JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Non-paywall link to the article:

An excerpt from the article:
If Gov. Gavin Newsom signs the bill, California would impose an 11% excise tax on all guns and ammunition sales. The proceeds would be spent on gun violence prevention and school safety programs.

The federal government has long imposed an excise tax of 10% on the wholesale price of handguns and 11% on long guns and ammunition, with the proceeds funding conservation and hunter education. Some local jurisdictions including Seattle also have gun taxes.

The California bill passed the upper chamber of the state legislature with 27 senators, all Democrats, voting yes, nine against and four not voting.

Under the bill, sales made to law enforcement agencies and officers, or retired officers, would be exempt. In addition, firearms vendors with less than $5,000 in sales per quarter wouldn't have to impose the tax.
If it's anything like the high speed rail they passed in CA, it will be completely ineffective and the funds usage will be a corruption feast.
But wait, there's more!
California already imposes a fee of $37.19 on the sale of each firearm, the proceeds of which go toward law enforcement.

I guess "shall not be infringed" doesn't mean what I thought it meant. :rolleyes:

Voter ID laws are unconstitutional and cost prohibitive according to the liberal mind. But on the other hand an 11% tax on the 2nd amendment? No biggie! Pay up losers!

We are dealing with some seriously brainwashed and/or tragically low iq people here. Stop the planet, I want off!

And likely the cancer will spread up here. Oh, but even on this forum, folks will say it's another common sense issue that doesn't hurt them.

But on the other hand an 11% tax on the 2nd amendment?
I understand your emotion but it's not really a tax on the 2A.

Hey I am NOT in favor of this at all but don't forget - we have been paying an excise tax since 1937 - the Pittman-Robertson Act tax - othewise know as the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration.

The excise tax is set by law at 11% of the wholesale price for long guns and ammunition and 10% for handguns. It is paid by manufacturers, producers, and importers and applies to all commercial sales and imports, However don't think for a minute it hasn't been 'tacked on' to retail prices.

Hey I am NOT in favor of this at all but don't forget - we have been paying an excise tax since 1937 - the Pittman-Robertson Act tax - othewise know as the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration.

The excise tax is set by law at 11% of the wholesale price for long guns and ammunition and 10% for handguns. It is paid by manufacturers, producers, and importers and applies to all commercial sales and imports, However don't think for a minute it hasn't been 'tacked on' to retail prices.
Ahh, but it is. When states start tacking on their own individual fees, individual permit schemes & their own individual taxes ....on top of the federal ones.

Leftists/Democrats are proposing a 1000% tax on firearms. It sounds like you would approve such "Not-A-Tax".

Did you notice this part of my post? - Hey I am NOT in favor of this.

I NEVER said it was 'not a tax' and hardly approve of it.

Please do not paraphrase posts, or add 'meaning' to something that was not inferred or even suggested.
Please share with us the maximum percentage you would consider "not really a tax on the 2A", if any.

"The proceeds would be spent on gun violence prevention and school safety programs."

So, they're going to shut down their Southern border to illegals then?

No?

Didn't think so... :oops:

Please share with us the maximum percentage you would consider "not really a tax on the 2A", if any.
Uh, apparently you missed it the first time so here it is again - I NEVER said it was NOT A TAX.

Ya get that or ya gonna keep repeating yourself?

I have NO maximum percentage because I do NOT agree with ANY taxes at all.

Uh, apparently you missed it the first time so here it is again - I NEVER said it was NOT A TAX.

Ya get that or ya gonna keep repeating yourself?

I have NO maximum percentage because I do NOT agree with ANY taxes at all.
My position is that these taxes have become a form of gun control and are an infringement of our 2nd Amendment rights.

Your position was clearly stated on the first line of post #8:

"I understand your emotion but it's not really a tax on the 2A."

I'll let others come to their own conclusions.

That's right, ALL businesses don't pay tax… they merely collect it for the government via higher prices.

Taxes in conjunction with printing more fiat currency (aka devaluing the dollar) are also the main drivers of price inflation.

"I understand your emotion but it's not really a tax on the 2A."
Right - its a tax on the SALE of guns & ammo - not on the 2A. The 2A is not something we are 'charged' for, and therefor a 'tax' cannot be imposed on the 2A.

I realize you are attempting to equate it, or 'amalgamate' it as such to a tax on the 2A , but I NEVER said it was not a tax - just that it was NOT specifically imposed on the 2A which obviously can never happen.

Right - its a tax on the SALE of guns & ammo - not on the 2A. The 2A is not something we are 'charged' for, and therefor a 'tax' cannot be imposed on the 2A.

I realize you are attempting to equate it, or 'amalgamate' it as such to a tax on the 2A , but I NEVER said it was not a tax - just that it was NOT specifically imposed on the 2A which obviously can never happen.
A tax is an infringement so..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads