JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We picked up this Springfield Ronin in 9mm awhile ago. You don't get a full length guide rod. Can't figure that one out? Anyway a quick search didn't turn up anything for buying a full length guide rod. Anyone here bought one of these from the cheap bastiges and found a real guide-rod for it? Are they going to be the same as a .45 1911?

Are you looking to get more accuracy by the installation?

Cause......IF your 9mm is anything like my Colt 1911a1 Series 70.......well, I'd be guessing that with the installation of a guide rod (and nothing else) it will still be a LONG way to getting what I'd expect (accuracy wise).

For ME......I decided that my Colt 9mm M1911a1 should be "stock". That way it's easier to field strip.

Aloha, Mark

It's not uncommon to NOT have a Full Length Guide Rod, especially given the extra expense, and a lot of folks actually DON'T want it for ease of take down.
As to adding one, should be pretty simple, match the new rod and bushing to the slide length, function check it a bunch to make sure your clearances are good, and you should be ready to rock and roll!

I Prefer the full length rods on my 1911's and they work with both Bushing and Bull Barrel guns quite well, I have never had to swap a gun over to take a full length rod, but I know several folks who have! These days, most of mine actually take the two piece double bushing rod with two springs ( Kimber/Colt Style) and that really works wonders, I would highly recommend that set up for the 9 mm 1911's out there, given it's a high pressure load!

I've only had the thing down once, for the first before firing cleaning. It felt like the SPRING, wanted to bind up on the way into the end of that short guide rod. And piss me of, I "Idiot marked" it. :mad::mad::mad: Nothing to do with the guide rod. Pretty disgusted with myself over that. Only have one other 1911 and don't have that one apart much. I've got to pull that 9mm down and clean it after It's first run of 100. Maybe that shorty guide rod isn't that big a deal?

No need in my opinion for a full length guide rod. The barrel is technically the true guide rod for the action. The little one is just so the spring don't kink up. I'd imagine 9mms have a much lighter spring than 45s so perhaps it doesn't need much of a guide? No idea what the differences would be but I've had 1911s in the past that had one or the other and never did I notice a difference between the two.

I've only had the thing down once, for the first before firing cleaning. It felt like the SPRING, wanted to bind up on the way into the end of that short guide rod. And piss me of, I "Idiot marked" it. :mad::mad::mad: Nothing to do with the guide rod. Pretty disgusted with myself over that. Only have one other 1911 and don't have that one apart much. I've got to pull that 9mm down and clean it after It's first run of 100. Maybe that shorty guide rod isn't that big a deal?
How is the accuracy? Assuming its as good as you expect or even if its not, I VERY much doubt the FLGR would make a difference you could see. If its suffering from feeding problems? Then one "might" help but, even that is not likely the fix. So unless you want to swap top ends on it at times probably no real up side to a FLGR. Of the 2 1911's I still have one has this set up. The only reason I liked it when I got it was at the time I had a conversion to use a carbine upper on a 1911 frame. So when I shot that I of course always took along the one I could just take off the upper in one piece. Since I no longer have the conversion I think about buying the parts to change that one every time I have to clean it. Far easier to clean one that does not have that thing in.
As for the "idiot scratch" I used to long ago take GREAT pains to not do this. I finally stopped bothering to try real hard. Of course both of mine now are stainless so it shows far less and if I ever wanted to fix it, far easier to do so. On pistols with any kind of dark finish it does stand out. If I ever buy another one that is like that and scratch it? Will just let it go as not really into them staying pretty anyway. One nice thing about both of mine being decades old with lots of carry time. Don't need to worry about little stuff :D

a friend of mine says that people that buy 1911;s in 9mm are kinda like people that want a fast car but settle for a Ford! lol
You must mean a Ford 500 GT…

BBA755CA-6953-45F3-9BBF-15706C5CB045.jpeg

a friend of mine says that people that buy 1911;s in 9mm are kinda like people that want a fast car but settle for a Ford! lol
I have a Ronin 9mm and drive Chevys thank you very much. But I wouldn't turn down a GT40 if you are offering one. :cool:

I've only had a few range days with it and not finding the guide rod an issue for me. What was kinda strange was the scribble markings on the center of the bottom of the slide. It's like something is kinda, sorta engraved but it slightly hangs up when you manipulate the slide at a slow speed. I called Springfield and they said this was normal. Why??? It's not normal for Colt or Kimber I can tell you that.

I have to concur, I've only put a few hundred rounds through the 9mm Ronin, but no issues with the factory system. Although I can see a flgr adding to the consistency of spring compression. With the tradeoff of added work necessary for takedown. Been looking at one myself, but haven't convinced myself it's worth the time or investment. Aside from aesthetics of course…

26yrs of running several 1911s with and without a FLGR and Ive never felt any difference or improvement in anything. And as far as captivating the spring, there's no difference between captivating it on the outside (recoil plug ) and the inside (guide rod). There's only about a 3/4" gap of spring thats unsupported between the spring plug and the short govt (original) guide rod that quickly becomes captivated on both sides under recoil same as a FLGR, there is no way to feel the difference in a 3/4" of recoil travel between the two designs that Ive ever felt and my guess is there is no kinking or binding of that area of the spring as it compresses. There are no advantages to the FLGR in production/self defense 1911s.

On the flip side, there is only 1 disadvantage and thats field stripping is a pita. If you must insist, Wilson Combat makes a 1pc FLGR that is cut just the right length that does not need any tools to field strip once you learn how. The open ended plug leaves a nice sharp ring on your thumbprint.

1681531640305.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA