JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It doesn't carry the force of law in Oregon, which is why no one posts it. Here in Virginia it does carry the force of law, which I ALWAYS RESPECT, DUH... Sometimes it's something I can boycott, other times it isn't, because it isn't just businesses that do it.

"Ignore the sign"........don't fuss the gun and keep it concealed. What are they gonna do?o_Oo_O.....ask me to leave?......;)
When I was taking a course in Law at CSU Chico, I was told this about signs.....

Unless you signed a statement saying you read the sign, It cannot be proven that you even saw it! Even if it was HUGE and on the front door. You can simply say you mind was occupied with other matters, and that you cannot be held responsible to read every sign you pass. In fact - If you did, it would be an all consuming job, leaving no room for a life.

Just thinking... what if you were in a "gun free zone" store and an active murderer started shooting, if I could exit the store easily, I think I just might do that rather than try to stop the murderer, IDK. If I stopped the murderer, would the store owner be mad at me for bringing a gun into their store? Would I get in trouble? As for the shoppers I could save, hey, they saw the sign, it's every sheep for themself, any store that invites murderers should be boycotted in my mind.

Just thinking... what if you were in a "gun free zone" store and an active murderer started shooting, if I could exit the store easily, I think I just might do that rather than try to stop the murderer, IDK. If I stopped the murderer, would the store owner be mad at me for bringing a gun into their store? Would I get in trouble? As for the shoppers I could save, hey, they saw the sign, it's every sheep for themself, any store that invites murderers should be boycotted in my mind.

When i started carrying i did so for the protection of myself and those around me.If i decide to do business with a anti gun establishment that does not change because of a sign on a door.

Your idea of making an easy exit would just let the killing continue and that would be no different then being the first one to arrive on the scene of an accident and just driving by, With the exception of one being a mass murder.

That is not how i was raised.

When i started carrying i did so for the protection of myself and those around me.If i decide to do business with a anti gun establishment that does not change because of a sign on a door.

Your idea of making an easy exit would just let the killing continue and that would be no different then being the first one to arrive on the scene of an accident and just driving by, With the exception of one being a mass murder.

To a point I agree - although it isn't quite the same. An accident usually doesn't require you to risk your life or to take the life of someone else. Also, in many states, there are laws protecting you if you render assistance at an accident and don't do anything you aren't trained to do - e.g., don't do an emergency tracheotomy unless you are a trained/experienced EMT/doctor/etc.

OTOH - given today's political/legal/anti-gun environment, what are the chances that if you got a gun out and started hunting down an active shooter in a store, that someone, especially the police, would assume that *you* are the active shooter? What if in the process you injure or kill an innocent? What if you can't do anything and someone sues you for not doing enough in their view?

In today's environment, all of these things can wind up with a person who is trying to save lives being in a lot of trouble - maybe more trouble than the active shooter who is often portrayed as just someone who was confused and happened to have an evil black gun.

Generally I don't carry a gun for protection. The chances that I would ever need it are very very low. This is especially true of day to day circumstances - such as just going to a store for groceries. About the only time I would think to carry a gun would be when I go to meet someone to buy something - such as a gun - with cash.

That doesn't mean I have a problem with people carrying guns - by all means, that is their right. I just don't consider it to usually be necessary for me - in my situation.

If you like the place, stay and buy. If not, vote with your wallet. I am certain that many of the businesses I go to every day have owners who voted Democrat in the last election.

I am not holding their ignorance of the way the world really works against them. If I like their product or they have it at the best price, I ignore the sign and transact my business; all while carrying my firearm concealed from view.

Who is going to take care of your family if you die taking care of people you don know?

I disregard those OBUMMER ADMINISTRATON SIGNS as I am a legal conceal carry holder in like 40 states so unless i'm in a federal building and sometimes I do in their as well but sometime I won't, BUT that is the only place period .
and getting on a plane

Was in Manitowoc Wisconsin last week and the Holiday Inn actually had one of those signs on the door. I included that information in the review and they refused to publish it. Probably didn't like that I called the place a kill zone. They also had a Wisconsin ordinance as a reference. I didn't read the actual ordinance, but the summary said that it basically absolved the establishment of responsibility for any violence if they posted the sign.

Weird. Wisconsin's concealed carry law (175.60) specifically says
(21) Immunity.
(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from its decision.
(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub. (15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

Maybe there is another law for the signs, but the law clearly says that if they do not prohibit carrying, then they are immune from liability arising from allowing it.

This discussion has turned interesting, and is multi faceted.

First, those folks who ignore the no-gun placards, that's their choice. Personally, I just don't go into those places.

But more important to me, is if there are so many businesses like I saw in Missouri that had no-gun placards, leads me to think the signs are acceptable to the public. That is the reasoning that could get more anti gun laws passed there, or anywhere. I would prefer resistance from the populace that would make these business not want to post such signs. Hopefully the lawmakers there would feel this resistance and maybe be reluctant to pass more laws.

WAYNO.

liberal lunacy.

Yea, man.. just keep perpetuating that divisive, counter-productive myth. Your own damn post proves the ignorance: left-coast - great gun laws, no real prohibitions.... conservative midwest - tons of restrictions and anti-gun signs all over the place.

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with liberals, eh?

Try to figure out who your enemy is.

here's my golden rule for those signs...if it's a corporate owned store, i just ignore it...i'm carrying concealed anyway.

if it's a private business...i take me, my family and my wallet elsewhere.

Ever look at the fine print on your Costco membership or by the door? I've always found it interesting that Costco does that but it's so hidden you can't see it unless looking! Fact is I had carried multiple times into Costco before I saw someone else post it..

I came up from California where gun laws are crazy and CC is a special treat versus a right.. While CA sucks gun law wise, they do have a proactive advocacy community with a very large online community. A lot of legal folks chimed in that all those signs mean is that they can ask you to leave and if you don't you are trespassing.. So they would have to know you wee carrying to even ask you to leave for the firearm..

As for using a gun if necessary in one of those businesses, well I rather break a building policy then have to bow down to some idiot looking for infamy!

This is from the Mesa AZ murder suicide the mom and little boyo_O
"Police still are unclear on how the woman sneaked a gun into the hospital, which has a policy prohibiting firearms and weapons."

Gee there was a sign!

Ever look at the fine print on your Costco membership or by the door? I've always found it interesting that Costco does that but it's so hidden you can't see it unless looking! Fact is I had carried multiple times into Costco before I saw someone else post it..

I came up from California where gun laws are crazy and CC is a special treat versus a right.. While CA sucks gun law wise, they do have a proactive advocacy community with a very large online community. A lot of legal folks chimed in that all those signs mean is that they can ask you to leave and if you don't you are trespassing.. So they would have to know you wee carrying to even ask you to leave for the firearm..

As for using a gun if necessary in one of those businesses, well I rather break a building policy then have to bow down to some idiot looking for infamy!

I live in OR & recently stopped by the Service counter at Costco & asked about their gun policy. The Assistant Manager was called over & didn't have a clue but a woman behind the counter whipped out some paper & started reading off their policy. If you're current LEO they don't have a problem but it must be concealed.

Citizens can't pump gas in OR & I buy mine at Costco all the time. I open carry depending on the weather & we have to get out & enter our PIN on the pump so anyone can see I'm carrying & I had one attendant actually thank me for upholding the 2A. When I go into the store I just CC - even with a bulge I've never been asked what it is.

Re: CA gun laws - I lived in Sacramento from '82 - '93 & there was no way you could get a CHL but I carried anyway. Now, it's not uncommon for people to have them although it's not cheap to get one. What I find absolutely stupid is that RETIRED military can get one w/o taking a course but even if you spent the last 15 years in the Infantry & left w/o retiring you have to go through the process. I'm betting the folks who retired were probably less likely to have recent firearms experience than the person from the Infantry. Doesn't make sense but hey - it's CA. My son is going through the process & it'll end up costing him around $300.

I lived in CT from '93 - '12 & had a CHL since '95. It required a live fire course (I'd been shooting for ~25 years by then) & the instructor said, "I think you've shot a gun before." When I moved to OR I took a course online for $39, did my paperwork & had to wait a couple of months for an appt at the Sheriff's office b/c they're busy all day long processing CHLs. I have OR, AZ & UT so I'm legal in about 40 states. But not CA - lol. What we need is a license that's good in any state that allows CC. My driver's license & handicap placard are recognized in all 50. Why not my CHL?

BTW - the only time I've ever pointed a gun at someone was in '92 while living in Sacramento, carrying illegally. I was confronted by four guys in a parking lot one night & when the ring leader heard the hammer cock on my snubby & noticed it was pointed at his belly he decided they all needed to be elsewhere immediately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top