JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@OregonTank go with 10mm for auto or .44 Mag in a wheelie. Have I ever steered you wrong? Give me a shout tomorrow if you have more questions. As to other members, the OP is for real, despite his post count. :cool::cool:

Recently I have been tossing around the idea to get a new firearm for a bear defense gun. I'm moving onto a heavily wooded ranch and there is talk of a very large and very curious black bear on the property, so naturally I'm using it as a partial excuse to buy a new firearm.

There's a lot of choices for this purpose, so I need some advice. I've done a lot of research but I could use some opinion on the best option.

10mm, .45, .45-70, .44, .454 cassul, .500 s&w

What do you think?
12 gauge slug

Alaska fish & Wildlife will confirm this

Realistic? How much of a hand cannon can YOU handle. Shot placement is
of utmost importance. I have owned over a dozen different 44 mags. and shot
thousands of rounds of 44 mag. It takes some practice to become proficient.
I say you should be able to hit a man size target reliably at say 15 yards?
I suggest you master full power 44 loads. And then step up to a 500 S&W,
460 Ruger, 454 Casull, etc....;)I find the recoil and size of these BIG calibers too
much. Too much weight to pack around.o_O
686-629
DSC00069.JPG

I don't think the question is "old vs new." Or at least it shouldn't be. The question should be, "pistol caliber vs. rifle caliber?" And rifle is the preferred answer for bear. If you're looking for something around the house, definitely rifle.

A good friend of mine is a wildlife control guy (government trapper). He's shot a lot of black bear. For a handgun he uses a S&W model 29 with 250 grain lead bullets. He says it normally drops them quick.

I shot the Redhawk with wood grips until I got tired of getting cut from the tiny gap between the grip and the backstrap, then I got some Pachmeyers which helped. Not going to shoot bear loads much after I work them up. Nice thing about revolvers is you can shoot reduced loads when you are just plinking.

All in all I like 357's better than 44 mags, but its the proper tool for the job in my new AO.

I shot a Super Redhawk in my youth, and was delighted with how controllable and easy to shoot it was. I even took a few shots one handed, and except for my wobbling aim due to the significant weight, it was fine.

Fast forward a few years, and I get a chance to shoot a Redhawk. I hated it. My hand felt like it had been beaten with a hammer, and that was after about 6 rounds.

You continue to speak about things which you know nothing about. Do you know the OP? Any idea where he is? I know you don't. But hey man, keep up the ridiculous nonsensical posts.

BTW, @Certaindeaf the OP is a close personal friend of mine who I have shot with many times. And he's NOT in Washington. Or Oregon. Keep guessing or pretending like you know more than you do. :rolleyes:
No, I was asking a simple question, twice. Didn't mean to rile anyone. Not that there's anything wrong with a drive-by hand grenade.

A good friend of mine is a wildlife control guy (government trapper). He's shot a lot of black bear. For a handgun he uses a S&W model 29 with 250 grain lead bullets. He says it normally drops them quick.
You're talking about a "Pro" not Joe who walks in the woods from time to time. My Grandfather was a Government hunter for the town/area where they lived during the Depression. He wore out a Winchester Model 94 but he kept the town and his family fed for a pretty fair period of time. I've seen photos of him and the one other hunter for the area in front of a days take of 30+ deer. He taught me a lot about shooting and hunting but I've never been in a position to have to dispose of a Bear but I'm truly sure he would approve of my choice of the 12ga. with slugs.

Truly, for a bear problem-- my own choices would depend of my situation and what I was doing.. a lever .308 or .30-30. Maybe a bolt 8mm Mauser too.. Prefer a .45-70 but I don't own one. An old Marlin lever in .444, like the .45-07 will wilt anything within 100 yards.. I wouldnt consider a .44 mag carbine- .44mag in a Redhawk revolver if that's what I was carrying. Mostly I steer clear of bears since I retired.
OK I just noticed the "pistol-revolver" request:cool:- either Redhawk or a Glock 20 in 10mm mag, for me. I steer clear of recommending a .357 revolver since the guy in Alaska emptied his .357 into a bears mouth and the bear ate him anyway. Altho a revolver would be a stop-gap until a rifle could be brought into play. Even blacks are some mean and tough- not easily killed. In the past Ive used a pump 12ga with a variety of ammo for bear control. Even rubber buck or ball will send em running as a rule. Someday maybe I tell the tale of how I ran into a black bear on a scooter..:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads