JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never feel undergunned with a .357...

IMG_5519.JPG

I never feel undergunned with a .357...

View attachment 382251
The thing about the common and classic 158's (no telling what you're sporting there, sport) is that they are built to slam grizzly bear and moose shoulder blades (if you hit them there, no good pretty much if you don't).. not good at all for human beings, deer, regular bear and whatnot.

The thing about the common and classic 158's (no telling what you're sporting there, sport) is that they are built to slam grizzly bear and moose shoulder blades (if you hit them there, no good pretty much if you don't).. not good at all for human beings, deer, regular bear and whatnot.
That was just a pretty internet picture of my gun, and not the ammo I carry. Rest assured, what I carry will get the job done for any two to four legged nuisance.

Last Edited:
Next years relocation will be in big bear and snake country. Since I sold the Redhawk, I'm planning on this as my next field pistol, likely this exact model:
upload_2017-8-9_10-50-31.jpeg
I like the grip far better than the standard Redhawk, and the porting will make for nice follow up shots.

Next years relocation will be in big bear and snake country. Since I sold the Redhawk, I'm planning on this as my next field pistol, likely this exact model:
View attachment 382285
I like the grip far better than the standard Redhawk, and the porting will make for nice follow up shots.
You sure won't like that hard red rubber backstrap when shooting full power loads.

You sure won't like that hard red rubber backstrap when shooting full power loads.

I shot the Redhawk with wood grips until I got tired of getting cut from the tiny gap between the grip and the backstrap, then I got some Pachmeyers which helped. Not going to shoot bear loads much after I work them up. Nice thing about revolvers is you can shoot reduced loads when you are just plinking.

All in all I like 357's better than 44 mags, but its the proper tool for the job in my new AO.

For what it is worth my parents live in western Montana and we go hiking up at Glacier Park. We stop by the ranger station there many years ago and asked the same question. They told us number to put a bell on your body or backpack as the bear will hear it and go a different direction. Second was to carry the large bear spray as they found it more effective then a gun. If you go carry a gun they said a 44 magnum is preferred but remember the 5 shot rule. The first 5 are going to piss the bear off and you should save the last round for yourself.

Forget stopping power. You arent gunna knock a (massive) bear on its bubblegum with most handguns. Bear skulls are thick, focus on a pistol cartridge with excellent penetration capabilities. I would also not recommend a .45. Now thats running with the "worst-case-scenerio-bear"
A black bear?:rolleyes::D Hardly makes the cut. Big ol friendly teddy bears, try giving it a hug it could just be sad:p (jk's)

That was just a pretty internet picture of my gun, and not the ammo I carry. Rest assured, what I carry will get the job done for any two to four legged nuisance.
I hear you. But I have a strong suspicion that many/most still buy/carry the old "classic" rendered 158 that does not expand at all.. lest it hits an actual moose shoulder.. much like the classic/standard to this day .44magum 24ogr jhp.. anyway
A lot of people rest assured.. quite clueless, bless their hearts.

10mm for semi-auto. .44 magnum for a wheel gun. I would personally go with a 10mm due to capacity as you'll likely need more than one shot to stop it. I'll take 15 rounds of Underwood 10mm over 6 rounds of .44 magnum any day.

These for bear:

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
For what it is worth my parents live in western Montana and we go hiking up at Glacier Park. We stop by the ranger station there many years ago and asked the same question. They told us number to put a bell on your body or backpack as the bear will hear it and go a different direction. Second was to carry the large bear spray as they found it more effective then a gun. If you go carry a gun they said a 44 magnum is preferred but remember the 5 shot rule. The first 5 are going to piss the bear off and you should save the last round for yourself.
Did he remember to tell you about the front site? How your suppose to file it down so it wont hurt as bad when the bear shoves it up your bubblegum?

I hike Glacier and Yellowstone and still consider bear spray as the best bear defense. Bear spray gives you about a 20 second stream of spray and pray time before you are either safe or a chew toy. A gun gives you one chance...maybe two.

Your situation however sounds like a justification to the wife of that pistol you were going to buy anyway, so disregard the pepper spray advice.

My choice for your problem is the SxS 12ga. Double Barreled Shotgun with a couple of Rifled Slugs. All my Long Guns have slings which gives me both hands for doing other things as necessary. A Second choice for a load might be some "00" buck but not for me. I use Rifled Choke Tubes and #4 Buck which patterns Very nicely for stopping other discussions if needed; even out to 25 yards keeping every pellet on the Target.

This would be my idea of security in Bear Country.

10mm for semi-auto. .44 magnum for a wheel gun. I would personally go with a 10mm due to capacity as you'll likely need more than one shot to stop it. I'll take 15 rounds of Underwood 10mm over 6 rounds of .44 magnum any day.

These for bear:

<broken link removed>
Yeabut did you just have a stroke? Our OP was just wanting to pass his foot beyond his threshold up in I think Warshington State. The poor bugger won't even accept Amazon deliveries last I heard. you're not being helpful with his walkies

OP, I went through a similar caliber selection process a couple years ago (I spend the summers in Alaska on a commercial fishing boat and we encounter bears every year)

After some research, I ended up with a 10mm Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 220 grain hard cast. I partially made this decision because of the price vs a $900 S&W .44 mag, but also because of weight savings and increased capacity.

Go with a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk with at least a 4" barrel. Then go buy some Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard-cast bear loads or Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. Hard Cast, L.F.N. - G.C. (1,425 fps/M.E. 1,533 ft. lbs.). The hard cast bullets were made to penetrate and smash bone along with large wound cavities. Problem solved. Read warnings before shooting this round out a pistol, the Redhawk is good, but others are not rated for this load - no S&Ws. You also might think about porting. Using the .44 Mag allows easy access to many lever action and carbine rifles (for the 305 grain). I have not tried the 340 grain, but have shot the 305 grain out of my 7.5" Redhawk. It kicks a little more than standard loads, but really wasn't bad. Follow up shots were quick. Not good range/plinking loads.

Yeabut did you just have a stroke? Our OP was just wanting to pass his foot beyond his threshold up in I think Warshington State. The poor bugger won't even accept Amazon deliveries last I heard. you're not being helpful with his walkies

You continue to speak about things which you know nothing about. Do you know the OP? Any idea where he is? I know you don't. But hey man, keep up the ridiculous nonsensical posts.

BTW, @Certaindeaf the OP is a close personal friend of mine who I have shot with many times. And he's NOT in Washington. Or Oregon. Keep guessing or pretending like you know more than you do. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top