JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Colt 2000 9mm pistol. The trigger pull is extremely long and heavy. One mag will wear your finger out. Surprisingly accurate but had to be kept well lubed to function reliably. Has not left the safe for over 20 years.

KelTec PF9 Nasty heavy trigger, poor accuracy and bites like a mongoose. Yeah hey! They should have called it a "Mongoose 9". :)

I don't know that I hate any guns, but I can say I'm not a fan of running full on .357's through the wife's SP101. Not much fun there.

That SP101 was what Wifey wanted, and got, for her first carry gun after shooting a friends. The buddy put three .357s in it for me to shoot. I shot ONE round and handed it back to him. I had the same feeling toward .44 mag in a full size .629.
If you want to call me a woosy, that's fine. I consider myself "Recoil Sensitive".

It was a German made 8 round .22lr revolver. Forget the brand name now but it was considered awful by almost everyone. Gave it to a brother-in-law [back when that was OK].

Smith & Wesson Model 66-7, 4" stainless. Not the guns fault, though. I bought it used and it was a little dirty (first time I ever bought used, didn't know everything to look for). Took it shooting, and loved the trigger, but it was keyholing. Took it to my local shop to look at, and turns out the last half inch or so of the barrel crown is jacked up, looks like someone jammed something into it. Then they shot it until it was dirty, sold it thru a shop that didn't clean it either, and I now have a S&W paperweight. I don't trust it's accuracy enough to carry it around the ranch, and it's probably going to cost as much as I paid for it to get it rebarreled. Lesson learned.

...ie a S&W paperweigh...
Sounds like they had a squib load and fired another shot to "clear" the barrel. You might want to consider contacting Smith and Wesson about a new barrel. They just might surprise you. You might also want to hit a Gunshow or two and see if you can find a better barrel. Or maybe look at having that barrel shorted and re-crowned. Good Luck.

Sounds like they had a squib load and fired another shot to "clear" the barrel. You might want to consider contacting Smith and Wesson about a new barrel. They just might surprise you. You might also want to hit a Gunshow or two and see if you can find a better barrel. Or maybe look at having that barrel shorted and re-crowned. Good Luck.

I picked up a new revolver to replace it years ago already (Taurus Model 66 4" stainless), so I was considering turning the S&W into a snubby. But I moved to some acreage recently in the mountains, so I'm actually reconsidering turning it into a 6" barrel for a little extra velocity in case of a bear or some other big critter trouble. But maybe I should contact S&W, see if they can do anything, and what kind of cost I'm looking at.

KelTec PF9 Nasty heavy trigger, poor accuracy and bites like a mongoose. Yeah hey! They should have called it a "Mongoose 9". :)

That SP101 was what Wifey wanted, and got, for her first carry gun after shooting a friends. The buddy put three .357s in it for me to shoot. I shot ONE round and handed it back to him. I had the same feeling toward .44 mag in a full size .629.
If you want to call me a woosy, that's fine. I consider myself "Recoil Sensitive".

.357 in a little SP101 - I wouldn't say you're "recoil sensitive", it just plain hurts! No matter the grip, it just digs in and you definitely feel it. I swapped the little plastic grips on the wife's with a Hogue rubber grip and that made .357 much more bearable. Either way, she only shoots .38's herself, though she has managed a few .357's Eventually the Hogue came off and it's wearing a Crimson Trace laser grip now.

I picked up a new revolver to replace it years ago already (Taurus Model 66 4" stainless), so I was considering turning the S&W into a snubby. But I moved to some acreage recently in the mountains, so I'm actually reconsidering turning it into a 6" barrel for a little extra velocity in case of a bear or some other big critter trouble. But maybe I should contact S&W, see if they can do anything, and what kind of cost I'm looking at.
There are so many "parts Kits" around for the M66 that came from guns destroyed by Law enforcement that a barrel would be easy to find. The 66 is a great pistol, a cut or two above a Taurus. This is the kind of deal I figure has no value as is (already lost the purchase price) so a couple of hundred bucks or less is inexpensive for a quality handgun. You could install a 4 or 6 inch barrel and have a great gun for your new property. There is both a 4" and 6" takeoff on gun broker right now for 125.00 each.

Last Edited:
... I swapped the little plastic grips on the wife's with a Hogue rubber grip and that made .357 much more bearable...
This might be a good place for a "Surprise" round of .357 Magnum being the first one in the cylinder. I've read a lot of shooting reports and all of them said the shooter never felt the recoil of any of the first few rounds. This seems to be especially true of a revolver. :)

Winchester post 64 in 300 mag. When sighting it in I forgot to put one in the chamber and when I pulled the trigger, a almost fell off my stool. Used it to miss two bull elk, cuz I don't flinch. Traded it for a very successful 3006.

When Rock Island 1911's first hit the market I bought one, but it wouldn't feed and stovepiped practically every other round. So I sent it to Nevada and they sent it back saying nothing was wrong with it. So I sold it for a loss and bought another. That one wouldn't feed and stovepiped as well. Sold that one for a loss and took a chance on a Tactical model with the beavertail, etc. It was also crap and got sold for a loss too.

To say I was disillusioned with the brand as well as their customer service would be quite an understatement. I know people like them and they seem to be pretty good pistols with a decent reputation, but my experience was quite different.

I carried different brands of Commander size 1911's for many years. I've owned Colt's, Dan Wesson's, Springfields, Rugers, a Les Baer TRS and some Kimbers so I know it wasn't operator error. ;)

There are so many "parts Kits" around for the M66 that came from guns destroyed by Law enforcement that a barrel would be easy to find. The 66 is a great pistol, a cut or two above a Taurus. This is the kind of deal I figure has no value as is (already lost the purchase price) so a couple of hundred bucks or less is inexpensive for a quality handgun. You could install a 4 or 6 inch barrel and have a great gun for your new property. There is both a 4" and 6" takeoff on gun broker right now for 125.00 each.

That's actually less than I was expecting! Is the install on this something I could do myself, or would I need a gunsmith? I'm guessing the latter, but I've never done work on a gun before.

That's actually less than I was expecting! Is the install on this something I could do myself, or would I need a gunsmith? I'm guessing the latter, but I've never done work on a gun before.
Needs to go to a smith.......not an expensive job. I think including the cost of the barrel, 200.00 or less. You can sell the Taurus and come out ahead in all ways. I love my Pythons and Troopers but bought one of the first M66's sold to the public (most early guns went to Law Enforcement) and it was a great gun. I sold it mostly because I am a 4" barrel guy. If I want to carry something as large as a 6" revolver, I would just as soon carry a carbine. They are wonderful on the range but a handgun is designed to be carried.

Last Edited:
Needs to go to a smith.......not an expensive job. I think including the cost of the barrel, 200.00 or less.

Nice! Now I just need some available funds...:( Thanks for all the info though, I appreciate it! I'm pretty sure this revolver has had trigger work or something, it feels so smooth and nice, it was fun to shoot! Pull the hammer back and use it in SA, and all you need to do is whisper "shoot" and it goes bang!

Mine would be a US Revolver Co. top break in .32 S&W. All of the innards fell out so now it is gun pieces in a bag and best left as a project for someone. Next up would be my 1895 Nagant which I only keep because of it's weird factor. It's really not bad if you use it as an SA for capping Red Army deserters in the back of the head.

In case you were unaware...
Colt All American Recall

Thanks, I was aware. Not sure I want to bother. Back in 2000 or thereabouts, I called Colt to ask them about working on it. The woman that answered the phone said she had never heard of the "Colt 2000" and thought I was confusing them with another company. Colt was going thru some really tough times back then. She said she had to ask someone about it, put me on hold, and never came back.

Maybe I should pull it out of the safe to see what kind of condition it's in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top