JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Years ago I rattle canned a shotgun for duck hunting that has held up well and still looks great after almost 40 years. With that in mind, I prepped a magazine and practiced on it first and then got serious on my coleman water bottle. Satisfied the gun wouldn't turn out like azz, I did a thorough degrease and taped up some of the areas I did not want paint on. A base coat of hunter green with some dark brown slashes followed by a light sage green sprayed over cedar boughs from the yard, gave me the NW forest look I was after. I will be painting more after this experience.

923A4FA9-728E-43C9-9963-CAE0E7FEA418.jpeg CF4E8642-E912-4A9C-82DC-7ABB69C789F3.jpeg

This reminds me that I gotta rattle can the Sig Cross I just picked up.

This is an inch pattern frakenfal I have had for years that has turned out to be very accurate and reliable, but was not much to look at finish wise. Maybe if I ever get a Rhodesian build fal, I will do a nw rhode poop paint job using a real rhododendron for a stencil.

Looks great. One of these days I'll rattle can an AR. I've always wanted to.

so guessing the base was the dark green, correct? then layered lighter colors over. but how did you get the foliage edges so crisp?
Go pull some ferns/fir tree branches/grass/maple leafs/arborvitae/other plants and lay them directly on the firearm. Spray directly above them and not from the side.

Look guys, if a knuckledragger like me can pull this off, you are all pretty much capable of doing it. Yes hunter green base coat first and lay the cedar boughs tight to the rifle and spray locally and lightly. If you F it up you can respray so don't stress. Practice on something you really don't care to much about is recommended though.

Start with your darkest color as the base and work to the lightest color.

Example

1. Brown
2. OD Green
3. Tan

I always spray the first coat with a dark primer and then start with my colors.

Like @osprey said. If you mess up you can just spray again. And as the paint wears you can just continue to touch up spots as you wish.

Personally I like the look and craft of spray paint over cerakote. And it costs way less.

Also wear gloves if you don't want to sport camo hand paint on your stencil holding hand for a few days. I omitted this step. Here is my duck gun I painted almost 40 years ago. I have done zero touchup on it since and it has had some rough treatment.
1EDBF121-2D3D-44B5-AD8B-CBACDA817D7F.jpeg

My 2 cents is warm your gun up and the rattle cans on a heater vent and get them warm but not hot. I've never bothered to degrease mine just kind of give them a good once over with a clean rag on the sweet spots. There are a ton of YouTube videos on it. Be creative in your stencils, things like stickers to remove after paint like a punisher skull and such. Dollar store and Kraft and fabric and thrift stores have interesting things that can be used as stencils from fake vegetation and flowers to old football jerseys and fish net laundry bags. primary arms sells some cool real deal stencils specifically for this I've wanted for awhile.

If you don't like it you can always use a little fingernail polish remover aka acetone to take it right off. It's super easy to do, I've done them for other people and they always turn out great, especially on plain jane black rifles!

My 2 cents is warm your gun up and the rattle cans on a heater vent and get them warm but not hot. I've never bothered to degrease mine just kind of give them a good once over with a clean rag on the sweet spots. There are a ton of YouTube videos on it. Be creative in your stencils, things like stickers to remove after paint like a punisher skull and such. Dollar store and Kraft and fabric and thrift stores have interesting things that can be used as stencils from fake vegetation and flowers to old football jerseys and fish net laundry bags. primary arms sells some cool real deal stencils specifically for this I've wanted for awhile.
Good input Uni! I would however advocate for degreasing and possibly roughing up any slick surfaces for max adhesion. My old scattergun got both and the paint has held up remarkably.

F it I'm doing it. Thread is plenty motivation and I've always said I'd do it. Mostly as I figured I'd buy enough paint to do a few that can be stored for later if needed. IE it's probably a good idea to have some camo spray paint laying around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top