JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nc_ohc=QIqykpgoWUMAX-g5fhc&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio3-1.jpg

excuse me for my ignorance, I don't bow hunt - but he seemed to have target arrow - no broadheads?
At 1:12 is a good shot of the tip. Perhaps a collapsible broadhead, ( or small blades) but it is there. Bow just might be a Wes Wallace takedown (nice!). Quiver is certainly a Selway.

A fine study of the behavior known as "losing your chit". :cool:

A fine study of the behavior known as "losing your chit". :cool:
Indeed. He just kept standing there seemingly doing nothing. I found it interesting that the bear broke off the attack and would like to know why, whether that was due to his defensive actions in the moment or the bear just wasn't that interested in eating him. If he had shot the bear before it actually attacked, who knows? Maybe it would have been worse and the bear would have continued attacking him to the end. Wildlife is damned unpredictable and all that...

Indeed. He just kept standing there seemingly doing nothing. I found it interesting that the bear broke off the attack and would like to know why, whether that was due to his defensive actions in the moment or the bear just wasn't that interested in eating him. If he had shot the bear before it actually attacked, who knows? Maybe it would have been worse and the bear would have continued attacking him to the end. Wildlife is damned unpredictable and all that...
That bear was in a favorite grazing place and charged at another bear (as he had many times before) to defend his food source. Probably had no clue it was a human until physical contact. Their eyes are quite poor compared to deer/elk and the like.

The bow should have been raised to shooting stance and fingers tight on the string ready to draw. (Bear tag or not.)

Hunted with a guy from Minnesota that drilled a Cougar in the forehead at a full charge while hunting in Colorado. As he described it, the scenario was nearly identical to this one. Ruined his elk trip, as he had to deal with the authorities on the cat. Though exonerated, they wouldn't let him keep the skull with the broadhead in it. He had all the pics he took, and those from the Game Wardens.

I found it interesting that the bear broke off the attack and would like to know why, whether that was due to his defensive actions in the moment or the bear just wasn't that interested in eating him.
A friend told me about a study or some opinion that showed a correlation between bear personalities and human.... in that 1 bear out of like 100 will just be a complete narcisstic bully and those are the ones that become the problem bears weither alone in the woods or in rural areas. ( this touches on the low statistical argument)

My guess is in that vid the bear just wanted to express dominance and move on... could be any reason it didnt kill him though.

It's early and I don't have the sound up to hear what's going on in the vid, but I wonder why the hell he didn't have the bow up and drawn?
He had plenty of time to be prepared, just watching the bear...
I've had encounters with dogs and wild horses. None of them got that close and my gun was ready to go.

excuse me for my ignorance, I don't bow hunt - but he seemed to have target arrow - no broadheads?
That's not ignorance. That's a great question. Like @Spitpach said, it could be one of those expandable broadheads, but you don't see the stick bow guys using those very often. Personally, I've never seen a stick bow guy use those - not traditional after all.

Dad knows his way around firearms.......if what you said is true then take him to an indoor range where he can shoot several different handguns and find the largest caliber/ frame combination he is comfortable with. A well placed round is more important in a bad situation...
Just a little advice from an Old Alaskan bear guide

That's not ignorance. That's a great question. Like @Spitpach said, it could be one of those expandable broadheads, but you don't see the stick bow guys using those very often. Personally, I've never seen a stick bow guy use those - not traditional after all.
Blades are visible, and seemed more visible than an expandable head should show. But it sure weren't no bigazz Zwickey head!

Zwickey Eskimo broadheads have worked well for me....even on a black bear.
Granted said bear wasn't charging me like the one in the video posted earlier.

With that said...
I don't think a M18A1 Claymore mine would have helped that hunter at that point in time....
He was frazzled to say the least at that moment.

And yeah I can see where 175 or more pounds of angry fur , teeth and claws will get you all in a lather....
Take that extra moment to regain control over yourself and do what needs to be done , properly.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR