JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was referring to bear attacks.

Note: I dont support gun control, and that wasnt the context of the subject, it was an analogy of what anti gunners use to justify not carrying guns.
I did misunderstand. However, I wonder if the same might apply to bears. That is, most defensive uses of a gun against bears might involve only yelling at bear while carrying a gun or shooting into ground next to it rather than shooting the bear. Such incidents are likely to mostly also not be reported. I've experienced two myself .

One case, already mentioned in this thread, involved holding a gun on a bear that was only 22 feet away. When a bear, even a black bear, is surprised within his attack distance, he may attack. Even if he woukd ordinarily run from humans if he had more warning. My utter stillness and confidence and projection of being myself a critter dangerous to bears might have contributed to the bear deciding to run instead of attack. If so, tge confudence the gun gave me mattered. But it might have also been just as much or more that he was a genuinely wild bear not made dangerous by eating human garbage or dog food on peoples porches, so he did what wild black bears usually do when confronted by a human, even though surprised from close. He ran. Also, in those days hunting bears with dogs was legal in Oregon and bears got regular practice running from people and/or dogs. And I was an armed human accompanied by a dog. (I was likely in no danger as my dog had positioned herself between me and bear and was only 12 feet from bear. Bear, if it attacked, would have attacked dog. This particular dog was the perfect dog for that situation, as she was good at fighting and at "baiting" critters. But also sensible . (She was half Chow.) She would have made false and harassing attacks to hold bear at bay without closing with the bear. But I would have needed to shoot the bear to save my dog.)

The other situation the bear was in my back yard going after my duck flock. And he refused to back off when I spotlighted and yelled at him. He just kept coming. (I was at an upstaurs window with the screen off so was in no danger.) So I put a shot from my edc, a 686, a .357 mag into the ground next to the bear. He changed his mind about the duck dinner and departed rapidly and never returned. I don't consider that SD. It was more like animal training. When a predator went after the ducks it got one chance to learn they were mine and actively defended. If it came back a second time I killed it. Interestingly, about 2/3 of the raccoons who came after my ducks could learn that in one experience and never returned.

Didn't read all the comments but if he likes the .44 and just is getting a bit recoil sensitive, how about some milder hardcast loads? I think a 240gr hardcast bullet going 1100-1200 fps is plenty good black bear medicine. For that matter a 240 xtp at the same speeds would probably get it done.

Much hulabaloo here about a shy wild animal that wants very little to do with people.
Tell that to the bear that strode into my back yard aiming for my duck pen and totally ignored me spotlighting him and yelling at him. He kept right on approaching me and house and duck pen at a fast purposeful walk until I put a shot in the ground next to him.

Last Edited:
Didn't read all the comments but if he likes the .44 and just is getting a bit recoil sensitive, how about some milder hardcast loads? I think a 240gr hardcast bullet going 1100-1200 fps is plenty good black bear medicine. For that matter a 240 xtp at the same speeds would probably get it done.
Garrett Cartridges (now) of Texas makes a lower recoiling .44 mag load with a heavy 310 grain super hard cast bullet they call the Hammerhead. The load is specifically designed for SD against all bears in North America, and is called the Defender . Its 1100 fps/833 ft. lbs from a 7.5" barrel and 1020 fps/713 ft. lbs. from a 4" barrel. Its for any .44 mag with a barrel 4" or longer except Taurus Tracker and SW 69. Its too long for rifles. Note that they are clearly using a fast powder so that nearly all the energy is available from a 4" gun. Most .44 mag loads are actually designed for 6 or 7.5" guns, and a 4" gun will get way less energy than the official statements on the box. This load is actually designed for 4" guns. By comparison, most .44 mag bear loads are also slightly over 300 gr, but are usually about 1000 ft. lbs from a 7.5" gun. But way less from a 4" gun. And most hunting loads in .44 mag are 1100-1200 ft. lbs. from a 7.5" gun.

Garrett points out that while all but the specified guns will hold together with their 44 mag Defender, the same is not necessarily true of the shooter with lightweight guns like the SW Mountain guns and the SW scandium 329. These recoil so hard few can shoot them well and follow-up shots are very slow. So they designed two more loads, A 44 mag and a 44 sp, around a lighter 250 gr Hammerhead bullet. Basically they are designed for SD against bears with the least possible recoil.

Try this, if it doesn't work just stare down the bear.

Im not advocating for any statistical argument but Everytown has plenty of well researched statistics that supports that subject.
Not to put too fine a point on it, buuuuut... Everytown is a blatantly-biased anti-gun organization of soccer moms who have no idea how firearms work and wear that ignorance as a badge of honor. :s0002:

They think you can buy an M16 at Big5.

False.
There is no way to know how many times guns are used in self defense because most of the time the attacker stops attacking and runs and no shots are fired. Most such cases are not reported at all. And if reported they are probably not usually counted as a gun "use". I've used a gun in a defensive situation four times. Two attempted home invasions, one case where I accidentally interrupted a burglar and he charged me, and one case where I chased off a would-be rapist who had attacked a woman in the parking lot behind my rooming house. In all cases the evil doer changed his mind about his current activity and withdrew rapidly. No shots were fired. I reported only two of them, and only because I was living in places where LE was not rabidly against citizens having guns at all, and there was a real possibility of catching the guy or there was still a potential threat to my neighbors. And because I had a naive and trusting attitude toward LE. These days, Oregon courts and LE on average seem to love and want to protect criminals and to hate citizens with guns. I do now, alas, think it foolish to report anything unless I am legally obligated . Such as having a body in my home I needed to explain. (All you fellow NWFA members who are active or retired LE, the words " on average" were for you. You undoubtedly have a much friendlier than average attitude toward citizens having guns. But if I report something I can't count on getting one of you.)
True. The government doesn't keep statistics on brandishing in the prevention of a violent crime. They hardly keep statistics on the defensive use of firearms. And the anti-gun groups like Everytown and Brady twist themselves into pretzels to inflate the "statistics" they like to trot out in support of their specious anti-gun arguments.

Not to put too fine a point on it, buuuuut... Everytown is a blatantly-biased anti-gun organization of soccer moms who have no idea how firearms work and wear that ignorance as a badge of honor. :s0002:

In full context I used an analogy to make a point about statistics (what anti gunners use...). I dont support Everytown and their research isnt just ignorance its a blatant lie.

In full context I used an analogy to make a point about statistics (what anti gunners use...). I dont support Everytown and their research isnt just ignorance its a blatant lie.
Indeed. I didn't mean to imply you supported them. Some statistics they happily ignore...
  • Every mass shooting has involved... a mass shooter.
  • The CDC and its media lapdogs has recently changed the definition of "mass shooting" to any shooting where three or more people are struck by gunfire... this could be a gang shooting (usually is), a drive-by, a robbery, or a carjacking. So they can report more mass shootings. And scare more soccer moms into sending more money to Everytown.
  • In the U.S., CHL holders are the single least criminal demographic in existence - across all socioeconomic, racial, geographic, and gender lines. We're even less criminal than cops.
  • Every gun that has ever been fired... has been fired by a human intent on firing that weapon.

Indeed. I didn't mean to imply you supported them. Some statistics they happily ignore...
  • The CDC and its media lapdogs has recently changed the definition of "mass shooting" to any shooting where three or more people are struck by gunfire... this could be a gang shooting (usually is), a drive-by, a robbery, or a carjacking. So they can report more mass shootings. And scare more soccer moms into sending more money to Everytown.
  • In the U.S., CHL holders are the single least criminal demographic in existence - across all socioeconomic, racial, geographic, and gender lines. We're even less criminal than cops.
  • Every gun that has ever been fired... has been fired by a human intent on firing that weapon.
Isn't a bear gnawing on your leg?

Yes.
If we have to drift off topic on this years ago when I was more open minded to gun control I looked up ("fact checked") school shooting statistics. I went right to the source, Everytowns web page. I read their missive and clicked on their citations and when I separately looked up a small sample size of their incidents literally the first ones included... an accidental discharge by an officer on school grounds (no injuries) and a drug deal gone bad on school grounds after hours.
I knew right then and there Everytown are liars and they continue to lie about "mass" shootings as you noted.

That is good to know.
We don't want to be citing anything from them.
Look who's behind them...

Everytown for Gun Safety is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun control and against gun violence. Everytown was formed in 2013 due to a merger between Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
Founder: Mike Bloomberg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads