JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im not a bow hunter, is it possible he was hunting smaller game, not deer, thus a lesser lethal arrowhead?

Regardless, this was in Canada... he doesnt have gun rights to carry a side arm. I dont know their self defense laws on killing attacking big game but there could have been a hesitation to shoot the arrow there until too late, then not wanting to wound the bear with an inferior arrowhead or poor shot under stress. He could have been inexperienced hunter, and fallen under the heavily preached mantra that "bear attacks are statistically low they "virtually" never happen".

This is why I say its the consequences that influence what to carry for predator defense.

Blades are visible, and seemed more visible than an expandable head should show. But it sure weren't no bigazz Zwickey head!
I've never used expandable broadheads personally, but my hunting buddy gave my son some to try a couple of years ago. They are still in my closet new in the package. They aren't terribly visible before they deploy and expand on contact. The longer "arms" on the blades are tucked tight to the arrow shaft, sometimes even held with rubber bands on the older models. The expandbles haven't been legal in Oregon for very many years. Honestly, I couldn't really make out much from the video, other than it sure didn't look like any standard fixed broadhead I've ever seen.

Edit to add: See posting #345 below. I agree with @homeuser6

Last Edited:
I've never used expandable broadheads personally, but my hunting buddy gave my son some to try a couple of years ago. They are still in my closet new in the package. They aren't terribly visible before they deploy and expand on contact. The longer "arms" on the blades are tucked tight to the arrow shaft, sometimes even held with rubber bands on the older models. The expandbles haven't been legal in Oregon for very many years. Honestly, I couldn't really make out much from the video, other than it sure didn't look like any standard fixed broadhead I've ever seen.
My best guess is a short, light, fixed (replaceable) blade. Much like a Slick Trick and others all the rage now, and I agree would be "out of place" on such a bow.

I never hunted with expandable heads, even for the compound. Recurve appropriate heads for me right now are bear razorhead ultralights.

50BMG for when the bear is wearing ballistic plates.

71548314877__9C8F76AD-030E-4953-A6DC-CB729904F078.jpeg

As of 2020 a K-12 student in the United States was 20X more likely to die in a school bus crash than from gunfire inside his or her school. But I never saw a group of concerned parents called "Everytown For School Bus Safety." :s0002:

Other options might include a .41 mag or just carry his existing .44 mag with something akin to a .44 Special +P or lighter loaded .44 mag? I know that my S&W 629 can blast the heck outta the hand with a stout load and the shorter barrel!

Other options might include a .41 mag or just carry his existing .44 mag with something akin to a .44 Special +P or lighter loaded .44 mag? I know that my S&W 629 can blast the heck outta the hand with a stout load and the shorter barrel!
Yeah that's what I'm looking for. Something that he can get off a follow-up shot just in case. The bigger challenge is, TBH, the "talk."

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. Something that he can get off a follow-up shot just in case. The bigger challenge is, TBH, the "talk."
Yeah, i hear ya. I've had to have a similar talk with my pops... not in any shape to carry what he wants into the woods anymore. Hell, he can hardly get around on level pavement anymore and he still wants to go up into the hills.

Yeah, i hear ya. I've had to have a similar talk with my pops... not in any shape to carry what he wants into the woods anymore. Hell, he can hardly get around on level pavement anymore and he still wants to go up into the hills.
So hard to watch them in that last stage, isn't it? I mean only ten years ago, pop could beat me in arm wrestling. Now I don't even try any more b/c i can't stand the agony of winning. Our dads are such a gift.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews