JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Oregon, can I take my can to Washinton and Shoot it there?

Also vice-versa, If I lived in WA can I take my can to OR and shoot there?

Thanks in advance for your insights...

Also please share where I might be able to find an answer if you happen to know where to go or who to talk to.

Best,
-M

As I understand the law--yes. You can cross state lines with a suppressor (assuming it's legal in
both states). Darned near anything else NFA requires that you file a form with the ATF informing
them that you are going out of state.

I live in Oregon, can I take my can to Washinton and Shoot it there?

Also vice-versa, If I lived in WA can I take my can to OR and shoot there?

Thanks in advance for your insights...

Also please share where I might be able to find an answer if you happen to know where to go or who to talk to.

Best,
-M

It is legal to transport a suppressor across state lines assuming the item is legal to possess in each state. The legal citation can be found on the back of the Form 4 near the bottom under the heading "Interstate Movement".

From the Form 4:

Interstate Movement: If the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce.
Since a Silencer (the legal term) isn't included in that list it is presumably legal to transport it across state lines without said permission from the ATF.

Incidentally, if you do wish to gain approval for Interstate Movement of an NFA item you would use <broken link removed>

As always, you can call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500 with any other questions.

They "Ask" you to notify them by letter if you are travelling out of state with a can but, it's not required. And honestly I think they probably just throw your letter in the round file.

There is no law that Silencers or "Any Other Weapons" require a 5320.20 to be temporarily transferred interstate.
There is no law that any NFA item has to have a 5320.20 filed for temporary intrastate transfer.
The law requiring the 5320.20 is referenced on various forms.

The Form 4 (as well as other forms) does state that you have to give notice of change of any change of address of the item on the form.
There is no reference to a law that requires you to do that, so I'm not sure that is a legal requirement.

The ATF does like the NFA registry to be correct, so they do ask that any permanent change of address is submitted via a 5320.20.
If the change of address is going to be interstate, you'd be required to fill the 5320.20 for anything that is not a silencer or AOW.
If the change of address is going to be intrastate, there may not be a legal requirement notify of the change of address, but a 5320.20 would be used for notification.

Strange situation. Years ago we just moved across town and notified the BATFE of such. We received the form back in the mail from the ATF with a short handwritten sentence on the top that they already knew we had moved. We never told them. Still don't know how they found out. Strange.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top