JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It felt like the SPRING, wanted to bind up on the way into the end of that short guide rod. And piss me of, I "Idiot marked" it.
Put the closed end of the spring on the guide rod, its supposed to fit a bit tight. If your frame is stainless you can buff out the idiot mark with scotchbrite and then 0000 steel wool. The Ronins are nice 1911s.

Got a Springfield a few years ago .
Thanks to the COVID.
They sent me a check.so I bought a gun.

MVIMG_20200423_125418.jpg

I resisted a 1911 in 9mm just as I did jumping on the 6.5c bandwagon and now super glad to join the outcasts . I do not drive Subaru or have a man bun or smell like patchouli I just smell like diesel and coffee !

I recently read on a gun parts website some people complaining a certain brand of chrome silicon Govt length 1911 spring was binding. The reviewers didn't provide info on caliber or gun make, and I assume they weren't using FLGRs. But those couple of negative reviewers could have installed the spring the wrong way. If you don't go the FLGR route, you might see if the Wilson Combat 9mm flat wire spring kit would be an option.

How is the accuracy? Assuming its as good as you expect or even if its not, I VERY much doubt the FLGR would make a difference you could see. If its suffering from feeding problems? Then one "might" help but, even that is not likely the fix. So unless you want to swap top ends on it at times probably no real up side to a FLGR. Of the 2 1911's I still have one has this set up. The only reason I liked it when I got it was at the time I had a conversion to use a carbine upper on a 1911 frame. So when I shot that I of course always took along the one I could just take off the upper in one piece. Since I no longer have the conversion I think about buying the parts to change that one every time I have to clean it. Far easier to clean one that does not have that thing in.
As for the "idiot scratch" I used to long ago take GREAT pains to not do this. I finally stopped bothering to try real hard. Of course both of mine now are stainless so it shows far less and if I ever wanted to fix it, far easier to do so. On pistols with any kind of dark finish it does stand out. If I ever buy another one that is like that and scratch it? Will just let it go as not really into them staying pretty anyway. One nice thing about both of mine being decades old with lots of carry time. Don't need to worry about little stuff :D
Accuracy...not really sure. It would appear that I forgot how to shoot hand gun. Have shot nothing but rifles at distance at the range for too long. And some practice at 7 yards or so with the carry gun shooting for center mass. I lost that muscle memory I guess.30'-40' at steel was difficult. I should do some dry firing around the house.
No feeding problems what so ever. I only shot my re-loads in it.
i guess having only ONE 1911 I figured a full length guide rod was how they're supposed to be. and the makers put the shorty in there to save money. Because of that it figures the FLGR has to be better, right? :D Not so from what I'm reading.

a friend of mine says that people that buy 1911;s in 9mm are kinda like people that want a fast car but settle for a Ford! lol
LOL Wifey commented when I got my Kimber 1911, 45acp those years ago how much she liked the feel of it. And she enjoyed shooting it some. The recoil was more than she liked though. The 9mm is easier to rack, and softer shooting. I'm a recoil puss too, though .45 is no issue for me.
Once you get peripheral neuropathy in your hands, the 9mm is a kinder, gentler gun than the .45 ACP and 10mm. And safer.
That is why a 9mm 1911 is a great thing!

So @Mikej curious if your gonna keep the original or buy a FLGR?
Probably not considering the excellent input here. Though I didn't find out if there was a reasonably price rod that just drops in.

Accuracy...not really sure. It would appear that I forgot how to shoot hand gun. Have shot nothing but rifles at distance at the range for too long. And some practice at 7 yards or so with the carry gun shooting for center mass. I lost that muscle memory I guess.30'-40' at steel was difficult. I should do some dry firing around the house.
i guess having only ONE 1911 I figured a full length guide rod was how they're supposed to be. and the makers put the shorty in there to save money. Because of that it figures the FLGR has to be better, right? :D Not so from what I'm reading.

LOL Wifey commented when I got my Kimber 1911, 45acp those years ago how much she liked the feel of it. And she enjoyed shooting it some. The recoil was more than she liked though. The 9mm is easier to rack, and softer shooting. I'm a recoil puss too, though .45 is no issue for me.

Probably not considering the excellent input here. Though I didn't find out if there was a reasonably price rod that just drops in.
Wilson makes a FLGR you can get for about $40 or so online. Jim Clark says stay away from guiderods, that's good enough for me.

Fun story, Yup... been there myself perhaps my first lesson in shooting guns about 27yrs ago bought a new Colt Commander and without even learning to shoot it bought a Korns recoil "reduction" system to be tacticool.
Put that in and it was a jam-o-matic is what it should have been called. Put the original short GI guide rod and spring back in and that pistol has never jammed since and is one of my most reliable pistols.

I still have that Korns thing, not certain what to do with it.
1681575016434.png

Sounds great so far then. Being 9mm far cheaper to play with if you don't want to roll. Get some cheap ball ammo and the practice will be fun while you get back on track. With a defensive use hand gun 40' is not something many can do well so I would not be disappointed since sounds like its been a while. Play at 20 ft for a while and then move back. It will soon be easier. Sounds like a great little pistol!

Now that's the kind of video I like to watch! No nonsense/advertising, straight to the point and short! Though not really an answer to the query. I WAS under the impression the FLGR "MIGHT" ease reassembly, and perhaps create less wear on parts.

Saint JMB didn't feel the need to have one, so it's unnecessary.

Last Edited:
Wilson makes a FLGR you can get for about $40 or so online. Jim Clark says stay away from guiderods, that's good enough for me.
Are the same guide rods used in both 9mm and .45acp 1911s? Needs to come with a bushing too.
Not worth $45.00 to me after reading responses .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top