JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a meet set up at Cabelas, to purchase a scope from one of our fine members. It was a long drive for me, but had several Cabelas gift cards, so thought I'd take advantage of the black friday week sales. As expected, real deals were few, but while I was there I browsed the magazine aisle. Of course, I wasn't looking to purchase any standard capacity magazines, as bringing them home would be in violation of guv dimslee's edict. What I saw was only reduced capacity magazines. Nothing over 10 rds. 1 employee even suggested I visit a competitor just down the street. Is this the case at all Oregon cabelas, or just select stores? From what I saw, it seemed they'd caved to the gun control crowd. Disappointing, to be sure.

Cabelas quit selling standard capacity mags awhile ago.

Atleast in Oregon.

Cabela's hasn't been worth visiting in quite some time. Seems to be geared towards soccer moms and flatbills more than anything

Had a meet set up at Cabelas, to purchase a scope from one of our fine members. It was a long drive for me, but had several Cabelas gift cards, so thought I'd take advantage of the black friday week sales. As expected, real deals were few, but while I was there I browsed the magazine aisle. Of course, I wasn't looking to purchase any standard capacity magazines, as bringing them home would be in violation of guv dimslee's edict. What I saw was only reduced capacity magazines. Nothing over 10 rds. 1 employee even suggested I visit a competitor just down the street. Is this the case at all Oregon cabelas, or just select stores? From what I saw, it seemed they'd caved to the gun control crowd. Disappointing, to be sure.
If anything, it's a good time in history to see the culture differences between the various organizations.
Someone just reported that Sportsman's Warehouse had a good supply of standard capacity magazines on the racks.
Some on line retailers are starting to act "fraidy" as well.

I would like to offer caution to the torches and pitchforks against our own side. Cabella's has been a strong ally, with funding drives, donations and constant support for the shooting sports. Just because they do not want to pick a fight that they cannot win does not make them an enemy. We all pick our battles, and we will all make different choices on what those battles should be.

The legal issues on 114 were particularly prickly, because the law was on a judicial hold that could change at literally any moment. All it would take would be for a judge to say "hold is over" in some court session and suddenly 114 is in full effect again from that very moment. Any sales, any orders, anything on the shelf would suddenly be a violation even if the store had not heard the news yet. Technically this is still the case, as even though the law is struck down there are still appeals available, and if a judge takes one up and rules in the state's favor 114 will again quite suddenly become the law of the land. I do not blame anyone who does not want to wade into that legal minefield. I appreciate people who do more, and will certainly take that into consideration for my vendor priority list, but I am not going to stop doing business, not advocate for boycotts for anyone who was just trying to minimize legal risks.

Of course price considerations are another thing entirely. Cabella's still has to compete on price, and they seem somewhat disinclined to do so, probably because they still maintain a large brick-and-mortar footprint. If price is your primary concern there is little reason to go there unless you know they have a deal on.

Cabela's hasn't been worth visiting in quite some time. Seems to be geared towards soccer moms and flatbills more than anything
I guess it depends on what you are shopping for. As far as reloading supplies, I have found them much better than most retailers. If they sell an item they will price match many other retailers and then additionally provide free shipping on orders of $50 or more.
If hazardous material shipping fees are associated with the item (like primers or powder) I have it shipped to the store and pick it up in person avoiding the fee. The lowest price I have paid for an 8 pound container of gunpowder that I specifically wanted was at Cabelas because of their policies.

I would like to offer caution to the torches and pitchforks against our own side. Cabella's has been a strong ally, with funding drives, donations and constant support for the shooting sports. Just because they do not want to pick a fight that they cannot win does not make them an enemy. We all pick our battles, and we will all make different choices on what those battles should be.

The legal issues on 114 were particularly prickly, because the law was on a judicial hold that could change at literally any moment. All it would take would be for a judge to say "hold is over" in some court session and suddenly 114 is in full effect again from that very moment. Any sales, any orders, anything on the shelf would suddenly be a violation even if the store had not heard the news yet. Technically this is still the case, as even though the law is struck down there are still appeals available, and if a judge takes one up and rules in the state's favor 114 will again quite suddenly become the law of the land. I do not blame anyone who does not want to wade into that legal minefield. I appreciate people who do more, and will certainly take that into consideration for my vendor priority list, but I am not going to stop doing business, not advocate for boycotts for anyone who was just trying to minimize legal risks.

Of course price considerations are another thing entirely. Cabella's still has to compete on price, and they seem somewhat disinclined to do so, probably because they still maintain a large brick-and-mortar footprint. If price is your primary concern there is little reason to go there unless you know they have a deal on.
for hunting yes. Not sure about all 2A issues.

for hunting yes. Not sure about all 2A issues.
They are a direct partner with the NRA, so they do directly support pure 2A initiatives. I know we can purity test the NRA itself too, but that have a pretty decent track record of legislative results, even with all the baggage they have. I do not view most of those discussions as "either/or" however, but rather take a more "big tent" view. Support who is getting done what you want getting done, and support the other groups with whatever cooperation and encouragement you can. It's not like there can only be a set amount of people on the field at any one time. As long as we do not let differences in strategy or opinion get in the way of cooperation with those who share similar goals we can make significant progress. Or biggest problems occur when we "no true scottsman" our way into dividing ourselves into competing factions that no longer cooperate.

They are a direct partner with the NRA
That is largely a carryover from Richard Cabela, the founder, who was a very staunch 2A supporter.

The Bass Pro Shops run Cabela's of today is a shell of what they used to be.

Nobody who is paying attention confuses the modern Cablela's as an active 2A supporter. Yes, they sell guns and related items, but the example of restricting legal magazines in Oregon as well as not releasing after 10 days in WA are slaps in the faces of gun buyers.

Yes, it's their business and their right to do so, we don't need yet another lecture on that, but I wouldn't consider them a staunch ally when it comes to 2A support.

Just because they do not want to pick a fight that they cannot win does not make them an enemy. We all pick our battles, and we will all make different choices on what those battles should be.
I also doubt Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops wants to be caught with a large quantity of mags they would have to move out of state should/when the state gets the injunction lifted.

I don't agree. The possibility did occur to me that they likely didn't wanna be left with a bunch of mags they couldn't sell in case the M114 curtain came down, but I would think that carries very little risk for a giant national chain. I'm sure they have deliveries of all sorts of things going back and forth to various locations and warehouses/distribution centers all over the country anyways. Probably wouldn't be too much trouble to send them to a location in a freer state, or a warehouse for online sales, etc. Couple that with the fact that these stores are huge and sell far more outdoors/sporting goods than just gun stuff (tents, kayaks, fishing gear, apparel, etc, etc). A shelf of mags isn't likely to have a massive financial impact anyways.

As such, I have more respect for the independent shops who've continued to carry the magazines in question even though being left with inventory they can't sell is likely a much bigger and costlier potential burden, and presents a larger risk to one's bottom line to them.

Great points made here in various posts. However, I think we should focus on our enemies. Cabela's, The NRA, Midway USA, etc., etc., are not our enemies.

Great points made here in various posts. However, I think we should focus on our enemies. Cabela's, The NRA, Midway USA, etc., etc., are not our enemies.
I'd argue the NRA does more harm than good. Lining their pockets on empty promises and pony shows.

Cabella's has lost their way. When there was a 114 buyers gun crunch Cabella's in Tualitan had limited service hours, few gun sales, and closed their gun shop very early. Most gun dealers in Oregon were helpful with sales, but not Cabellas in Tualitin. I have been buying at Keith's and Highline.

Yeah, but you say braces are stupid. Maybe YOU are the enemy!

:s0140:
Braces are stupid. But if someone wants to own one then they should do so. Haha.

Just cause it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean sh!t.

Fish are friends. Not food.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA