JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just left the new Cabelas in Tualatin.
Purchased a box of ammo, and was surprised when I was asked for my Date of Birth.
I said to the cashier " dude, look at me " (over 50, with grey hair).
He told me they have a new policy that began yesterday, where a valid DOB needs to be entered for all ammo purchases. He actually asked me to take my ODL out of my wallet and hand it to him, so he could enter the DOB!
Not happy about this, I told him that I would not be buying any more ammo from them. He, of course, could not have cared less...
So just a Heads-Up for you all, Cabelas is gathering more and more data from us evil firearm owners...Buyer Beware!

That sucks... I guess they think they are covering their behinds ... But, yeah, if it was just to check age, why would he card a guy 50 something with grey hair?

I was going to ask if it was to waive sales tax being an Oregon resident, but it appears that was not the issue.

I'll bet you were wearing a light like this and he thought you were a miner.

U776I1381081218SEQ0.jpg

I went to a Super WalMart and a woman cashier wanted my ID, in frustration I showed her my DL she then ripped it out of my hand and tried to remove it from my wallet, I grabbed it back and walked out leaving several $100 in LTF on the conveyer belt.
WinCo was happy to take my money w/o the hassle

The 68 gun control act made us sign for pistol ammo when purchased. After a decade of millions of signatures and not one crime solved with the information they stopped the foolishness of signing for ammo. If Cabelas is taking up the foolish practice I will buy my ammo somewhere else.:D

Let me guess, you would get mad if they carded you for beer or tobacco also? These age laws are all around and have been in place for a long time.

As a matter of fact. I walked out of a Walmart for that very thing and left the beer and wine on the counter. I am 68.
The sign states that anyone that looks under 40 will be carded.
It is the Ignorance factor. If they are that dumb, then they should not be handling my food or beverages.
They and the rest of the idiots can screwthemsleves. Including Cabellas. They have an attitude there anyway.
And the BS they pulled on established members on the grand opening was pure BS.

Last Edited:
Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

So obviously the clerk was was being a Jerk to the old man. .

The 68 gun control act made us sign for pistol ammo when purchased. After a decade of millions of signatures and not one crime solved with the information they stopped the foolishness of signing for ammo. If Cabelas is taking up the foolish practice I will buy my ammo somewhere else.:D
Exactly. Their prices ain't great either, parking still sucks (the only day off I usually have is Sunday..so that doesn't help)..
That and 90% of the folks working there don't know a damn thing about firearms, ammo or what they even have on the shelves.
Worthless.

Let me guess, you would get mad if they carded you for beer or tobacco also? These age laws are all around and have been in place for a long time.

When you buy alcohol or tobacco, they don't enter your DOB into a database.
This isn't to appease some age law...one look at me and the cashier could easily tell I was 2 or 3 multiples of the legal age.
Nope, IMO it is a self-inflicted company policy, the point of which I don't pretend to understand. It's not smart business to further antagonize your customer base, who already feel that they are being targeted for extinction.
And for the record, I don't get mad.
I get even.

Wal-Mart policy is to card you for tobacco purchase no matter how old you appear. I am 65 and got carded.
My Step Mom got carded at Hooters when ordering a drink when we went there for lunch. She was 87 years old. She did not have her ID with her and the waitress said, company policy, she could not serve her. I called the manager over and he brought her drink to her. BiMart carded my 24 year old son when he was buying ammo. but then he looks like he is 16. Cabelas is just following a corporate policy on age restricted sales like many other companies. They probably got burned for selling someone underage ammo and the corporate office made a company wide policy. With all the anti's out there, they have to CYA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top