JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Must be nice to have nothing else to worry about in life besides providing proof you're old enough to by a product. Their system just requires them to insert a date. Dont take it out on the minimum wage person just following the rules.

If you think they're tracking what ammo you buy then make sure you watch for the black helicopter waiting for you above the parking lot.

A sheeple exhibit :)

Must be nice to have nothing else to worry about in life besides providing proof you're old enough to by a product. Their system just requires them to insert a date. Dont take it out on the minimum wage person just following the rules.

If you think they're tracking what ammo you buy then make sure you watch for the black helicopter waiting for you above the parking lot.

Checking ID discriminates against low-income citizens...wait, that's just for voting...nevermind...

"Baaaah!"

:s0140: I am not "worried" about rude behavior, its common. I just won't pay for it to happen to me.

You guys can complain about being carded at 50 all you want the truth is they usually card everyone because some azzhat will sue them for whatever they can claiming discrimination.

Besides look at greg oden that guy was 19 and looked 50!

Instead of hassling an old customer they can put a dummy date there. That would make more sense.
It is called common sense.
Most kids can't do basic math well enough to figure that out.
Bimart is the same way they are supposed to put a dob in the computer.
Its probably also to establish a habit of checking EVERYTIME. Not just the people that may be under 18/21

You guys can complain about being carded at 50 all you want the truth is they usually card everyone because some azzhat will sue them for whatever they can claiming discrimination.

Besides look at greg oden that guy was 19 and looked 50!

:D So government harassment to buy ammo is good with you, I understand that. Is there a point when you will tire of the harassment? Its all about the crap we have to put up with.

A sheeple exhibit :)
Far from it. Obviously you can't judge a character by one forum post. But it's the law to be over 18 and their system requires a date of birth to complete the transaction. I'm just not the kind of A$$ Hat to give the poor cashier a hard time about following a store policy. I'm just saying you're better served to take it up with the stores corporate office or the law makers if you don't like it as opposed to making a fool out of yourself in the checkout line.

Far from it. Obviously you can't judge a character by one forum post. But it's the law to be over 18 and their system requires a date of birth to complete the transaction. I'm just not the kind of A$$ Hat to give the poor cashier a hard time about following a store policy. I'm just saying you're better served to take it up with the stores corporate office or the law makers if you don't like it as opposed to making a fool out of yourself in the checkout line.
If it's store policy why was I not carded at Bi-Mart on Saturday?

So anyone that disagrees with your "enlightened attitude" is an "A$$Hat"?
I'll take that under advisement when doing business with you in the future, because "Obviously" I CAN judge a character from one post,,,"A$$ Hat",, a winning combination if I ever saw one

B

You construe many things into people's posts. I never saw anyone here condoning taking anything out on cashiers.
I had a gripe with the play they pulled on established customers at Cabelas, and My complaint went straight to management and then to corporate. As foe Walmart, I laughed pointed at a sign that was up there and set the 6 pack aside and said to keep it, and went to Safeway.
Presumption is all in your corner.
Most of us never blame cashiers for management decisions. Maybe you think like that but I know I don't.

I have held both positions, top and bottom and all in between.
The source of policy, both intelligent and absolute ignorance is pretty well known by most..... LOL.
But.........Becoming a sheeple is not on the option list here

Wow, this is getting fun...

Can we agree that it's inappropriate to card 50 year-olds for ammo, tobacco and beer?

It's probably not right to hassle some kid over the store's policy either, but somebody's getting it, and I only have so much time. Show me to your boss or get an earful. :D

So anyone that disagrees with your "enlightened attitude" is an "A$$Hat"?
I'll take that under advisement when doing business with you in the future, because "Obviously" I CAN judge a character from one post,,,"A$$ Hat",, a winning combination if I ever saw one
Anyone can have a different opinion than me and that's not what makes them an A$$ Hat. Reread the post and you'll see I said treating the poor minimum-wage cashier badly because of a stores policy is being an A$$ Hat.

Does not matter to me. Cabelas ammo prices are on the high side compared to other local places. Unless they have a really good sale, I will be buying ammo elsewhere.

Well I cannot argue the point one way or another since I have NEVER been in a Cabela's but on the surface it always seemed like a 'white collar' sporting goods store from the ads, both TV and print. Kind of like an entry level department store for a, "Well last week I was a golfer and this week I am an outdoorsman" type of person. I was thinking of stopping at the Springfield store on my way through after picking up my new gun Friday before last but it was already after 8:00 PM and home was still two hours away!

Update...(and for the record, I didn't hassle anyone. I politely asked the 40-something guy at the Tualatin store if this was a new policy. He said yes. He was kind of a toad about it though).

Hit the Springfield Cabelas to look around. As luck would have it, they had a 300-round brick of CCI mini-mags. I had to have one.
Yes, I was violating my self-imposed rule of not buying from them, but I rationalized it by telling myself it would be a good test to see if it was indeed a Chain-Wide policy.
Sure enough, the very nice cashier (young lass this time) asked my for DOB, though did not demand my license like the other guy did in Tualatin.
I gave her my accurate birthdate and she dutifully typed it in. I asked if this was a new law or legislation, or merely a new store policy. She stated it was indeed store policy, recently enacted.
She then, without too much eye-rolling from me, said that she didn't like the policy, nor did most customers! Another cashier nearby was nodding in agreement.
I politely announced that it seemed very short-sighted, to institute a policy that immediately raises the hackles on a fair number of their customers. (Remember, fair number. If you aren't one, and are just dandy with more and more Big Brother oversight, great. Just don't ask me to walk that slippery slope with you).
They both agreed emphatically, and my young lass offered that, based on the number of complaints, she didn't think the policy would last long.
So it is what it is, and they have the right to do it, but we don't have to like it. Because I caved in and bought the CCIs, right now I'm part of the problem, not the solution.
But I swear I'll be better next time. Really.

Late last year I bought ammo at Cabelas in Boomtown/Reno, NV and they just looked at my DL while it was still in my wallet. I've also purchased ammo at Bass Pro Shop and Sportsmans Wharehouse in Rocklin, CA. Just showed my DL when asked. For a long time purchasing hand gun ammo in California required the seller to complete a paper log entry that you signed. That got dropped a number of years ago. But next year, we will have to get fingerprinted. background checked, get registered, pay a fee to receive an ammunition purchase id card. which will have to be renewed every year i believe. And you can't import ammo from another state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top