JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With a budget of $1,500 give or take, what are some of the better options in 2024 for a 10mm 1911?
Not particularly concerned with capacity like I am with a 9mm although a case could be made for higher cap.
I need a "take it into the woods" gun.
I want something that's of very good quality but not of the highest level ie. Nighthawk, Wilson, etc. where I'm going to feel it in my wallet and be afraid to get a scratch on it.

Been looking at:
Kimber
Dan Wesson
Springfield

Anything else in 10mm I should consider? Any I should avoid?

Dan Wesson Bruin
Colt Delta

Dan Wesson, hands down.

If not totally married to a 1911, but want a single stack, look at the P220 SAO 5".
I had a Colt Government in .45 ACP that I really enjoyed. It was the only non-9mm gun I've owned but I never shot it much. 1911s just fit my hand well in general. I know 2011s are the rage these days with added capacity but for a woods gun I don't think capacity is as important.

This one did intrigue me though, new release for 2024... It's also relatively inexpensive so I wouldn't be afraid to get the knicks and scratches in the finish.

I really like the Dan Wesson but it is stretching the budget a bit. I'd have to sell off some more stuff to get that level of gun. I'd also want to baby it.

Rock Island Double Stacks, mil spec and quality, 16+1 capacity, easy to get and it's a mil spec 1911, so upgrades are pretty simple! Don't turn your nose up at the Rock Islands, they are just as good as American made stuff like S&W, Ruger, Remington, and such, not to far off of Colt or Kimber! They use the Para Ordinance frame and parts, have a double recoil spring system and are bomb proof reliable, and super accurate, and can handle Max power loads with ease!

1708638920667.png

I had a Colt Government in .45 ACP that I really enjoyed. It was the only non-9mm gun I've owned but I never shot it much. 1911s just fit my hand well in general. I know 2011s are the rage these days with added capacity but for a woods gun I don't think capacity is as important.

This one did intrigue me though, new release for 2024... It's also relatively inexpensive so I wouldn't be afraid to get the knicks and scratches in the finish.

I really like the Dan Wesson but it is stretching the budget a bit. I'd have to sell off some more stuff to get that level of gun. I'd also want to baby it.
Sorry, meant razorback. Buy once. Cry once. Or in my situation, cry a lot because I keep buying :s0140:

Rock Island Double Stacks, mil spec and quality, 16+1 capacity, easy to get and it's a mil spec 1911, so upgrades are pretty simple! Don't turn your nose up at the Rock Islands, they are just as good as American made stuff like S&W, Ruger, Remington, and such, not to far off of Colt or Kimber! They use the Para Ordinance frame and parts, have a double recoil spring system and are bomb proof reliable, and super accurate, and can handle Max power loads with ease!
Yes these have been in the market awhile and I've not heard anything really bad about them. Seems that most people who sell them are only looking to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Yes these have been in the market awhile and I've not heard anything really bad about them. Seems that most people who sell them are only looking to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.
Funny, I have built 11 2011's and all shoot super, but all are too nice to carry daily, the Rock isn't really a step down, but I don't worry about it getting holster rash or worse, getting taken as evidence if I had to use it on 2 legged deer!

Wanted the Dan Wesson, but bought the Springfield Ronin late last year. So far, I have liked it, but only fired it maybe 100 rounds. I have a Pointman 9 that is a great gun; was eying the Razorback, but I just couldn't convince myself to spend $1,500 when I got the Springfield for a little under half that amount.

Funny, I have built 11 2011's and all shoot super, but all are too nice to carry daily, the Rock isn't really a step down, but I don't worry about it getting holster rash or worse, getting taken as evidence if I had to use it on 2 legged deer!
We think a lot alike in this regard!

Wanted the Dan Wesson, but bought the Springfield Ronin late last year. So far, I have liked it, but only fired it maybe 100 rounds. I have a Pointman 9 that is a great gun; was eying the Razorback, but I just couldn't convince myself to spend $1,500 when I got the Springfield for a little under half that amount.
I forgot about the Springfield Ronin. I looked at one in a shop a while ago and It looked like well put together gun.

I forgot about the Springfield Ronin. I looked at one in a shop a while ago and It looked like well put together gun.
It's not the Dan Wesson, for sure, when you are examining it closely or handling them side by side. But when you consider that you could essentially buy two of them for the cost of one Dan Wesson, and the fit, finish, and function is pretty darn good, it seemed like it was a decent option to me. If I could have found the DW for $1200 or so (I searched for a couple years), I would have coughed up the extra cash. But I wouldn't do double…

Last Edited:
I have no experience with the brand but, lately I have been reading lots of reviews about Tisas. Seem to be very well built and some are putting them in their daily rotations. I like the looks of this one and it would leave plenty of room for ammo purchases with you budget.

I bought the DW razorback a few months ago. Its a great gun. Pretty much all DW's are. But if i had to do it all over again, i'd spend the extra few hundred for the bruin. Only in hopes the longer barrel might reduce the kick a bit.

My mind tells me I'm younger, but my body thinks my mind is an idiot

How about some good "ok" quality ones for less? What are the options? What about this Girsan 10mm?

473B6747-8FFA-4D36-AFFF-F9248316A0F3.jpeg
A couple other less expensive ones. I don't know much about them but I'm curious.
B0648B34-E0F0-4F51-AE5F-611E22665A24.jpeg
4C004B4E-6A40-471C-9E51-E21BB6EB5C60.jpeg

Last Edited:

View attachment 1828497
I have that same gun. I've ran about 500 round threw it, I'm very impressed

I have no experience with the brand but, lately I have been reading lots of reviews about Tisas. Seem to be very well built and some are putting them in their daily rotations. I like the looks of this one and it would leave plenty of room for ammo purchases with you budget.

Those look nice. But I won't lie, the safety recall notice is a bit unsettling.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads