JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Only one caliber:

• 9MM

Votes: 88 45.4%
  • 357SIG

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • .40S&W

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • .45ACP

Votes: 56 28.9%
  • .45 SUPER

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • .400 CORBON

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10MM

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 9x25 DILLON

• .50AE

• .440 CORBON

• Total voters
Has to be .45 acp, shot from a 1911, because... well...

IMG_1136.GIF

45 acp
Why shoot them 2 or 3 times? It just doesn't make sense. The 9 fans don't want to hear it because they are invested in the "as good as" philosophy. I'll stick with my 1911 or my fn.

I don't partake in nonsense polls, but I do point out the folly in leaving .357 magnum out in favor of four wildcats. What does this question do to further the conversation? I don't shoot for "simplicity." Why would you restrict yourself? Here's a similar question: which limb would you chop off at the ankle/wrist, and why?

Utter nonsense.

Yours. Just for being crabby... :p:p:p

I had good reasons to leave it out. .357 magnum is a rimmed cartridge, it's not reliable in semi-autos. This is a semi-auto only poll.
No it isn't. Title says "Only 1 handgun caliber." Poll says "Only one caliber." I can think of TWO semiautos that the .357 performs flawlessly. And you even listed one of the calibers of one of those platforms.

You also missed my point entirely.

45 acp
Why shoot them 2 or 3 times? It just doesn't make sense. The 9 fans don't want to hear it because they are invested in the "as good as" philosophy. I'll stick with my 1911 or my fn.

There are those of us old coots that probably "could" shoot a BG with a .45 but arthritis and a fixed budget make it not as good a choice for practice/drills that us old farts need more every day just to keep some resemblance of mediocre skills. :rolleyes:

No it isn't. Title says "Only 1 handgun caliber." Poll says "Only one caliber." I can think of TWO semiautos that the .357 performs flawlessly. And you even listed one of the calibers of one of those platforms.

You also missed my point entirely.

Oh wow, two!!! No, I understood. For example a tiny .380 is better than a 10mm in some situations... Show me a machine gun (that isn't belt fed) that will reliably feed .357 magnum. There's a reason 7.62x54R was phased out.

Last Edited:
My choice given the requirements is not on your list of options.

I would chose .30M1 at least three Semi Autos and two Wheel guns have been chambered for it.

If the round were given modern pistol technology I think it would be a great ONE and ONLY Pistol round.

My Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine would easily be accurate enough to Hunt Deer with it and with a Sierra 125Gr HPFP slug its hard hitting round at 1500= fps

Im a 45 fan but I have to vote 9mm because its size allows for the most variety in size of handguns... from pocket pistols to full size.

I have no idea what a SW10 feels like and you have no idea what my arthritis feels like.

WTF does "reload" mean?
Sw10 is mild, at 62 years and working with my hands all my life, I have an inkling of what you go through. Reloading is the only way I can enjoy shooting any more. I can load "factory" or reduced loads that are much easier on the joints without sacrificing much velocity. I also tend towards heavier guns,because, weight is your friend and helps manage recoil.

10mm
A gun is for killing. Hunting or defense, I want something that will drop the target at 50 yards or more. One shot, one kill - don't waste ammo.

I don't want to read about the abstractions like muzzle velocity or force at what distance. I want to see for myself.
I had a 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP. Shot them all at a barrel at 100 yards. Both the 45 and 40 were hitting the barrel when aiming at the top of the barrel. The 9mm was falling 15+ feet short. Sold it. Added a 10mm.

Shot the 40, 45 and 10mm at a 14 ga Steel plate, flat against a 12" wheel cut from a tree trunk. At ten yards, the bullets behaved thus:
  • The 40 penetrated each shot.
  • All of the 45 bullets bounced off.
  • The 10mm penetrated the plate and went clear through the wood. Impact dust clouds and chunks of wood flying out the back confirmed that.

40 S&W would be my second choice.

The notion of caliber availability is absurd. If you're concerned, reload.
When TEOTWAWKI hits, if you don't have ammo, you're hosed, or taking the ammo and guns off dead people.

Sw10 is mild, at 62 years and working with my hands all my life, I have an inkling of what you go through. Reloading is the only way I can enjoy shooting any more. I can load "factory" or reduced loads that are much easier on the joints without sacrificing much velocity. I also tend towards heavier guns,because, weight is your friend and helps manage recoil.

Well bless your heart. Teeny tiny inkling doesn't even to begin to describe what I have not described to you, nor which you can tell by assessing your own situation/health. You don't know me and you presume a lot.

Not competing with you but I'm 64, worked with my hands all my life, and destroyed them, am no longer able to do any job that requires using my hands, have loaded 230gr ball ammo with 2.8gr of Titewad at low velocity (650fps) low recoil, in a full size P14 that I felt like crying when I had to give it up because it was unpleasant to shoot 120rds in an IDPA competition.

Sorry, didn't appreciate the tone of your comments to me. Seemed like you were making many assumptions, like I don't know jack about anything, and being a jerk when I was just trying to answer your question about why use anything else. I didn't appreciate your comment about 9mm fanboys and I didn't post what I posted to garner suggestions for how to improve my lot but some people just gotta take that swing.

Last Edited:
I can think of TWO semiautos that the .357 performs flawlessly.

Well, flawlesslyish at least. Neither of those have that great of reputation for reliability, and my experience (limited, granted) would back that up.

357 mag semi auto's are big and bulky, and because of the length of the round are limited to low capacity and oversized grips. If you need that kind of power or speed, 10mm or 460 Rowland. Neither have the issues of 357 semi autos.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top