JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Social Media has been a GREAT friend to Cops since it took off. An AMAZING number of crimes are found by the perps putting themselves on the net doing stuff. It has been amazing to watch.
"In this report, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) is reviewing legal compliance by the NSA and FBI in accessing the NSA database that houses the private electronic records, metadata, of every American. This is the core of the FISA-702 authorization, where 702 indicates an American citizen protected from illegal searches and seizures by the Fourth Amendment.
The NSA database contains the private electronic data (metadata) of every single American – including emails, text messages, social media posts, instant messages, direct messages, phone calls, geolocation identifiers, purchases by electronic funds, banking records and any keystroke any American person puts into any electronic device for any reason. [A big issue here is the use of Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) but that's for a different article.]"

Obviously every post made here on NWFA is recorded and kept for future reference.

Obviously every post made here on NWFA is recorded and kept for future reference.
Not exactly. It is analyzed (by an algorithm) first. If it is of interest to the NSA or is from/to someone/somewhere that has been flagged by the feds, then it is kept. Otherwise, the metadata (who/when/where) is logged and the content deleted - probably.

If you are withing 7 relationship "steps" of a flagged person of interest, then it is possible all of your ELINT is recorded. The NSA knows all of your relationships - friends, people you work with, entities you do business with, neighbors, family, etc. - that is the least amount of metadata they have on almost everybody in the world who uses any kind of electronic comms - and they have a database/analysis that can instantly determine those relationships.

They also have a meta-schema of words/phrases for their analysis algorithms - so when someone uses the word "blue" in a phrase, the algorithm knows whether this is in reference to blue jeans, blues music, blue paint or someone has the blues (mood).

I used to work on the software that companies and the gov uses to build those ontology schemas that help them make sense of data - it was actually very interesting work. I am guessing that the new AI LLMs probably use those schemas/vocabularies (maybe help build them too - as it is kind of tedious work for humans to build them - but I actually found it fun). I am guessing some of the spell/grammar checking and auto-complete we see online uses the schemas as I see that Google auto-complete - the last thing I did for that company was add spell checking to the inputs of the terms/etc. into the DB.

Anyway, enough nerd stuff. If you become "interesting" to the gov then yes, you should assume most everything you ever posted to the internet is something they have logged. Along with all of your finances, telephone calls, SMS/MMS, your travels (especially in a vehicle with GPS or your phone, either GPS or cell location) and so on - NSA ELINT covers everything electronic that it can capture.

Seven steps is a LOT of people swept up in the net, given that you can generally connect any one random person to any other random person with only six... the whole thing needs to be Carthagized along with all who created it.

One would be foolish to think that firearm forums like NWFA are not monitored or at least looked in on from time to time by some sort of government agency.

In any event...

I do know that NWFA has been in the past joined by people who then copy and paste postings from here to other websites.
Often these postings were cleverly edited to read differently .
Many posts that were copied and pasted were not copy and pasted as a whole...
But only in portions that could be wildly taken out of their original context and read into meaning something totally different than what was originally posted here at NWFA.

Post your thoughts here on NWFA...however be sure to post wisely.
Andy

Obviously every post made here on NWFA is recorded and kept for future reference
The 3 Letters are going to be Suspicious of my Large Mammal Purchase….
Elephant Party Hard GIF

:eek: a trunk full of dangerous right there.

Not sure if anything I post is wise :)

Or just assume that you're already on the Day One page of the Waco/Ruby Ridge/Kristallnacht Frag List and live your life accordingly. If they want you and can't FIND something they will MANUFACTURE it.

Seven steps is a LOT of people swept up in the net, given that you can generally connect any one random person to any other random person with only six... the whole thing needs to be Carthagized along with all who created it.
There is more to it than a simple connection; they collect a lot of metadata about the relationship and yes, categorize it in various ways, including type of relationship, when was the last time you contacted them, how often you contact the person, etc. - a lot of different types of metadata goes into this. Such metadata is not hard to keep/collect/analyze and is very useful should you become of interest.

I just figure I'm on lots of lists both firearms related and others. I mean, I look at something for sale on crags list or Amazon and then get adds for like items. So how else would they know if they didn't track me. It doesn't bother me that "they" know who I am. I know who "they" are as well.

Ah yes, the cornerstone of the American Justice System….in an alternate reality where either Nazi Germany or the USSR prevail over the United States!
Considering that the New Left is best described as "a reconvergence of the split between Nazism and Communism reuniting the Extreme Left into a whole new toxic mutant form"... either that or returning to the French Jacobin roots.

Start getting ready to #PartyLikeIt's1793, folks... and there's no Britain or Spain coming to help evacuate the sane and rational. We're gonna have to get rid of Robespierre ourselves, hopefully without creating a Napoleon in the process.

I just figure I'm on lots of lists both firearms related and others. I mean, I look at something for sale on crags list or Amazon and then get adds for like items. So how else would they know if they didn't track me. It doesn't bother me that "they" know who I am. I know who "they" are as well.
Oh yeah....those algorithms are tracking me. 🥧

ui_pie.jpg

Edit to add: It is creepy when someone's phone listens in on a face-to-face conversation. And within minutes they have a related "News" Article or Advertisement pop-up on their phone.

There is more to it than a simple connection; they collect a lot of metadata about the relationship and yes, categorize it in various ways, including type of relationship, when was the last time you contacted them, how often you contact the person, etc. - a lot of different types of metadata goes into this. Such metadata is not hard to keep/collect/analyze and is very useful should you become of interest.
Patriot act gave government the power to spy on us all, certainly they put the data in collection sites to use when they want to. Buying large quantities of ammo on a credit card certainly is looked at, 80,000 rounds can't go un noticed. :D

Hopefully they look at other data to see if a person is dangerous, maybe a background check. I think if they look at the gun boards like NWFA they just love all the pictures of people and their guns, the scores on buying and selling and the "likes". Information freely give.:s0142:

Patriot act gave government the power to spy on us all, certainly they put the data in collection sites to use when they want to. Buying large quantities of ammo on a credit card certainly is looked at, 80,000 rounds can't go un noticed. :D
They do not have the storage capacity to store every bit of data, even when compressed - nor do they need to. The metadata is sufficient until such time as they take an interest in someone. Metadata is more than sufficient for most purposes and much much easier to categorize/search/analyze.

I am sure they do not have nor need to store all the vids or songs/etc. that I view/listen to. The vids that everybody watches, alone, would exceed their storage capacity.

They do not have the storage capacity to store every bit of data, even when compressed - nor do they need to. The metadata is sufficient until such time as they take an interest in someone. Metadata is more than sufficient for most purposes and much much easier to categorize/search/analyze.

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top