JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the mark II the bolt action .22 by savage? Been on the fence about getting one.
Yes, I find it a little rough but very accurate. I have the Leopold 3X9X40 Rimfire scope on it. I really like the accu-trigger. Being full sized it feels and fits like holding a bigger caliber rifle without the muzzle blast and recoil. That makes it easy to practice marksmanship skills without getting beat up.

Yes, I find it a little rough but very accurate. I have the Leopold 3X9X40 Rimfire scope on it. I really like the accu-trigger. Being full sized it feels and fits like holding a bigger caliber rifle without the muzzle blast and recoil. That makes it easy to practice marksmanship skills without getting beat up.
Red trigger blade?

Blasted the 10/22 - fun, even with crappy ammo

the Beretta m9 22, love that gun

buddies tube fed savage semi 22, super accurate

and

Hatson pump 12 gauge, hurts worse than I remember, shot some of my dads old azz #4

all in all, a pretty good Monday

Just got word that Tomorrow's job got pushed back another day, Oh Bummer :s0130:

I decided that today was the day for another gun day fun day, after all the best way to keep you rights is to use them. So I started off at the rifle range to zero my new Savage Axis II 25-06 with some 115gr Hornady factory ammo so when I get to hand loading the scope cross hairs and point of impact with be reasonably close. I started at 50 yds to get on paper then moved out to 100yds. All told I shot maybe 15 rounds to get a verify a 100 yd zero. The rest of the box I shot up wanging the 200 yd steel gongs. There was a couple of forum members there as well and one of them wanted to see what the 25-06 was all about so I let him fire a couple shots and he got the steel both times. It is just that easy, put the cross hairs where you want the bullet to go and wang it's there. Next I moved down to the pistol range and shot my 44 Mag Redhawk with mild 44 special loads double action just to say I did. I was able to keep all the holes in the center part of a paper plate at 10 paces. I don't know if that's good or bad but it is minute of bad guy.
I then shot my 10mm loads over the chronograph because I'd quoted the book values to a customer and he wanted the actual out of my gun values. No problem I can do that.
Lastly I shot the 38 super with the 125gr HP's, those shot really well and I was hitting the 6" plates on the 25 yd dueling tree as long as I did my part.

Yesterday I traded into a CZ shadow 2 SAO, today I spent a couple hours shooting a Bowling Pin Match with it. I didn't win but had fun anyway. I know silly me, get a full on race gun and the first time I shoot it is in a match. Hey I guess that's just how I roll. I was doing pretty good for the first hour and a half but kind of lost my game for the last half hour. I don't know if it was the heat, low blood sugar shakes or what but my amount of hits dropped right off. Still and all I really enjoyed shooting it. Hopefully as I learn my way around this firearm I can do it's potential, justice. As a true member of the consumerist society the first thing I did today when I got home was to order new grips to "fix " my gun.

Yacolt burn today, temperature was perfect, shot the SD40 with new Apex trigger, the EDC and 200 more rounds of 22 lr through the sr22.

FYI
Federal premium Gold medal target. 40 gr 22lr is excellent
but
WInchester target and plinking 40 22lr is the second worst ammo I have ever shot.

I was all domestic this morning mowing the lawn and taking the Dog to the Dog Park so rewarded myself by taking the Rock Island .45 for a drive to the local BLM gravel stockpile and playing happy can for an hour with it.

I was out shooting my new to me .357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk Monday at the local BLM stock pile site and then Yesterday between customers for sight in days we shot at the 200 yd gongs with my 38 super and 10mm. A couple of the other RO's had never shot those calibers so me being the great enabler brought them out. I emphasize shot at because with about 50 rounds fired there were only two hits on steel. Still and all it was a fun game, 200 yds is a long shot with a hand gun but even the misses were close enough that if it was a ner'do'well we were shooting at he'd have been ducking for cover.

Today was a "working" range day. I had a couple new to me guns and some test loads to shoot. I shot 380, 9, 357 Sig and 45 acp with the Lehigh Extreme Defense bullets. The 380 and 45 was shot in 1911's, the 9 was shot in a CZ p10-M and the 357 Sig was shot in a Sig P-229. Once the work was done I broke out the CZ Shadow 2, a Glock 22 and 32 as well as my Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Mag for a paper punching good time. All told I was on the range for about 21/2 hours and had the place to myself until the last half hour.

I spent a couple hours at the range yesterday. I started in a pistol bay with the Taurus PT845, and then shot the Glock 32. I then shot the Rock Island ultra Rock and Tisias Devil Ray. The Taurus as compared to the 1911's is rough as a cob but shoots self defense accurate. By that I mean all the shots in a paper plate at 10 paces. I think the Taurus has become trading stock. For 45acp I just like 1911's as it should be. All hail JMB. For a self defense carry piece, the 12 shot Taurus doesn't do anything better than my 15 shot 40 S&W Glock 22. For the Glock 32 in 357 Sig and the two 1911's in 45 acp I moved the targets out to 20 yards. I'm running low on the 357 Sig ammo but will be making more in the next couple weeks. I even have a batch of the 118gr Lehigh Extreme Defense to load up and test so that will be fun. I really like this caliber. It is very fast and accurate but not a lot of recoil. On a gray day there is noticeable muzzle flash. But I have to say that's kind of fun anyway. On to the 1911's. My Rock Island is just a work horse. It's my bowling pin gun and has been my go to 1911 for quite a while now. I'd never shot a handgun before Navy boot camp so my first was a 1911. That was 1975. Just feels familiar like an old friends handshake and I shoot it well. The Tisias is a Bobtailed Carry model with full sized grip but a shorter barrel. A little shorter and curvier but very familiar and comfortable in the hand. Like the time I hugged my High School sweetheart after 45 years of not seeing her. Yep, 1911's make wax nostalgic. It's easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest but once in a while it's good to slow down a bit and enjoy a couple old friends. Oh, and the Tisias shot every bit as good as the full size. It's got a nice crisp about 4 lb trigger with the short reset single actions are known for.
After the pistol shooting I moved up to the rifle range to shoot the bench mark loads for my Savage 25-06 and Browning 300 Win Mag. I had 5 rounds of each bullet weight, 3 for the 25-06 and 2 for the 300 so I shot the 5 rounds of the 25-05 the 5 of the 300. Wash rinse and repeat. The goal here was not to find the ultimate load, but to make a repeatable reference point and that's what I got. All loads fed out of the magazine and shot ok but not into a 1 hole clover leaf like I'd like. Still and all rifles are different than pistols and it was good to shoot them for a change. Something I'd been meaning to do for awhile. Now with the benchmarks I can work on each gun individually to find their Goldilocks loads. 2 thumbs up for a Gun Day Fun Day.

Last Sunday I made a special trip to shoot a few rounds out of one gun I just bought. Any other day of the year I would have gone to the family place and shot at our primitive range, but my nephew was up there for second season archery, so I drove on past and up to a local shooting area. It was kind of a crappy day and I figgered there would be few others venturing out. That was wrong...
This shooting spot has a couple of places to shoot. One is where there used to be a gravel pile right off of the main road. That's also the double murder spot from a few years back. There were a few trucks there. The second is down the road a ways and is an old rock pit. The road is not in good shape with washouts running down the road and several big, fairly deep (1.5') waterholes. There were a couple of trucks parked at the main pit, so I shot at the small gravel pile on the way in. Didn't shoot one whole box of ammo thru both 357s, and about 1/2 a box thru a little 380 I brought along that had never been shot.
At 15-20' the 380 was soup can accurate and ran like a clock. Not a comfortable little bugger to shoot, but that was mostly due to sharp edges that can be smoothed out.
I shot the 686 at lengthening distances at the same tin cans and at about 20 yards I noticed it was shooting a little off to the left. Not having a little screwdriver with me to move the sight, I used a little Kentucky Windage and continued to drill the cans in DA. Then I pulled out my J-Frame 357 and blasted the cans a bit more. I only shot the little 357 DA at the longer distances and was surprised to find that it seemed to kick less than the 686. Part of that I believe is the grips on the 686 are a little large and I don't have quite the hold on the gun as I do with the 60. The other part I believe is due to the barrel being lower in the hand on the 60 than on the 686.
Over an hour both ways to shoot for about 30 minutes of shooting. I was also driving my old 4x4 that I hadn't driven for a couple of months. Got to lock the hubs and crawl around in the rain. Not a bad day at all.

357 x 2.jpg

Went to Tritac's range today to take out a few newly acquired pistols: S&W m&p 2.0 5", glock 17 and hellcat. All 9mm pistols.

Gotta say I really enjoy shooting the m&p. The trigger is like a 2 stage which is nice. Able to hit center of mass shots out at 20 yards, with my eyes ill take it. Actually seemed to get better shots at 20yrds vs 15yrds, not sure why that was lol.

The g17 wasn't too shabby either but I definitely prefer the m&p's trigger.

The hellcat is what one would expect from a 3" micro, snappy but good out to 10yrds. Prefer my 365xl for sure but I'd be comfortable carrying the hellcat.

Also shot the mark iv 22/45 and man I just can't shoot that bad mammer jammer for spit. I can group the shots together but I aim dead middle and hit up and to the left. I'm sure it's my technique, or lack there of, but I still enjoy shooting the pistol. Might have to get a red dot and see if that helps.

All in all a fun hour of shooting.

Also shot the mark iv 22/45 and man I just can't shoot that bad mammer jammer for spit. I can group the shots together but I aim dead middle and hit up and to the left. I'm sure it's my technique, or lack there of, but I still enjoy shooting the pistol. Might have to get a red dot and see if that helps.
There could be some technique involved, but first I would move the rear sight to the right a hair. After that, try the 6 O'clock hold.
Personally, I prefer the dead center hold, but if the gun says...

There could be some technique involved, but first I would move the rear sight to the right a hair. After that, try the 6 O'clock hold.
Personally, I prefer the dead center hold, but if the gun says...
I was thinking I might need to adjust that rear sight. I tried dead center and 6 o'clock and I think the 6 was a little closer but I couldn't repeat it well enough to be definitive yet. Next outing I'll have better data.

Went to Tritac's range today to take out a few newly acquired pistols: S&W m&p 2.0 5", glock 17 and hellcat. All 9mm pistols.

Gotta say I really enjoy shooting the m&p. The trigger is like a 2 stage which is nice. Able to hit center of mass shots out at 20 yards, with my eyes ill take it. Actually seemed to get better shots at 20yrds vs 15yrds, not sure why that was lol.

The g17 wasn't too shabby either but I definitely prefer the m&p's trigger.

The hellcat is what one would expect from a 3" micro, snappy but good out to 10yrds. Prefer my 365xl for sure but I'd be comfortable carrying the hellcat.

All in all a fun hour of shooting.
Good for you for getting out to shoot :)

My first gun was a m2.0 4.25" and to this day is still my favorite with the best trigger, most accurate and easy to shoot. I carry the hellcat pro and the hellcat OG just collects dust in the safe, I won't get rid of it because of hashtag effjayinsleedotcomdot eatmy sack.
Hellcat pro's okay but probably would like a 365xl.

I was ringing the 2" gong at 200 yds every shot.
I realize that your post with the above quote is almost a year old. But I just read it and of everything you wrote about your outing - consistently pinging a 2" gong at 200 yards with .223 HANDLOADS - was pretty damned impressive. 👍

Yesterday was another Gun Day, Fun Day. Normally I'll take a bunch of guns but this time I decided to just bring my CZ Shadow 2 9mm. I'm a self professed not a 9mm fan preferring other larger calibers for self defense or woods carry. I've had and shot several polymer 9mm's but just haven't warmed up to them. I traded into the CZ a few months ago and had shot it a couple times but not much. Maybe 50 rounds total. I wasn't sure what I had so looked at some on-line reviews and realized I have a full on race gun that if I shoot it in competition I have to shoot in the unlimited class. No starting at the bottom and working thru the classes, top class only. This is because it's a SAO model, something that attracted me to it being a 1911 fanboy. I decided if I have that good of a gun I should endeavor to be that good with it.
So yesterday I paced off 25 paces rather than the usual 10 and started shooting and soon realized I was hitting high. After adjusting the sight I was able to keep all the shots in a paper plate shooting a mix of over-run ammo. Man this gun is fast with the SAO trigger and heavy all steel frame I had to be careful of un-entended double taps. Not to worry however with no muzzle flip they were right in there anyways. Just a little quicker that I wanted. All told I shot about 250 rounds with no problems and the next time I make a run of 9mm ammo I'll be sure to make extra so I have a bunch of same lot ammo for this gun. As hungry as this gun is I'm thinking 5000 rounds is the right amount to have on hand. Over all a good day with a fun gun and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. To paraphrase Mick Jagger "it's only a 9mm but I like it".

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top