JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shot a buddies ?Springfield 9mm 1911 a few times. Very pleasant, very accurate. & oddly short on ammo compared to double stackers. Wasn't suddenly moved to have to track one down. Yet.

Last Edited:
I run a Para Ordnance Warthawg compact double stack in 9 mm, runs just fine, never had any issues with it!

Word of advice, many of the compact 1911's tend to over run the slide if not properly tuned at the factory, so if you get one, ( Especially a 9 mm) you may need a good Smith to sort it out if you don't want to send it back to the factory! :(

Planning on one soon when I either find a good used one (open to brand) and if not I have already looked at and handled a RIA full size at my LGS.

Never shot one but I am a long term 1911 .45 owner so the transition will be easy.

I had an 'epiphany' in the realization I do not want to shoot any semis other than a 1911.
A large part of it is the trigger which can be made to equate that of a DA revolver however the RIA I handled was great off the rack and would no doubt be better with an initial cleaning & lube.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my CZ 75 BD and it is as accurate as heII but the trigger pull is a little long (however after the creep its pretty nice) but I don't want to digress. I simply like the 1911 platform, the way they fit my hand and how they shoot.

I just bought @Sellingmyguns P14.45... It's nice!!! Nice guy too... Thx Gary!

I want to get back into shooting 2011s for IDPA and will be keeping my glass eye out for a P18 for a reasonable price. Problem for me is that I have bad arth in my thumbs and the manual safety is hard to reach. But the SA trigger is soooooo worth it!!!

If a feller is handy with his hands and has or gets the tools to build, a 2011 Double Stack can be built for FAR less then the asking price of a used one, and once you get a few builds under your belt, it's addictive as hell! You find you want more and more of them in various configurations and finishes! I have built 11 1911's so far, 6 of them the 2011 series double stacks and One Caspian Double Stack, simply amazing pieces!

If a feller is handy with his hands and has or gets the tools to build, a 2011 Double Stack can be built for FAR less then the asking price of a used one, and once you get a few builds under your belt, it's addictive as hell! You find you want more and more of them in various configurations and finishes! I have built 11 1911's so far, 6 of them the 2011 series double stacks and One Caspian Double Stack, simply amazing pieces!

What kind of price you talkin for me to build a 2011 in 9mm. I've seen blank Para lowers, but the slides and barrels seemed kinda spendy. I can buy a used P18 for around $700-$800.

Caspian sounds like a pipe dream to me.

You any good at 2011 trigger work? I gotta take out some pre-travel and over-travel. Or do you have @Velzey do that part of it?

What kind of price you talkin for me to build a 2011 in 9mm. I've seen blank Para lowers, but the slides and barrels seemed kinda spendy. I can buy a used P18 for around $700-$800.

Caspian sounds like a pipe dream to me.

You any good at 2011 trigger work? I gotta take out some pre-travel and over-travel. Or do you have @Velzey do that part of it?
If you save your pennies and hit the sales most sellers do, a guy can piece it all together for about a grand!
Used to be able to get the Colt Pattern 5 inch slides from SARCO, and frames I usually get from CK, and the rest from Fusion, Ed Brown, Knight Hawk, and others! Once in a while, both Caspian and Fusion do sales on their slides, and those are what I like to run! Both Brownells and Midway sell thr STI slides at times, and they do go on sale now and then, just need to watch for the sales! Speed shooters supply is also a good source, but they can be spendy!

IMHO.....it's too big and heavy for a single stack 9mm pistol. But because it's big and heavy.....recoil is like dealing with a "pussy cat".

Colt-1911-9mm-001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS....IMHO.....Speaking of full-sized holster carry 9mm.:D

Vigilante.jpg

Last Edited:

I believe I saw Caspian is having a sale right now...

As far as shooting 1911s in 9, I've put several hundred rounds thru a friend's Dan Wesson PM-9 and it is a joy to shoot. It hasn't converted me from 45 by any stretch of the imagination, but I would love to find a nice government size to plink with at the range and for letting women and children shoot a 1911 (which I believe is why the germans invented the 9 :cool:).

If a feller is handy with his hands and has or gets the tools to build, a 2011 Double Stack can be built for FAR less then the asking price of a used one, and once you get a few builds under your belt, it's addictive as hell! You find you want more and more of them in various configurations and finishes!
Hey don't tempt me to turn my AMT Hardballer into 2011 longslide ;)

Just to inspire a little! :s0116:
This is how the addiction starts, and once your hooked, you will be hooked forever!

What you're missing is as close to a recoilless pistol as I've shot, .22s excluded. 10rd mags mean you get 5 mags to a box, so no weird partial loads of you just want to shoot a single box. I paid about $400 for my RIA model. It's a fun range toy

I switched to a 9mm 1911 due to age/arthritis and just love it. I can now go to the range and shoot 100-150 rounds without a lot of pain.

Even though I reload, I can get a much softer, reliable load in 9mm than in 45acp.

But, if it weren't for my physical limitations I would have stayed with 45 - bigger holes are better holes :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top