JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Conceal carry will be a wedge in 114. I think we have legal precedent here.

CHL courses constitute as "training", anyone with a CHL by technicality does indeed have "training" therefore should be exempt from 114.

Conceal carry standard capacity magazines will also be a legal battle as 15rnds seems to be the standard so having to find mags that are 10 and ubder for some pistols can be very difficult. And simply "buying" a new gun with lower available capacity mags with this new permit system is now not an option because of the time and extra cost. So I think we can defeat this BS in court. Luckily anti gunners are mental midgets.
I kind of halfway suspect that pro gun sheriffs will go that route. Even so, I'm still cheezed that I have to ask for permission and pay a fee to exercise an enumerated right.

ITS NOT PASSED YET.
ARE ALL EASTSIDE VOTES IN.
ONLY 60 SOME PERCENT IN YET. AND IT CLOSE

And even if it does it's headed for the supreme court as a complete 2nd infringement.

ITS NOT PASSED YET.
ARE ALL EASTSIDE VOTES IN.
ONLY 60 SOME PERCENT IN YET. AND IT CLOSE
i like your optimism !! but if you check below, Multnomah and Washington counties are outnumbering all other counties with still 30 percent left votes to be counted while majority red counties are already up by 90 percent . ill be glad to be wrong on this but based on the trend it doesn't look good

Screenshot_20221109-112043.jpg Screenshot_20221109-103711.jpg

Yes, I'm still hoping it does not pass.

If it does, what is the start date? I just re read the text, and can't find it, is there a normal date that ballot measures take effect? January 1st for example.

The dates that have been posted so far in this thread, have been all over the place.

Magazine restrictions is already being challenged in California. The case is Duncan v. Bonta. It's 5 years in and has already been to SCOTUS, who GVR'd it after Bruen. It's back with Judge Benitez in the CA/San Diego District Court, waiting on his ruling which will likely be in December. Benitez has already ruled VERY favorably on the case and declared magazine restrictions patently unconstitutional. It's highly unlikely that he will change his position...especially in light of Bruen.

The real question is, "what will happen next?" Will Bonta (CA AG) appeal the ruling to the corrupt 9th or not? And if he does, what will the 9th do in light of Bruen? It seems highly unlikely that mag bans will ultimately be found constitutional but the question is how long will this take?

The good news is we're already five years into this and the case has already been to SCOTUS once. We're a lot closer to the end than to the beginning. And the outcome should bode very well for Oregon considering Oregon is part of the 9th District.

While I am with you in spirit Alex, I think we can't forget the fact of the population. When you compare the voting populations of Portland Beaverton Salem and Eugene, filled with left of center non firearm oriented voters to the rest of state we have a problem. While we should appreciate the support from the rest of the state, which did show up nicely in the votes, we can't depend on that to turn the tide of the anti's. When those of us who were standing with signs on the overpasses were flipped off, each of those fingers reflected hundreds of yes voters.
Additionally, lets look at the lack luster support of those business and organizations who were supposedly on our side (?)
The NRA, as I anticipated, mainly showed up to bang the tambourine and pass the collection plate. OK things cost money, we all get that. I'm now again waiting for that return on my money.
I have been an NRA member a number of times, but have repeatedly been disappointed in the return on investment. Well this time they dropped the ball on one of the most draconian POS gun measures in the dam country.

So what did we get, some signs ? Hell we collectively did that ourselves without paying a middle man.
Oh, I do have some neat looking NRA decals though.
I joined and donated to the 2nd Amendment Foundation. They are responsible for most of the recent big wins and may be our best hope here.

Aside from 114, 113 passed and got an overwhelming support.

this measure will only going to affect the minority party (republican lawmakers). before they're able to walk out for every non sense bills that the democrats where trying to pass including gun laws.

according to oregonlive and kgw, 114 passed .. google still says only 56 percent but im not setting my hopes high.

question: so what now? what will happen? what are the things we can do?

this measure doesnt have grandfather clause so meaning buying mags now wont matter as it will still be unlawful after December 7.

unfunded permitting process wont be available in a month, few months or even a year.. meaning, we wont be able to buy anything unless another measure opposing this comes out but that will 2024.
the mags you can own, not illegal. just cant buy new

You can stand on "shall not be infringed" all you like, however states have had mag bans and FOIDs for a number of decades. And many of those still stand. While I agree with that stance, the reality seems to be infringement is just fine. The supreme court likely won't help us here.

Also, having a hardline stance is great. Right up until it's YOU in front of a judge facing a decade in prison and six figures in fines.

What a damn mess.

Aside from 114, 113 passed and got an overwhelming support.

this measure will only going to affect the minority party (republican lawmakers). before they're able to walk out for every non sense bills that the democrats where trying to pass including gun laws.
Which I truly hope one day, decades from now, it really bites them in the bubblegum. The schadenfreude from unintended consequences will be orgasmic

Conceal carry will be a wedge in 114. I think we have legal precedent here.

CHL courses constitute as "training", anyone with a CHL by technicality does indeed have "training" therefore should be exempt from 114.
I'm hoping you are correct, although I think that 114 is fairly explicit that the training must be done by law enforcement.

I'm hoping you are correct, although I think that 114 is fairly explicit that the training must be done by law enforcement.
I think we may be able to work into the bill that a CHL could constitute as training. Two birds with stone since there really isnt a vastly laid out learning/training plan from those big thinkers yet. In fact Id LOVE to see those big thinkers (antis) try and teach a course on firearms.

I figure the classes could cover the same thing. Id also assume there could be an online course available as with CHL giving folks the option of remote learning/testing. Ultimately I hope it gets repealed.

As for the magazine rule, it looks more likely to be overturned. They just made my Canik's useless outside the house and the range, aholes. There are no 10rd magazines available right now. So can't use my gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I teach concealed carry classed (both Utah and Oregon). I am not sure yet how that is going to affect us. From what I am understanding is that since there is not provisions to grandfather in any existing firearm ownerships, and you will need a permit to buy a firearm, technically, nobody owns firearms anymore (legally anyway).
That's baloney. The law pertains to future firearms purchases and transfers. It does not affect ownership of currently owned firearms (or magazines, for that matter). The law requires a permit to purchase, not a permit to own. I suggest you read the whole text of the measure before making statements like that. If it's too complicated for you, consult a lawyer. It's probably a deductible business expense.
Since nobody technically owns a gun, why would you need a concealed carry permit for something you do not have any more. Not to mention almost every normal handgun is now outlawed anyway. So, I am not sure if we will continue or not after December 7th. I do not know if we will be able to. We teach at a gun shop, who know if they'll even be able to stay open after December 7th.
It appears to me the new requirement to have a permit to purchase and the concealed handgun license are 2 separate things. Presumably, a person who is not yet a gun owner but wants to purchase one and desires to carry concealed will need to obtain both. An existing gun owner who does not have a CHL would still obtain one in the normal manner.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads