JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm always amazed at the amount of woodcraft/campcraft contained in old scouting manuals. I've been considering forcing myself to brush up on some of these skills (knot tying, for example). If anyone's interested there is a treasure trove of information contained here:

http://oldscoutbooks.com/inventoryview.php

Capture.JPG

Some other advice from one of the scout manuals on that site. One can only imagine the uproar if such a thing was published today :eek:

Capture.JPG

The old Scout manuals are excellent as are :
Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart
And
Jack-knife Cookery by James Austin Wilder.
Both are long out of print , but well worth searching out.
Andy

Thanks for the tip @AndyinEverson! For those interested in the works he referenced they can be downloaded here (copyright expired I believe)
http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/the_book_of_camping_and_woodcraft_1906.pdf

ebook for Jack-knife cookery available for checkout (maybe)
Jack-knife cookery (eBook, 1929) [WorldCat.org]

Very neat resource. Thank you for sharing the link. I wish the scouts were still so practical so that our children could learn from said.

Parenthetically, a book I've found most helpful over the years is The Guide to Self-Sufficiency (1976), by John Seymour. I acquired a copy when young and it has been a great resource. I've seen PDF versions on the intra-tubes over the years, so a quick google search will likely yield a copy. (There is an "updated" version release in the mid-2000s that is, in my humble opinion, less helpful because they removed some good material and added some PC blather.)

seymour.jpg

Thanks for the links.
It's pretty amazing, what some of the old books contain, in terms of Common Sense and practicality.
I have an "Engineers training manual" from the Ford Motor Company from the early 1900s. The techniques taught in it as far as approach to design, and efficiency, in my opinion, are lost.
Now, if I could only find it.

I've used more than one of those and found them VERY helpful.

But unless they have been converted to Electronic Format a lot of people won't be interested and that's a Shame.

I've used more than one of those and found them VERY helpful.

But unless they have been converted to Electronic Format a lot of people won't be interested and that's a Shame.

I ordered a paperback copy since if SHTF your electronic book won't work once the batteries go dead.

9E97EEE2-B951-43BD-9B95-D64DB9E71015.jpeg

Last Edited:
Are they available Electronicly?:)
I understand that but you can keep electronic devices working for quite a while with little effort.:):):)
The book of camping and woodcraft can be downloaded in PDF form via the link I mentioned above. I'm just going to print that puppy out on my laser printer, which is pretty cheap compared to inkjet's

The book of camping and woodcraft can be downloaded in PDF form via the link I mentioned above. I'm just going to print that puppy out on my laser printer, which is pretty cheap compared to inkjet's
Yep, I've been using an Inkjet to print Photographs for years and they are as good or better than those done in a Darkroom!:)

Anyone have a good reference book that documents making soap out of hardwood ash, and other necessities such as toothpaste/mouthwash, etc.?

I have always found the "Fox Fire" series of books loaded with practical and useful info, copies can be found in used book stores.
A copy of the 1865 Army field manual.
A 1955 Navy Blue Jackets manual.
A 1956 Marine Corps Training manual.
A 1986 Air Force survival manual
A 1998 Air Force Tactical Field manual.
A 1998 Air Force survival manual.
A 2003 Air Force medical, practical medicine and trauma manual.

Most of these are pretty hard to find, but if your persistent, they can be found in book stores around large mil bases, and retirement comunities! Except the Air Force manuals, which even if out of print, we were required to turn them in. I happend to "find" mine under my bunk when I was shipping out!;)

Back in my days as a Boy Scout, they had a area specific water proof edible plants booklet, I only ever saw one ( mine) and some how misplaced it, and havnt seen another one! Keep on the look out!

The SAS survival manual is also a very handy and practicle book to have around, they offer it in two sizes, a standard size and pocket size, water resistant! Powels books usually has a few on hand!:D

Another good one:

FM 5-34, US Army Engineer Field Data. True, your average homeowner doesn't have det cord out in the garage but there's lots of good survivalist-type info in this fat little book. The chapters on field fortifications, rigging, and bridges are of particular interest.

The US Army Pam 21-13, The Soldier's BCT Handbook, describes useful basic fieldcraft and survival skills.

My 1939 Sea Scout Manual has a lengthy chapter on Marlinspike Seamanship, 59 pages of knot-tying.

My 1938 Copy of Handbook for Boys published by the BSA is loaded with good stuff. 676 pages. This was published back when the Boy Scouts still wore campaign hats. Included is why a hat with a full brim (such as the campaign hat) is superior to other designs. It does not include instructions on how to wear your leggings; I have a sheet on that which came with a pair of period leggings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top