JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every 4 years and 11 months, OSP will erase your BGC record.
Over and over every 5 years I have to prove that a 1980 class B conviction in Utah "which has been expunged many years ago" is not a valid reason to give me a delay.

Wow, this thread is blowing up! Thanks again for all the support!

Here's an update. I just called FICS and noticed that they had changed their voicemail to a much longer message, absolutely full of empty air. Give the number a call yourselves, so much handwaving and "you can do this, you can do that". Amazing we pay for this.

I just finished another email, it's been over 3 weeks now. I still haven't written a letter, but I'm going to this week. If anyone has any recommendations for a good lawyer, please PM me. I'm in Portland. As such I have my doubts that my city / county / district representatives would be any help. I have to wonder if reaching out to other reps would!

Seriously, officers, all I'm asking is to know why I was delayed. It's not a trick question, promise.

Last Edited:
I believe your FFL that is handling the BGC has a direct line they can call to OSP and if you ask them to call in your behalf, they can hand you the phone after making contact and the OSP agent on the phone will ask you some ID questions and then they have to inform you of why you're being delayed.

I believe your FFL that is handling the BGC has a direct line they can call to OSP and if you ask them to call in your behalf, they can hand you the phone after making contact and the OSP agent on the phone will ask you some ID questions and then they have to inform you of why you're being delayed.
I think that would be a smart first move, but I don't want to make enemies of this FFL as they are quite conveniently located just around the corner from my house. I've already gone back in once around the 2 week mark to ask them what they felt my next move would be and it was obvious to me that they did not want to get involved. How should I go about asking?

Wow, this thread is blowing up! Thanks again for all the support!

Here's an update. I just called FICS and noticed that they had changed their voicemail to a much longer message, absolutely full of empty air. Give the number a call yourselves, so much handwaving and "you can do this, you can do that". Amazing we pay for this.

I just finished another email, it's been over 3 weeks now. I still haven't written a letter, but I'm going to this week. If anyone has any recommendations for a good lawyer, please PM me. I'm in Portland. As such I have my doubts that my city / county / district representatives would be any help. I have to wonder if reaching out to other reps would!

Seriously, officers, all I'm asking is to know why I was delayed. It's not a trick question, promise.
I contacted my lawyer unless you want to sue osp nothing will happen. It's a state agency your going against it sucks. I just got done with the same method you used 3 weeks ago. I just went down to osp hq and asked to talk to someone this was literally 2 weeks ago. They approved it and i bought a new rifle last weekend and all fixed no delay.

I contacted my lawyer unless you want to sue osp nothing will happen. It's a state agency your going against it sucks. I just got done with the same method you used 3 weeks ago. I just went down to osp hq and asked to talk to someone this was literally 2 weeks ago. They approved it and i bought a new rifle last weekend and all fixed no delay.
That sounds reasonable enough and a drive to Salem is certainly cheaper than a lawyer. Maybe after I try @jbett98's idea.

Try having them cancel the BGC and resubmit it. Then offer to pay the extra $10.00
It cancels after 30days and you have to pay for another one regardless. Once your in the system as delay and it hasn't been cleared you get flagged right away again.That is what osp told me when I went down there.

I've been delayed for 30 days and after that time period OSP didn't extend the delay and the FFL let me walk out with the firearm after a 5 day wait.

They have a direct phone line but it is only for FFL mess ups like if they miss enter your info or such. OSP will not release you info to anyone but you or other law enforcement. They will not tell the ffl what the delay is about. If they do they open themselves to law suit.

I was stating that the FFL I was dealing with called the OSP line and once he got a person on the line he told the OSP to explain to me what the hold up was.
I answered a few questions regarding my date of birth and drivers license number and after they verified it was me on the line, they proceeded to explain what the hold up was.
I didn't state that the FFL was asking any questions in my behalf, just that he used his FFL direct line to get me a live person on the phone, as I had been trying to call the civillian hot line for weeks and which they never pick up the phone.

Update, and time to mark this as "solved"!

I went to Salem yesterday and went full Karen. Nah, just kidding, I was very polite but firmly asked for the manager. The receptionist just said "I will put it on the note". And to the surprise of exactly NO ONE, guess what, I was granted the "privilege" of speaking to a supervisor and not the manager.

So the long and short of it is that I share a name (full name, including middle name) with someone that has a warrant out on them. Sure would have been nice to know that before I drove an hour to find out.

You all don't know me but I'm a very easy-going kind of guy. I wasn't here to give anyone a hard time, I just wanted to get my property. But you could tell the supervisor has had to deal with all manner of pissed off citizens and was expecting the same from me. But I did take the opportunity to point out to her that I had been repeatedly trying to contact the department for a solid month via email and telephone. Her response was very dismissive: "oh come on now, you only had to wait a month." I wanted to tell her "this is the Firearms INSTANT Check System and a month is not instant" but I didn't. Probably a good thing because I just looked it up and believe it or don't, one definition is "the present or current month". Who knew?

Remember kids, we do not have a judicial system in this country, we have a LEGAL system in this country. Very important distinction there.

Again, this all happened yesterday. I got a call this morning and now my shiny new plinker is in my possession. My suppressors should be arriving any day now (those I've had to wait nearly a year for).

Thanks once again for all the support!

Update, and time to mark this as "solved"!

I went to Salem yesterday and went full Karen. Nah, just kidding, I was very polite but firmly asked for the manager. The receptionist just said "I will put it on the note". And to the surprise of exactly NO ONE, guess what, I was granted the "privilege" of speaking to a supervisor and not the manager.

So the long and short of it is that I share a name (full name, including middle name) with someone that has a warrant out on them. Sure would have been nice to know that before I drove an hour to find out.

You all don't know me but I'm a very easy-going kind of guy. I wasn't here to give anyone a hard time, I just wanted to get my property. But you could tell the supervisor has had to deal with all manner of pissed off citizens and was expecting the same from me. But I did take the opportunity to point out to her that I had been repeatedly trying to contact the department for a solid month via email and telephone. Her response was very dismissive: "oh come on now, you only had to wait a month." I wanted to tell her "this is the Firearms INSTANT Check System and a month is not instant" but I didn't. Probably a good thing because I just looked it up and believe it or don't, one definition is "the present or current month". Who knew?

Remember kids, we do not have a judicial system in this country, we have a LEGAL system in this country. Very important distinction there.

Again, this all happened yesterday. I got a call this morning and now my shiny new plinker is in my possession. My suppressors should be arriving any day now (those I've had to wait nearly a year for).

Thanks once again for all the support!
Really happy for you. Will this little visit fix the problem of the similar name issue? Any mention of getting a "PIN" ? I'd be afraid this might happen to you again.

I have the same thing going with me but mine is a lot newer. i consulted my lawyer and she said nothing we can do but expunge my record. the cost is $1,000 to $2,000 and i can do it next year. We're dealing with state agencies that don't like to play with each other and takes forever to get things done. you would think they would all be on the same system and talk all the time but they don't. I myself went down to OSP headquarters and had a complete different experience they approved my delay by time i left Salem. then again i was approved 2 times within the last month before my 3rd delay lol. When i went in there i asked questions and was looking for answers. when the agent couldn't give me any valid answer's i just looked at him and asked "Then why am i delayed per state law you should approve it by now".
I thought expunging records were easier now due to new laws passed recently. Like 85$ and no attorney needed. I will try to find article and provide a link. I was delayed for 3 months back starting in feb. That is when i looked at getting my record expunged from 21 yrs ago.

I thought expunging records were easier now due to new laws passed recently. Like 85$ and no attorney needed. I will try to find article and provide a link. I was delayed for 3 months back starting in feb. That is when i looked at getting my record expunged from 21 yrs ago.

Really happy for you. Will this little visit fix the problem of the similar name issue? Any mention of getting a "PIN" ? I'd be afraid this might happen to you again.
They didn't tell me exactly what the warrant was for (fair) but just looking at the mugshots websites out there, it seems my evil twin is pretty unattractive. I am expecting to have to go through this again and will be planning accordingly.

Such is life.

They are easier but I still within the time line of not being able to do it :s0054:. After my trip down to OSP HQ it seemed to resolve my issue for now. I have bought another new firearm and traded firearms with someone, so 2 back ground checks since. I still get hung up for 25min so someone is actually looking at my review but no delays. I would suggest anyone that is delayed and they know they should be just head down to Salem and talk to them in person. If enough people go down there to give them a earful hopefully they will stop with so many delays.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads