1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. The lucky winners of the NWFA Fall Giveaway 2016 have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon / Washington State Suppressor Use

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by emike, Sep 30, 2014.

1. emike

emike Portland (unfortunately) Member

I live in Oregon, can I take my can to Washinton and Shoot it there?

Also vice-versa, If I lived in WA can I take my can to OR and shoot there?

Thanks in advance for your insights...

Also please share where I might be able to find an answer if you happen to know where to go or who to talk to.

2. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As I understand the law--yes. You can cross state lines with a suppressor (assuming it's legal in
    both states). Darned near anything else NFA requires that you file a form with the ATF informing
    them that you are going out of state.
  3. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

4. Modeler

Modeler Ketchikan, Alaska Soccer Fan

It is legal to transport a suppressor across state lines assuming the item is legal to possess in each state. The legal citation can be found on the back of the Form 4 near the bottom under the heading "Interstate Movement".

From the Form 4:

Interstate Movement: If the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce.
    Since a Silencer (the legal term) isn't included in that list it is presumably legal to transport it across state lines without said permission from the ATF.

Incidentally, if you do wish to gain approval for Interstate Movement of an NFA item you would use ATF Form 5320.20

As always, you can call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500 with any other questions.
  5. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

They "Ask" you to notify them by letter if you are travelling out of state with a can but, it's not required. And honestly I think they probably just throw your letter in the round file.
  6. telero

telero Salem area, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is no law that Silencers or "Any Other Weapons" require a 5320.20 to be temporarily transferred interstate.
    There is no law that any NFA item has to have a 5320.20 filed for temporary intrastate transfer.
    The law requiring the 5320.20 is referenced on various forms.

The Form 4 (as well as other forms) does state that you have to give notice of change of any change of address of the item on the form.
    There is no reference to a law that requires you to do that, so I'm not sure that is a legal requirement.

The ATF does like the NFA registry to be correct, so they do ask that any permanent change of address is submitted via a 5320.20.
    If the change of address is going to be interstate, you'd be required to fill the 5320.20 for anything that is not a silencer or AOW.
    If the change of address is going to be intrastate, there may not be a legal requirement notify of the change of address, but a 5320.20 would be used for notification.