JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I have been tossing around the idea to get a new firearm for a bear defense gun. I'm moving onto a heavily wooded ranch and there is talk of a very large and very curious black bear on the property, so naturally I'm using it as a partial excuse to buy a new firearm.

There's a lot of choices for this purpose, so I need some advice. I've done a lot of research but I could use some opinion on the best option.

10mm, .45, .45-70, .44, .454 cassul, .500 s&w

What do you think?

My vote is for 10mm, 357 mag, or 44 mag. 44 mag is my favorite. You're going to see it at every store that sells ammo. Along with 357. You start getting into these other big pistol cartridges and things get a little less selective. Unless you feel like reloading.

Just my two cents...I'm perfectly comfortable with 9mm in the Oregon wilderness. Heck...a reasonable 45 acp load with a good charge and lighter bullet is more than capable of keeping you safe.

Last Edited:
Something that you might carry all the time would be best. Most people go for a pocket gun.. I prefer a duty-sized 9 loaded about to .357 magnum power level. A 16-19 shot 550fpe+ per trigger press isn't anything to sneeze at.
It's all about shot placement no matter what you have. First rule.. have.

I'm glad you seem to be assured that this is just an excuse for a new gun and you will more than likely not have to put the bear down.

I like 45-70 in a lever gun, seems like a fast way to euthanize any pest issue. Although a pistol seems a better solution if being mauled. Either a 10mm or a .44 magnum would be good choices. from what I hear, sometimes it takes a few rounds to put a bear down even with higher calibers (mostly talk of grizzly, but "be prepared"). I think it will inevitably come down to your personal preference.

Moth balls might be a good nonlethal option for deterrence, since I know they work on skunks. Might want to look into that, if all you really want is a reason to buy a new gun.
I've also never had to shoot a bear, so there is my disclaimer.

For handguns , I like something in the :
.357 Magnum
.44 Special and .44 Magnum
.45 Colt
For rifles I like something in :
.44 Magnum
.30-30
.30-06
.45-70

I suppose it depends on what you are going to be doing on this ranch.
A handgun is handy and can be carried in a holster on your person.
That said , you can get used to working with and carrying a rifle...
Especially if it is a lighter , handier one , like a Winchester 94 Carbine or Marlin 336.
A rifle for what you are wanting also does not need a long heavy barrel or scope , so that can also cut down on weight.
Andy

Best?

Depends on context.

Are you going to carry the gun? Then probably a .44 magnum.

Are you going to leave the gun in a truck or ATV or at home? Then probably the .500 S&W.

I have a lightweight .44 mag - a 329PD. This is my 'field gun' that I carry in the field when I feel the need (which is rare, despite the fact that I have bears and cougars cross my land periodically, especially now that the berries are ripe).

I also have a .460 magnum which is fun to shoot and would be much more effective against any dangerous animal, but I never carry it because it is simply just too big and heavy. I might carry it if I was on the north slope where there are polar bears, but then I would probably also carry a long gun there too.

A big gun does you no good if you leave it at home or in a truck - if the truck is nearby it is just safer to get into the truck than to go get the gun from it and shoot the bear. House or truck, a shotgun is better than a handgun for bears. When I go out to check why the motion sensor lights came on, I take my shotgun loaded with buckshot and slugs - i might also take a handgun as backup.

I used to carry a heavy .44 mag (DW with 6" heavy barrel) in Alaska, but it got to be a pain, so I finally got my 329PD instead and I hardly notice it is there and if I feel the need, I do not hesitate to strap it on because of the weight.

Which is a long winded way of saying the "best" gun is the one you have with you.

My field pistol for bear country was a stainless Ruger Redhawk, 5 1/2" barrel. I shot a very hot heavy FMJ (for penetration into the brain area). Rounds I would NOT shoot in the lighter framed S&W. Lots of loads will kill a bear, you need a load that will kill it before it kills you back. My standard load was two shot shells (snake) followed by 4 heavy FMJ's, plus two speed loaders with the right mix for the area. In your case I'd go all bear.

The size of the bears in your area determines what is an acceptable cartridge. In some areas black bears are fairly small and a 357 magnum will work.

Last Edited:
Something that you might carry all the time would be best. Most people go for a pocket gun.. I prefer a duty-sized 9 loaded about to .357 magnum power level. A 16-19 shot 550fpe+ per trigger press isn't anything to sneeze at.

What is .357 POWER IN A 9MM? I can get 1422 fps with 180 gr from a .357, but the 9mm with 147gr only goes 1004 fps. BIG Difference.

What is .357 POWER IN A 9MM? I can get 1422 fps with 180 gr from a .357, but the 9mm with 147gr only goes 1004 fps. BIG Difference.

Correct - there is a big difference
A 180 gr bullet @1422 ft/second has slightly over 800 ft lbs at the muzzle
A 147 gr bullet @1004 ft/second has is just under 330 ft lbs at the muzzle, less than half of the 357 magnum

Next lets look at a couple of 44 magnum loads
A 240 gr bullet @1724 ft/second has just over 1580 ft lbs at the muzzle
A 300 gr bullet @1580 ft/second has just over 1660 f. t lbs at the muzzle

Finally the heavier bullets in each caliber have a higher sectional density and can penetrate deeper. This is important because a quick kill for an angry/charging bear is going to come by penetrating the skull.

Your big question is how big are the bears? Many black bears in the south are only a bit bigger than a large dog. As you go north they tend to get bigger. Next come Grizzles, Alaskan Browns and Polar Bears. Even the 44 magnum is marginal at best there.

Can only guess what OP was getting at. My take on it was he was talking about the better +P 9mm ammo. Some of it comes close to what the .357 in 125gr will do. Impressive as you can put a lot of them in a smaller easy to carry auto

If the OP wants a carbine the same ammo will match the .357 125gr which made me look at my first 9mm PCC in a whole new light. Originally bought it just for the Wife to have some fun with at the indoor range. After I saw what it was capable of I thought it would make a dandy house gun for her. If I was in Bear county that was just the local Blacks we have here I feel real good with one of these. All depends a lot of course on what kind of gun people want. Certainly nothing wrong with a nice wheel gun in .357 if that's what you like. For us auto fans something with a lot more capacity is nice in case we run into 2 legged problems out there.

For us auto fans something with a lot more capacity is nice in case we run into 2 legged problems out there.

Most of the time I carried a 9mm when I went backpacking for that very reason. I only carried the 44 Magnum when I knew a bear encounter was likely, like going near the huckleberry fields in Indian Heaven or snake country where I loaded up with snake shot - one thing real nice about a 44 revolver is its ability to become a small shotgun.

.50 BMG if your going to go big go all the way. kinda heavy but it will take care of any pests:rolleyes:

DSUvOae.jpg

Yes. Exactly. Look at the ballistics of the classic stopper load of all time.. the .357 Magnum tossing a 125gr SJHP out of a 4" barrel isn't that far off of a 115gr +P+ 9mm at all.
So I can in all sincerity and truthfulness say what I said.

I still like 10mm. IO do believe Underwood puts out a 135gr round that mimics the 357 mag. I know id rather have 16 rounds then 6 if ya need to use it.

It will also depend on how you are going to carry. on the hip, id go pretty light, same with IWB. if you go Alaskan, you can go pretty big and not really worry about it.

Polar Bears might work their way South. On the North Slope the main winter time injuries were severe frost bite and frozen solid faces and hands from getting drunk and then riding on snow mobiles without face or hand protection. Wintertime is cold.

The next source of severe injuries were Polar Bear attacks. The handgun of choice was the hand loaded .44 mag. The REAL firearm of choice was a short barrel 12 ga. pump gun with max load slugs. BUT at times not enough to drop a big bear QUICKLY.

years ago. good money. RN.

No garentee that all defensive postures for dangerous game are upright or "on one's feet", so if your weapon of choice is not a Controlled Feed design, you may not be able to chamber a catridge if the weapon is upside down or sideways (like a gangsta)...

Pre 64 Winchester's may be one example of a controlled feed; maybe the older Ruger 1 models...

My $.02.

Edit; I didn't see the OP specified handgun.:eek:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR