JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey team,

I am looking for a good bear gun for my dad who lives in Prescott, AZ. A guy was just mauled and partially eaten by a black bear (very rare) about ten minutes from their place. Dad knows his way around firearms, but at 81 I'm a little reluctanct for him to use his trusty .44MAG as that sucker kicks like a scalded mule and last time he had it at the range, I could tell he was having trouble controlling the recoil. I like a revolver for this task and am thinking 10mm. I've never shot a 10mm revolver, but I already know it's more manageable than the .44. I know the ten is a lower energy round but I think it will penetrate enough to give the bear second thoughts if not turn him into a nice rug.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

.357 mag since they're scrawny black bears.
large_100_19A_Large.png 357-mag-180-GC.jpg

Yeah buddy.

Hey team,

I am looking for a good bear gun for my dad who lives in Prescott, AZ. A guy was just mauled and partially eaten by a black bear (very rare) about ten minutes from their place. Dad knows his way around firearms, but at 81 I'm a little reluctanct for him to use his trusty .44MAG as that sucker kicks like a scalded mule and last time he had it at the range, I could tell he was having trouble controlling the recoil. I like a revolver for this task and am thinking 10mm. I've never shot a 10mm revolver, but I already know it's more manageable than the .44. I know the ten is a lower energy round but I think it will penetrate enough to give the bear second thoughts if not turn him into a nice rug.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
10 mm makes sense as a side arm if the 44 is too powerful. I'd agree a 30 30 carbine would be nice or 44 , but dad would be unlikely to haul it around?

Used to hunt bear with my brother and his pack of dogs in the 1970s. Huge number of bears back then and I observed what the guys brought to hunt them with. 250 Savage was a great gun and dropped them instantly. 350 Remington mag was devastating. 30 carbine was worthless and should never be used.

Short version: the 10mm will penetrate deep enough for bear protection with the right loads.

Long version: no gun is a true bear stopper and at his age consider the risk of a physical fight with a bear which is also very common in bear defense cases with pistols. If you dont get a CNS shot in before the bear reaches you, you will have a physical fight on your hands.

heres a real life 10mm example.

44 is the only sidearm I have seen used to kill black bear. A head shot totally fractures the entire skull. Never seen a body shot tried. The guy who brought the Ruger Super Blackhawk had two rifleman backing him up should he miss.

Since recoil is a factor...and a carbine or shotgun off the table....

Another vote for the .357 Magnum with a good hard cast bullet.
The revolver of choice here is ....a Smith and Wesson 28-2 with Pachmayr "Presentation" grips.
Andy

If the gun doesn't kill them instantly then the pain of being shot enrages them to fight for survival. I have seen them move so fast they can grab a dog and bite its belly after being hit three times with a 30 carbine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top