JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in OR & recently stopped by the Service counter at Costco & asked about their gun policy. The Assistant Manager was called over & didn't have a clue but a woman behind the counter whipped out some paper & started reading off their policy. If you're current LEO they don't have a problem but it must be concealed.

Citizens can't pump gas in OR & I buy mine at Costco all the time. I open carry depending on the weather & we have to get out & enter our PIN on the pump so anyone can see I'm carrying & I had one attendant actually thank me for upholding the 2A. When I go into the store I just CC - even with a bulge I've never been asked what it is.

Re: CA gun laws - I lived in Sacramento from '82 - '93 & there was no way you could get a CHL but I carried anyway. Now, it's not uncommon for people to have them although it's not cheap to get one. What I find absolutely stupid is that RETIRED military can get one w/o taking a course but even if you spent the last 15 years in the Infantry & left w/o retiring you have to go through the process. I'm betting the folks who retired were probably less likely to have recent firearms experience than the person from the Infantry. Doesn't make sense but hey - it's CA. My son is going through the process & it'll end up costing him around $300.

I lived in CT from '93 - '12 & had a CHL since '95. It required a live fire course (I'd been shooting for ~25 years by then) & the instructor said, "I think you've shot a gun before." When I moved to OR I took a course online for $39, did my paperwork & had to wait a couple of months for an appt at the Sheriff's office b/c they're busy all day long processing CHLs. I have OR, AZ & UT so I'm legal in about 40 states. But not CA - lol. What we need is a license that's good in any state that allows CC. My driver's license & handicap placard are recognized in all 50. Why not my CHL?

BTW - the only time I've ever pointed a gun at someone was in '92 while living in Sacramento, carrying illegally. I was confronted by four guys in a parking lot one night & when the ring leader heard the hammer cock on my snubby & noticed it was pointed at his belly he decided they all needed to be elsewhere immediately.

I was a Paramedic from 85-2001 down in Sacramento, Placer, and Yolo counties and at various times getting a CHL was easier in some areas versus others... Rio Vista was issuing CHL's for anyone who showed up because the chief down there was pro 2A, but he issued the majority of Sacramento county permits if you knew to go to him. They caught up to him in early -mid 90's and stopped him. I came from El Dorado county where it was easy to get one.. There was some strange things where one moment Sacramento would or wouldn't issue.. Now they do but all the hoops-classes-qualifier range test-continue classes and re certify every few years is just BS.. I made mistake of moving to Yolo county, sheriff changed and so did getting a CHL.. I was denied and so were most others unless you were donating to the reelection funds with large checks! That's the strange part about CA, they are a "May Issue" state that leaves it in hands of Sheriff.. So a county could issue for awhile and then a new sheriff could stop the issuing of permits.

So I'm glad you found the policy AFTER someone had to "whip it out" like I said if you look by exit door, most have a store policy sign that is about 8x10 inches and somewhere in it you'll see the firearm part of it.. Almost seems they are ashamed of it?

When the 9th Circuit Court ruled against San Diego County the Sheriff in Yolo said "Screw it" & started issuing them to everyone. My son lives in Sac & it'll cost him about $350 to get his permit but I never thought I'd live long enough to see them issue permits.

To a point I agree - although it isn't quite the same. An accident usually doesn't require you to risk your life or to take the life of someone else. Also, in many states, there are laws protecting you if you render assistance at an accident and don't do anything you aren't trained to do - e.g., don't do an emergency tracheotomy unless you are a trained/experienced EMT/doctor/etc.

OTOH - given today's political/legal/anti-gun environment, what are the chances that if you got a gun out and started hunting down an active shooter in a store, that someone, especially the police, would assume that *you* are the active shooter? What if in the process you injure or kill an innocent? What if you can't do anything and someone sues you for not doing enough in their view?

In today's environment, all of these things can wind up with a person who is trying to save lives being in a lot of trouble - maybe more trouble than the active shooter who is often portrayed as just someone who was confused and happened to have an evil black gun.

Generally I don't carry a gun for protection. The chances that I would ever need it are very very low. This is especially true of day to day circumstances - such as just going to a store for groceries. About the only time I would think to carry a gun would be when I go to meet someone to buy something - such as a gun - with cash.

That doesn't mean I have a problem with people carrying guns - by all means, that is their right. I just don't consider it to usually be necessary for me - in my situation.
I agree with the responsibility issues. I'm a Veteran going to school presently. Prior to and after the military, I had multiple attacks/attempted robberies happen to myself and two other now deceased family members. For my degree, many useful non-revelant classes are needed and I am licensed a "Health Care Professional" in the process. This conveyed the issues of responsibilities of an individual if on duty or otherwise. You have to watch yourself in today's blame or sue your bubblegum mentality when just trying to help, protect, or interact in a situation. No matter if licensed or not, If faced with imminent danger one has the right to protect him/herself by any means available period, my opinion.
In my situations if I would have had my weapon at the time I believe they would of had a totality different outcome. I wouldn't of been robbed, and I wouldn't of had to make a trip to the hospital for 12 stitches in the back of my head. THEY had a gun this time and shots were fired. I had a knife that I utilized to evade the situation, (and they didn't get my cash).
I carry wherever I go. I also keep it concealed. I will continue to do so no matter what the law(s) may come or go. I will watch over and protect me and mine. If we dig into the other area of "others and responsibility" I would have to give another (I apologize), long winded reply.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top