JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving to Oregon from California in a couple months and would like to purchase a 12 gauge to go skeet shooting with. I understand I need to produce an Oregon DL/ID in order to purchase the gun there, but I would like to avoid all the red tape nonsense in California. Once my first utility bill comes in in Oregon, will that allow me to get an Oregon ID card and purchase the gun there, or is there more involved in establishing the residency required to buy a firearm there? Basically, is it easier to change my residency and buy a gun in Oregon or to just go through the whole testing and waiting period ordeal in California?

I assume you're actually moving and not just trying to find a loophole. If so, yes it as easy as getting your ID sorted out and then walking into any store, waiting 30ish minutes for the background check to clear and you are done. They don't ask for anything more than. DL with a CURRENT address.

Yup, once you get your OR DL, you can go get your Shotti from anywhere in the state. All they ask is that your physical address is the same as the one on your ID. In and out in 30 minutes or less.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect a "delay" on a very new ODL. Get back to us and let us know how it shakes out.

To answer your question directly, I have not been a legal resident of California in over 25 years so I haven't bought a gun there in a while, but from what people I know down there tell me and what I read, it will be easier in Oregon.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect a "delay" on a very new ODL. Get back to us and let us know how it shakes out.

To answer your question directly, I have not been a legal resident of California in over 25 years so I haven't bought a gun there in a while, but from what people I know down there tell me and what I read, it will be easier in Oregon.

You'd think, and it could very well be that way now.

The day we received our OR drivers licenses in the mailbox, I went and bought a handgun that afternoon.

Mind, however, that this is the 2nd time that we are Oregon residents.

Forget if it's the same DL number, or not. Doubtful, as the DMV took our OR's back in mass to get those. They were not the same as prior MA either.

Anyways, OP, if your moving soonish (subjective), then just wait. OR DMV is pretty quick to send out the drivers license after you go down there. We waited over a year to go down...don't do that!.

Anyways, OP, if your moving soonish (subjective), then just wait. OR DMV is pretty quick to send out the drivers license after you go down there. We waited over a year to go down...don't do that!.

o_O

I was in state maybe 20 min when I stepped into an OR DMV and had three employees practically knock me over to serve me. Walked out with plate for my rig and a temp ODL in less than 10.

o_O

I was in state maybe 20 min when I stepped into an OR DMV and had three employees practically knock me over to serve me. Walked out with plate for my rig and a temp ODL in less than 10.

Yah...I know...:rolleyes:

Even kept the original tags, and was able to transfer them back "reasonably easy". My truck had a note on it, so that was a bit of a farce dealing with that getting the title transferred. More a hassle with the bank than the DMV.

The SUV? Attached the old plates rite back on.

DMV here is shockingly helpful! They even answer the phone.

MASS? You get a callback DAY & time if you have a question.

Lots of people try to get an Oregon Drivers License because Oregon does not have a sales tax. The DMV will require your birth certificate and some paperwork with your new Oregon address on it such as a utility bill or real estate deed. They give you a paper copy at the DMV and the physical card will arrive in the mail in about a week. I am not sure if all FFLs will accept the paper copy.

Even after you get your physical card the DMV can still F things up for you. Years ago I renewed and got my card, but some idiot at the DMV marked that I did not pass my eye exam which automatically suspended my license without my knowledge. When I tried to buy a long gun in Oregon years later the OSP would not even process my background check because they said my ID was no good.

The OSP challenge line was not very helpful, but my local DMV did an early renewal for me with no extra charges or penalties so I would have a valid license.

I didn't see it mentioned here, but once you qualify, I would suggest also getting your Oregon CHL (Concealed Handgun License). Even if you don't plan to carry a gun, it has some benefits - first, it helps speed up the background check process at the FFL as CHL holders get put ahead of non-CHL holders in the queue, so you may save some time on future purchases. In addition, the CHL earns you some exemptions to certain local rules and laws passed by counties, cities, etc., because the state law has preemption over local gun laws, especially for CHL holders. Say you had to go in to Portland and wanted to have that shotgun in your rig, without that CHL, it better be unloaded, locked up and ammo stored separately. With the CHL, you've got some extra leeway. Just something to consider.

Also be advised that private sales in Oregon, as of 2015 (SB941) are required to go through an FFL - good to know just in case you need to make a private purchase later.

I'm moving to Oregon from California in a couple months and would like to purchase a 12 gauge to go skeet shooting with. I understand I need to produce an Oregon DL/ID in order to purchase the gun there, but I would like to avoid all the red tape nonsense in California. Once my first utility bill comes in in Oregon, will that allow me to get an Oregon ID card and purchase the gun there, or is there more involved in establishing the residency required to buy a firearm there? Basically, is it easier to change my residency and buy a gun in Oregon or to just go through the whole testing and waiting period ordeal in California?

As you appear to be based in Yoojeeen, take a trip into town [if you don't actually live within the city limits] and go see Steve at Mazama Outdoor Sports. His recently enlarged store is something to behold, that's for sure. Afterwards you can take a leisurely 20-yard stroll down to Carl Jnrs and have one of the best burgers you'd ever operated your teeth on.

Into black powder shooting of any kind? Apart from having Andy here, there are a number of others, me included who shot the Holy Black. Living in Yoojeen means that you are only a spit and a f*rt from The Gun Works, just over I5 in Springfield. It's hands-down the best gunstore for BP shooters of all kinds on the West Coast. When you go there, even just to say hello to Jim and Suzi, say hello for me, too.

Signature line left intentionally blank

Yep, get your ID, and your CC after that.

There is no loop hole in any of the states, and if you have a felony, do even try and buy they will nap you at the store. Again against the lies the antis state this is also not possible.

There are laws in place that require a BGC, if you apply knowing you are a felon you will be arrested. You will net be handed the firearm at anytime until the check comes back OK, use your name that is on your ID as well they will check everything about you. Agains there are no loop holes here or any gun shows.

Don't forget to turn in your old California drivers license when you attain residency in Oregon and receive your new Oregon DL.
If you don't and California finds out that you've moved out of state, they can and will revoke your old drivers license and that can automatically suspend your new Oregon license.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top