JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that when it comes to upgrades at one point I had to just say done and just accept it as it is. Its a fine rifle and doesn't "need" anything more... but then... you see something nice and it starts all over. I already have an extra set of sights. I really just wish I could afford a new slim keymod forearm now but I cant complain.

I dig the little compartment inside the pistol grip on the Magpuls and BCMs. I went with the Magpul and put the tiny Gerber Short Stack AR15 tool in there. I also agree on having BUIS sights.
Nice AR, they are fun to build and shoot. Bet your jonesin to take it out.

@DirectDrive, what causes an AR to blow up like that?
I'm not sure of the details on that one other than it was a 300 Blackout.

There's a lot of carnage pics on the internet now that AR's are so popular and of course
more knuckleheads have them.
I think most of the kabooms are probably due to bad reloads.
Sometimes, I think pistol powder gets mistakenly used in a 5.56 case and that's
a guaranteed kaboom.
Do a Google Image Search on "AR Kaboom" if you want to see the carnage.

Do a Google Image Search on "AR Kaboom" if you want to see the carnage.
dang, a very quick read says most are bad reloads. back during the last ammo crunch I bought a bunch of pistol reloads cause it was all I could find. Still have some, although I've never had a problem but at least one box is from a smaller mfg that I think is no longer in business. Takeaway, as long as there is no ammo crunch no need to buy reloads.

Found this hand guard and Foregrip on MidwayUSA for a steal. One step closer to tacticool ;)
Cant wait to take this baby to the range!

Good start but the bad thing is no matter what you do to it there is always something cooler, nicer, lighter or more tacticool. Its an addiction and in my opinion it is a good one.

I say this from experience as I started with one just like you and now I am up to 24.

So once again good start but quit adding stuff and go shoot it, that is the real fun.

Indeed they are. These were just the cheapest to do right off the bat. I didn't wanna break my bank just yet. Although it is tempting! ;)
If you ever get into an optic for it, it will be difficult to not break bank. There is quite a bit of temptation to drop a grand on a scope. o_O

Last Edited:
If you ever get into an optic for it, it will be difficult to break bank. There is quite a bit of temptation to drop a grand on a scope. o_O
Oh I know. Had to stop myself from buying a 1700 dollar acog. I'm just buying crap since I know I can't shoot it till next weekend. 8 must resist the temptation!

Oh I know. Had to stop myself from buying a 1700 dollar acog. I'm just buying crap since I know I can't shoot it till next weekend. 8 must resist the temptation!
Nothing wrong with buying something cheap until you can afford something nicer. Right now all I have for an optic is a cheap $50 UTG red dot... It gave me enough experience to know I really want a scope. For now im using BUISs and occasionally will put on the red dot. The zero actually holds pretty good when swapping it .

Nothing wrong with buying something cheap until you can afford something nicer. Right now all I have for an optic is a cheap $50 UTG red dot... It gave me enough experience to know I really want a scope. For now im using BUISs and occasionally will put on the red dot. The zero actually holds pretty good when swapping it .
For someone that wants to try out an inexpensive red dot, this one is getting pretty good reviews over on ARF: Amazon.com : FieldSport Micro Red Dot Sight, Precision Red Dot Only No Green : Sports & Outdoors
Those guys are pretty rough on cheap equipment and are surprised at the quality on this one. It will give you an idea of how a red dot works for you. You'll want a riser with yours so that is going to be another $10 if you go with a one on that same page. Besides major differences in the glass itself, controls, and seals to maintain the nitrogen, the circuit boards are also cheaper. That means that it may just quit on you for no particular reason. Just understand that it is cheap. If you find like shooting with a red dot, you can start saving for something of higher quality instead of putting out a lot of cash up front just to see what it's like.

ETA: Here's another inexpensive red dot with risers: <broken link removed> . Again, be aware of what this is.

Last Edited:
Magpul makes a grip with a rubbery feel to it. I put the regular magpul grips on all mine and like them a lot, until I felt the rubber ones. Way better.

I'm a total magpul fanboy though.
But you can't go wrong with BCM.

That's the nice thing (and bad) about ARs the possibilities are endless.

I like the foregrip more towards the middle to rear of the handguard as well.
Doesn't wear your shoulders so much, and on a 16" it's not a big difference anyway.

Now on my 24" bull barrel, that's a different story. That pif is wasay front heavy. Bench gun for sure.

Have fun with it, soon enough you will have a drawer full of spare parts like the rest of us.

First upgrade ? Get a 1000 rounds of ammo and get proficiant with the buis and break her in. Nothing like the kiss feeling. I dream of a 3x acog since after 30 years welding, redots look like snowflakes. Using a 1-4 scope w illuminated red dot and hold over marks. Nice and clear now. Have fun !

The AR platform is a lot of fun and it's amazing how the basic rifle soon takes on a whole new personality. I try not to get carried away and have a basic list of what I want to do each time I purchase one:

1. Grippy side rails
2. Angled forward grip
3. QD sling mounts
4. Optic and rings

Speaking of optics, if you want a scope vs. a red dot or prism, check out Vortex Optics. Great glass for great prices.

Have fun with the new gun!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads