JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this at estate sale. Thought I'd put an Ought-6 round and projectile with it for affect! :D

I didn't know what it was at first and then figured it out. There are fine threads around the inside. The driving band shows it's been fired.
dimensions are.
3" opening and 8 3/8" long

1701043526636.png

75mm artillery shell that's missing the Scoville M1907 fuse body and interior assembly of 290 lead shrapnel balls.

WW1 era. Used with French, and US 75mm field guns of M1897 types.

Here is a photo of a complete one from the internet.
post-180924-0-67759900-1573509021.jpeg

Excellent, thanks guys. @CamoDeafie the top isn't tapered that much? Unless the fuse on that is 2-piece. From some of what I looked at I got the idea it was a shrapnel munition.
SCOVILL 1907 M (minus fuse)
That looks more like it!
1701048404050.png
That driving band, the rings below that band and the two holes nail it it I think.

WWI huh? Wow! Should we believe that it was a practice round? Seeing as it has been down a barrel.

75mm artillery shell that's missing the Scoville M1907 fuse body and interior assembly of 290 lead shrapnel balls.

WW1 era. Used with French, and US 75mm field guns of M1897 types.

Here is a photo of a complete one from the internet.
View attachment 1770408
Looking at it again, it's very similar but slightly different. No rings below the driving band. But then, I imagine that a different manufacturer may have made one in the exact dimensions needed with slightly different features? There are no markings on it, that I could see without going over it with a magnifying glass.

Any idea if it's worth anything? Someone else would appreciate it? that's the only reason I picked these things up. to get them to someone that would appreciate it, for a couple extra bucks in my pocket. hopefully?

Also picked up a steel casing from a 40mm BOFOR round.

Well. What's the outside diameter? That might help narrow it down. From the appearance of it, I want to say it's WW1 vintage but there weren't many different howitzer or field guns used on the French/British Allied side compared to the German/Central Powers side..

Found this at estate sale. Thought I'd put an Ought-6 round and projectile with it for affect! :D

I didn't know what it was at first and then figured it out. There are fine threads around the inside. The driving band shows it's been fired.
dimensions are.
3" opening and 8 3/8" long

View attachment 1770313
Take a look at this video. It has the groves yours does and no taper. Maybe this is the one or similar?

WWI huh? Wow! Should we believe that it was a practice round? Seeing as it has been down a barrel.
It could have become an UXO by having an improperly timed fuse, or a fuse that had not been set. But I am guessing, and I have no experience with any ordnance from that period.

As for price… No idea. But here is an example that is closer to complete, and it is listed as selling for $85.00

1701051331883.png

Last Edited:
Take a look at this video. It has the groves yours does and no taper. Maybe this is the one or similar?

The two grooves below the driving band are not present in the video. But I'd say that the similarities between the two says mine is a shrapnel bomb because of the fine threads at the top inside. I might take this to "The War Room" in Milwaukie and I bet they could ID it. I could also post this on "The Militaria" forum.

It could have become an UXO by having an improperly timed fuse, or a fuse that had not been set. But I am guessing, and I have no experience with any ordnance from that period.

As for price… No idea. But here is an example that is closer to complete, and it is listed as selling for $85.00

View attachment 1770446
I would think that with the timing mechanism missing it would be a fraction of that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top