JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I needed another striker-fired 9mm pistol with polymer frame like I need gout in my kneecaps. However, I picked one up after fondling it at my LGS due to the good ergonomics and cool set of features. I disliked the XD so I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the Echelon felt. After 500 rounds fired (not much I know), I have decided it just might be my favorite striker pistol. My first impressions:

Shooting Characteristics: less flippy than my PDP, shoots flat. Height over bore is very good. I had one stovepipe within the first 20 rounds, but the following 480 were flawless with standard plinking ammo. It stayed remarkably clean, too.

Frame/Grip: better than almost any stock handgun I've owned, no slipping like with my PDP or P30SK. Definitely better than a Glock Gen5. You can also order grip frames with even more aggressive texturing. The included backstraps are solid and fit snugly, but the only one without a Glock "hump" is the small. I have large hands but that backstrap works well. The COG system is just as nice as the Sig FCU system and it seems Springfield is fully supporting it with other frame sizes readily available. The gas pedals are nice, but the textured takedown lever also makes for a nice gas pedal since I don't ride the grip incredibly high. Loaded chamber indicator could be more noticeable, but that's nitpicking.

Mags: nice stainless mags (2 included, 17 and 20 rounds) with a somewhat sloppy finish. One 20-round extension was included, so I converted the 17 round magazine immediately. The base plates did not budge... some are installing the extension improperly, it seems, which causes the spring to fly out unexpectedly. Reading directions helps.

Slide: the slide serrations are super grippy and the "ears" are great, but a little slippery compared to the ears on the VP9. The machining is flawless and fitment to the frame is good... not a baby rattle like my PDP. The cover for the optic mounting surface is nicely matched to the slide and isn't plastic.

Controls: the ambi controls don't pinch or hinder operation (unlike the Masada, that ambi mag release was annoying). The slide catches are small and a bit difficult to engage at first but I got used to them quickly.

Trigger: it reminds me of the P365 which I enjoy. Squishy with a decent wall and good reset. Not too heavy, but not too light for a defensive weapon (looking at you again, PDP). Trigger safety doesn't pinch even though I use a "knuckle squeeze" with striker pistols

Sights: I have the U rear with fiberoptic and tritium front. It's probably my favorite sight type, I've never liked 3-dot or blacked out rear. They're steel and haven't budged. It's nice not having to replace stock sights for once (cough *Glock* cough). They're also high enough for use with most red dots unless you have optics that require a special plate (Acro, 509t, etc).

Optic Mounting: the VIS system is what makes the Echelon special, even though it seems solid in every other way as well. The majority of optics on the market will not require a mounting plate which in turn means saving money and limiting frustration. Three pin sets are included and the manual clearly indicates what to use and where. I've always hated optic plates (another potential failure point) and never knowing if and when they'll be available (and at what price). No plate means that most optics will not require higher iron sights... another cost saver. The only annoying thing is that some optics require shorter screws than what are provided by the optic manufacturer, but most work with OEM screws (thanks Trijicon for finally including 3/8" screws, took you long enough). My optic stayed nice and snug throughout the 500 rounds fired, I suspect it'll stay put.

So, am I glad I bit the bullet and bought one? Yes. Do I recommend that you try one out? Definitely. Is it the greatest pistol ever made? Likely not, and it hasn't been out long enough for any teething problems to emerge. However, being produced by HS Produkt I have little doubt that it's durable and will remain reliable. It also seems that Springfield fully intends to support it well into the future, and most accessories are readily available.

Last Edited:
good review any additional range trips yet? I'm hoping for a shorter grip module for these. I love the 4.5 barrel but would like a 4.5 height for CC.

good review any additional range trips yet? I'm hoping for a shorter grip module for these. I love the 4.5 barrel but would like a 4.5 height for CC.
I've put another few boxes through it after mounting an RMR. The optic hasn't budged and I'm getting used to the grip angle (I was a Glock guy for years). No issues to note, boringly reliable.

I ordered a threaded barrel using the 15% discount you get with the handgun, we shall see how it runs suppressed.

~2000 round update: no issues to note, runs suppressed really nicely. Trigger has turned to butter (around 10,000 pulls total when including dry fire).

20240416_011057.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top