JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think it was about '91 when I bought a M1 carbine, my first semi-auto rifle. Through the years I have purchased many more military semi-auto rifles but always snubbed the AR's, preferring wood and steel over aluminum and plastic. After all these years of avoiding AR's I finally just gave in and placed my order for my 1st AR-"ish" rifle. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Sig spear-LT with a 16" 5.56 barrel and folding Sig stock for $2499.99 with a gift card offer of $10 for every $100 you spend on Sig merchandise bringing the price down to about $2250 after adding a small Sig filler item to breach the xx99.99 price. Looking around this seems like about the best deal I would be able to get.

I just changed jobs for one with a huge increase in pay. My old job had to pay out my considerable built up vacation pay as well as the 2022 yearly bonus. I filled my 2022 and 2023 Roth IRA contributions and had just enough money left over to splurge a bit. I was really after a RCP (rifle caliber pistol) in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39) and after a lot of reading decided 300 blackout is close enough making an AR "ish" pistol a possibility instead of a AK "ish" Draco or Zap. I have been eyeing the Tavor's since they first came out but could never find one to shoot to see if I actually like it. I have 2 pistols with interchangeable barrels and really like the versatility (A Dan Wesson .44 and a Desert Eagle .44/50ae). The swappable barrels on the Spear-LT has a LOT of appeal to me for filling the roll of RCP in 300Blk and 16" rifle in 5.56.

The single .223/5.56 I own is a Remington heavy barrel 700. Back in the early 2000's I picked up 5000 Lake City decapped, swaged and polished 5.56 cases for pennies of which I have about 4800 left. I also have several thousand 5.56 bullets and several bricks of small rifle primers (.30 carbine is the only other small rifle primer cartridge I reload for). I guess I always knew I would pick up a semi-auto 5.56 someday but I always figured it would be a Mini-14 to which I would add an "A-Team" under folder. One of my chief complaints about AR's is the buffer tube preventing the practical use of a folding stock.

2023-03-27_090112.jpg

I am going to try to register this as an SBR under the amnesty program along with a couple of other brace pistols I own. (I have an appointment at 3:00 today for e-fingerprints at UPS - https://printscan.com/live-scan-ups-fingerprinting ). If I have to cough up the $200 to SBR the MCX I will but I will give the freebee a try first. After the SBR tax stamp comes in I will purchase a short (6.75" ?) 300 BLK barrel and then apply for a silencer tax stamp giving me the short, quiet RCP I was looking for. I think this will be a great RV/Camping pistol that won't blow out my ears out if I should need to shoot it without protection someday. It might even become my night stand pistol but I doubt I will give up my compact XD mod 2 3.3" in .45acp for taking out the garbage.

Back in the early 2000's I paid a mind blowing $850 for my HK-91 and have never regretted it. I don't think I will end up regretting this Sig MCX Spear-LT either.

Last Edited:
I think it was about '91 when I bought a M1 carbine, my first semi-auto rifle. Through the years I have purchased many more military semi-auto rifles but always snubbed the AR's, preferring wood and steel over aluminum and plastic. After all these years of avoiding AR's I finally just gave in and placed my order for my 1st AR-"ish" rifle. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Sig spear-LT with a 16" 5.56 barrel and folding Sig stock for $2499.99 with a gift card offer of $10 for every $100 you spend on Sig merchandise bringing the price down to about $2250 after adding a small Sig filler item to breach the xx99.99 price. Looking around this seems like about the best deal I would be able to get.

I just changed jobs for one with a huge increase in pay. My old job had to pay out my considerable built up vacation pay as well as the 2022 yearly bonus. I filled my 2022 and 2023 Roth IRA contributions and had just enough money left over to splurge a bit. I was really after a RCP (rifle caliber pistol) in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39) and after a lot of reading decided 300 blackout is close enough making an AR "ish" pistol a possibility instead of a AK "ish" Draco or Zap. I have been eyeing the Tavor's since they first came out but could never find one to shoot to see if I actually like it. I have 2 pistols with interchangeable barrels and really like the versatility (A Dan Wesson .44 and a Desert Eagle .44/50ae). The swappable barrels on the Spear-LT has a LOT of appeal to me for filling the roll of RCP in 300Blk and 16" rifle in 5.56.

The single .223/5.56 I own is a Remington heavy barrel 700. Back in the early 2000's I picked up 5000 Lake City decapped, swaged and polished 5.56 cases for pennies of which I have about 4800 left. I also have several thousand 5.56 bullets and several bricks of small rifle primers (.30 carbine is the only other small rifle primer cartridge I reload for). I guess I always knew I would pick up a semi-auto 5.56 someday but I always figured it would be a Mini-14 to which I would add an "A-Team" under folder. One of my chief complaints about AR's is the buffer tube preventing the practical use of a folding stock.

View attachment 1392036

I am going to try to register this as an SBR under the amnesty program along with a couple of other brace pistols I own. (I have an appointment at 3:00 today for e-fingerprints at UPS - https://printscan.com/live-scan-ups-fingerprinting ). If I have to cough up the $200 to SBR the MCX I will but I will give the freebee a try first. After the SBR tax stamp comes in I will purchase a short (6.75" ?) 300 BLK barrel and then apply for a silencer tax stamp giving me the short, quiet RCP I was looking for. I think this will be a great RV/Camping pistol that won't blow out my ears out if I should need to shoot it without protection someday. It might even become my night stand pistol but I doubt I will give up my compact XD mod 2 3.3" in .45acp for taking out the garbage.

Back in the early 2000's I paid a mind blowing $850 for my HK-91 and have never regretted it. I don't think I will end up regretting this Sig MCX Spear-LT either.
If you're buying it today, I don't think it qualifies for the free tax stamp. I remember reading that it only applies to firearms already in your possession at the time the rules were officially published. Still looks like a very nice gun though.

If you're buying it today, I don't think it qualifies for the free tax stamp. I remember reading that it only applies to firearms already in your possession at the time the rules were officially published. Still looks like a very nice gun though.
...but look at the bright side, you'll be a felon with millions of others so you're in good company.

...but look at the bright side, you'll be a felon with millions of others so you're in good company.
Isn't that some bubblegum. A felony for owning something that was totally legal months prior meanwhile in Portland criminals/transients are breaking into people's homes/throwing rocks through their windshields while driving/stealing dump trailers worth over 20k and not even being charged with anything.

My only reccomendation would be to buy any spares now, if they are available. Sig has a bad habit of "upgrading" and discontinuing previous models parts.
Had a gen 1 MCX, fwtw...

So... To SBR under amnesty this would also need to have been a braced pistol not a 16" barreled rifle. To SBR it you will need your SBR stamp before mounting a short barrel.

So... To SBR under amnesty this would also need to have been a braced pistol not a 16" barreled rifle. To SBR it you will need your SBR stamp before mounting a short barrel.

I have a lot of faith in ATF's inadequacy and not being able to track purchase dates etc., but if I have to pay the $200 tax for SBR I will. I couldn't justify spending $200 tax for my Ruger PC charger or Keltec CP33 which I will register for free but the MCX would be worth paying the $200 SBR tax.

My only reccomendation would be to buy any spares now, if they are available. Sig has a bad habit of "upgrading" and discontinuing previous models parts.
Had a gen 1 MCX, fwtw...
I completely understand why someone would be frustrated with SIG upgrading a design and abandoning the original design. The design changes between the MCX Virtus and MCX Spear-LT look to be quite minimal from everything I have read. I did read a report that Virtus barrels are interchangeable with Spear-LT barrels but the forearms aren't interchangeable. I am purchasing the Spear-LT knowing that it will one day be replaced by a V4 MCX design... something I would not have anticipated when buying an original MCX when they were first out.

I actually considered a used 11.5" Virtus pistol but it was only $450 cheaper than this Spear rifle and didn't come with a stock or brace.

The PrintScan place messed up my appointment for today so they moved it to 3:30 tomorrow at the local UPS store. I will be getting 8 fingerprint cards for registering my CP33 and PCCharger and MCX-Spear and a silencer for the MCX.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads