting! My wife and I have bred dogs for years, so I know a little of which I speak.
Now ask yourselves why does this woman with a newborn in her arms want such an ANIMAL in her house?
I'm looking forward to other views. But think before you reply please and no flaming, that will only get you ejected from the forum by the Admin.
Gabby

What do y'all think these dogs were bred for??
The name "Pit Bull" should be a clue, they were
bred to fight in a "pit" which might just be a ring that they couldn't get out of. The fights weren't always to the death
but the loser may have been damaged beyond repair, and
concequently put down. Only the winners or those who wouldn't quit were used in breeding. So is it a surprise when one of these dogs reverts to its breeding?
Their build and muscles along with those powerful jaws are a result of selective breeding with one thing in mind. Fighting! My wife and I have bred dogs for years, so I know a little of which I speak.
Now ask yourselves why does this woman with a newborn in her arms want such an ANIMAL in her house?
I'm looking forward to other views. But think before you reply please and no flaming, that will only get you ejected from the forum by the Admin.
Gabby

They are intensely loyal and a good family pet if you train it properly.

They were bred for physical traits, personality is largely the owner or parents training / teaching.

Fear mongering on Pits is akin to German Shepards - who are also very loyal.

Best friend has had 3 and 0 problems raising a baby (now toddler) with them in the house.

Also one of the very few dogs mine will tolerate around him (my friends not pits in general)

Last Edited:
I'm not sure what it is called elsewhere, however in Oregon the license is a: Concealed Handgun License ... I understand the media getting it wrong, but I think we should use the correct name.

It's a little hard up here near the border of WA and OR. I think ours are Concealed Weapon Permit - I could be wrong on the exact term but know it differs from OR so I always get them confused.

The breeds are different.

It'd be naive not to plan for the typical threats which our urban environments present.

I'm a dog person but wary of anything over 30 lbs...

I'm just saying that a pit is no more aggressive then a Rot, Doberman or German Shepard.

It's on the owner as to how they act. It takes a very confident and structured person to have those dogs as pets and meet the breeds needs properly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top