JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. Should it pass into law there will be lots of problems at first as everyone scrambles to figure out all the ramifications in various states.

The bottom line for me is that it is a Civil Right to bear arms. Where or how you bear them should be irrelevant.

I'm a bit concerned about any language that gives too much discretion to "local regulations" as I suspect that is the opening gun controllers need to place ridiculous restrictions on concealed carry that make it essentially impossible to comply:
  • Must stay 500 ft away from churches, but inside churches is okay
  • Not in parks or where more than 50 people are gathered.
  • Must be unloaded with magazine in separate pocket.
  • Must remain completely unnoticeable to protect delicate sensibilities of hipsters
  • No Spandex (actually, this one I agree with)

Rumors were that Ryan would not let it out of committee. I am glad to see movement. It has a chance of passing in the House, the Senate is where there will be problems. But then, whoever thought Trump would actually be elected President?

Washington, for example, doesn't require any training; Oregon does. Without debating the wisdom of requiring training or not, why should Oregon be forced to accept CCPs held by untrained Washington residents?

Sounds like Washington is doing it right. I'll add, how do you know what training another person has? Maybe as much as the two cops in two separate videos shooting themselves. It will be wonderful if congress recognizes the fact the we the people have protection against government overreach to speak out freely against the government if we chose and to keep and bare arms.

Rumors were that Ryan would not let it out of committee. I am glad to see movement. It has a chance of passing in the House, the Senate is where there will be problems. But then, whoever thought Trump would actually be elected President?
The Senate is gonna be the real rub, with Commie Collins and McSh*tstain both Drag-Queen Dems out to screw the Gun Vote at every opportunity. And then there's Flakey Flake and Daddy's Little (Sore) Loser Lisa Murkowski... none of whom I'd trust if they were strapped into a polygraph and electric chair creatively crosswired so one lie means instant fry.

Look, this law would never survive judicial scrutiny if challenged because Congress lacks the constitutional power to pass a law like this. The Constitution only gives the federal government some power and whatever it doesn't give Congress is reserved to the states. Congress can't just pass any law, the power to pass a law has to be delegated to it by the Constitution.

Congress passes all sorts of laws that test the limits of the Constitution, and usually those are upheld under the Commerce Clause. This is how Congress enacts and enforces its prohibitions on firearm possession by certain individuals; the firearm, or some part of it, has to have passed through interstate commerce. I can think of no viable argument on how a national carry concealed act affects interstate commerce. A person engages in commerce by buying or selling a firearm. That person does not engage in commerce by carrying a firearm.

There are also state sovereignty issues.

Look, this law would never survive judicial scrutiny if challenged because Congress lacks the constitutional power to pass a law like this. The Constitution only gives the federal government some power and whatever it doesn't give Congress is reserved to the states. Congress can't just pass any law, the power to pass a law has to be delegated to it by the Constitution.

Congress passes all sorts of laws that test the limits of the Constitution, and usually those are upheld under the Commerce Clause. This is how Congress enacts and enforces its prohibitions on firearm possession by certain individuals; the firearm, or some part of it, has to have passed through interstate commerce. I can think of no viable argument on how a national carry concealed act affects interstate commerce. A person engages in commerce by buying or selling a firearm. That person does not engage in commerce by carrying a firearm.

Killjoy

So what's YOUR plan for putting some teeth in "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," then?

Yeabut..

"The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

National reciprocity...beware

Parody follows.

"Can carry concealed...Except:

Here
There
Here
There
Here
There
Here
There
Here
There

Except:
These
Those
These
Those
That
These
That
Except on:
Mondays
Fridays
Holidays

End parody

Great news! I thought this was going to die in committee. I have been writing my rep and others, I'm so glad I didn't give up.

This is a win, the pen is mightier than (and preferable to) the sword.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top