JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As you appear to be based in Yoojeeen, take a trip into town [if you don't actually live within the city limits] and go see Steve at Mazama Outdoor Sports. His recently enlarged store is something to behold, that's for sure.

yeah I was already planning on it, their prices and selection look fantastic! thinking about picking up the Browning BPS microtrap...

I didn't see it mentioned here, but once you qualify, I would suggest also getting your Oregon CHL (Concealed Handgun License). Even if you don't plan to carry a gun, it has some benefits - first, it helps speed up the background check process at the FFL as CHL holders get put ahead of non-CHL holders in the queue, so you may save some time on future purchases. In addition, the CHL earns you some exemptions to certain local rules and laws passed by counties, cities, etc., because the state law has preemption over local gun laws, especially for CHL holders. Say you had to go in to Portland and wanted to have that shotgun in your rig, without that CHL, it better be unloaded, locked up and ammo stored separately. With the CHL, you've got some extra leeway. Just something to consider.

I'd love to get a concealed carry but don't I have to be 21? I just turned 20 a week ago.

Don't forget to turn in your old California drivers license when you attain residency in Oregon and receive your new Oregon DL.
If you don't and California finds out that you've moved out of state, they can and will revoke your old drivers license and that can automatically suspend your new Oregon license.

My California DL is suspended till January 8 for speeding tickets, so I was hoping a plain old ID card would work? Or would that cause problems? I don't have any criminal history like dunehopper was wondering just the traffic tickets.

The main reason for turning in your old Cali license is that if you don't, you would be in possession of two different states identifications and you would still be on their voting register.

@OP

Not for nothing, but get your plates (all cars) quickly. Too many try to cheap out on that, let the old ones stay until they expire.

Also, check your bracket ( the vanity thing ) many cover the Oregon Tags - you can meet some nice troopers, deputies and officers if you do that.

Everything worked out! Just needed my rental lease agreement and passport and they issued a state ID. Headed right over to Mazama and got a Mossberg 500 and some ammo with just the temporary paper license. Thanks for the help!

Great point! I got pulled over by Beaverton PD because I had one of those plastic (clear, not the sneaky ones that obscure) and had to remove it on-the-spot. :/ Me, I'm thinking the plate would last longer with the protection, but, as they said, even a sheet of Saran Wrap is a "cover" and a no-no.
But you see them all the time. Plus they help defeat the camera systems

Everything worked out! Just needed my rental lease agreement and passport and they issued a state ID. Headed right over to Mazama and got a Mossberg 500 and some ammo with just the temporary paper license. Thanks for the help!

I telt ya they'd be good. One old boy in there remembers when there was a real mountain called Mazama....now Crater Lake.

... the CHL earns you some exemptions to certain local rules and laws passed by counties, cities, etc...
That, sir, is a classic understatement. It is insanely easy to get yourself jammed-up with a misdemeanor "Unlawful posession of a firearm" charge and conviction. Probably no jail time unless you can't make bail. 1 yr prohibition from owning "weapons" (undefined), and you can put off that CHL for 4 more years. Community service, money spent on a lawyer, etc, etc, etc. If you think you might talk the cops out of arresting and charging you because you're new in the state, maybe weren't quite savvy on the laws in your new state, were in compliance w the laws in your former state of residence... nope, nope, and "You ain't in *insert state here* anymore"... They could inform you of the law, tell you "DON'T DO that AGAIN" and let you go home. For most of us, that would have the same effect... behavior modification via knowledge, but would avoid the susequent bitter hatred of an entire county's sheriff dept., and all of the utterly unnecessary money and trouble that follows a misdemeanor arrest of an ignorant but well-intentioned citizen.

Too much? Okay... dial it back some.
Oregon CHL (Concealed Handgun License)... has some benefits... it helps speed up the background check process at the FFL as CHL holders get put ahead of non-CHL holders in the queue,
Is that true? Do you present your CHL at the point of transfer or does OSP tie it to your ODL/OID on it's own? My one and only "delay" came well after I had my OR CHL... most of my tranfers are done "off-peak", usually middle of the week (cuz... work schedule) and go pretty fast. I've never noticed a difference in speed from BC to PC (BeforeChl to PostChl).

Last Edited:
Is that true? Do you present your CHL at the point of transfer or does OSP tie it to your ODL/OID on it's own? My one and only "delay" came well after I had my OR CHL... most of my tranfers are done "off-peak", usually middle of the week (cuz... work schedule) and go pretty fast. I've never noticed a difference in speed from BC to PC (BeforeChl to PostChl).

This started, as I recall, about 2 years ago. First informed of it by Tigard Pawn, then confirmed by at least 4 other FFL's since then. Interesting in that some ask to see the CHL, some don't - I'm guessing those that don't can perhaps see you have it because of your ODL online? I am not sure of their process. Either way, it's been explained to me by the FFL's that CHL holders get priority in the QUEUE, not necessarily a faster return on your personal BGC. All it means is if 10 people are in line and 2 of them have CHL's, the CHL holders will be moved to the top of the line for processing.

I had the misfortune of doing a private sale to someone who didn't have a CHL. They kept getting 'bumped' further down the queue as CHL holders dropped in. We ended up waiting over an hour for the BGC to finally get to the top of the line and get processed. Rarely do I ever wait more than 5-10 minutes, tops.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect a "delay" on a very new ODL. Get back to us and let us know how it shakes out.

Nope, no delay so long as it's a valid license. My girlfriend moved up from the Bay Area about two years ago, and the first thing we did was buy her an M&P 15. We were in and out in 20 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top