JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have to get permission to exercise a "right" - it isn't a right at all.

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

These new laws are still the law until some black robe says they are not. Could well be many years down the road. In the mean time? they are still the law sadly. Again a LOT of gun owners sat on their hands and let this happen. :(

Was wondering, after January 1 2024, what about wa residents buying long guns out of state. For example, if someone from Spokane wanted to go to the Idaho cabelas and purchase a pump shotgun, could they with a same day pick up?

Was wondering, after January 1 2024, what about wa residents buying long guns out of state. For example, if someone from Spokane wanted to go to the Idaho cabelas and purchase a pump shotgun, could they with a same day pick up?
The out of state FFL I supposed to follow the same rules as the residents own state. Results may vary.

No, Idaho dealer is required by federal law, to follow the rules of the purchaser's state of residence.

Really? I'd assume since the purchaser is an OR resident the firearm would be sent to an OR FFL and they would have to comply with OR laws.

But there are bunch of mix-ups and/or lack of information. Questions I have are:

1. What type of firearms requires rechecks? It is only pistols and semi-auto rifles or every firearm?
2. What is the policy on data collected by WSP? Can they give the information to the ATF or any other federal agency? Private businesses (eg. financial institutions)?

Considering there's no provision to be removed from the list like moving out-of-state or country or giving up the firearm, the authority is still there to gather HIPAA data on you yearly from healthcare providers in non-WA states since you've agreed to it initially.

Really? I'd assume since the purchaser is an OR resident the firearm would be sent to an OR FFL and they would have to comply with OR laws.

But there are bunch of mix-ups and/or lack of information. Questions I have are:

1. What type of firearms requires rechecks? It is only pistols and semi-auto rifles or every firearm?
2. What is the policy on data collected by WSP? Can they give the information to the ATF or any other federal agency? Private businesses (eg. financial institutions)?

Considering there's no provision to be removed from the list like moving out-of-state or country or giving up the firearm, the authority is still there to gather HIPAA data on you yearly from healthcare providers in non-WA states since you've agreed to it initially.
The one answering you is an FFL. Think he has it wrong? Ask several more FFL's and see if one of them will give you the answer you want? Not sure what that will accomplish but there are lots of them you can ask. :s0092:

The one answering you is an FFL. Think he has it wrong? Ask several more FFL's and see if one of them will give you the answer you want? Not sure what that will accomplish but there are lots of them you can ask. :s0092:
Oh, I trust Dan at Sporting Systems. I just think he read it wrong. If an OR resident bought a firearm in WA then they have to abide by OR laws and not both WA and OR. The buyer wouldn't be able to take possession of the firearm as the it would be shipped to an OR FFL then its OR laws comes into play.

The Feds say that when conducting a transfer for an out-of-state purchaser that the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee's business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

Nothing in current OR law would prevent an Oregon FFL from doing transfers for WA residents as they have been in 2023.

That leads us to what WA law is regarding WA residents purchasing a firearm in Oregon. That is summed up here in RCW 9.41.122:

Out-of-state purchasing.
Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

You have to ask yourself if a WA resident purchases a firearm in Oregon is any part of that transaction taking place in WA. If the answer is "no", then according to WA law, the Oregon FFL's customer is not subject to the procedures and background checks required by the chapter.

FFLs are free to arrive at their own interpretations (and there will be many) of this section of the WA code but my favorite FFL interprets it as I do.

Last Edited:
Oh, I trust Dan at Sporting Systems. I just think he read it wrong. If an OR resident bought a firearm in WA then they have to abide by OR laws and not both WA and OR. The buyer wouldn't be able to take possession of the firearm as the it would be shipped to an OR FFL then its OR laws comes into play.
There are gray areas when it comes to following the FEDs rule: provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

Imagine OR law stated that the 4473 had to be filled out in red ink with your left hand. Also imagine that WA law required the 4473 to filled out with your right hand and blue ink. This would create a problem for FFLs and their customers.

When State transfer laws conflict with each other, the FFL is going to have to make some judgment calls.

Last Edited:
What if you are oregon resident and you buy a gun in Washington, do still wait 10 day?
So far I have corresponded with two different FFL,s in WA about a oregon resident purchasing or trading firearms and there answer is the same , firearm has to be transferred to a ffl in Oregon to do the background check, ? I don't get that!

So far I have corresponded with two different FFL,s in WA about a oregon resident purchasing or trading firearms and there answer is the same , firearm has to be transferred to a ffl in Oregon to do the background check, ? I don't get that!
Nothing new there. Unless you are talking about pre 2016 (maybe 2014? Can't remember) where person to person didn't require a bg check in OR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top