JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, I get that it is now a question on the application when you buy a semiauto rifle or pistol, but what form required me to sign permission to investigate my mental health before the I1639 form. Outside of the 4473, I have never filled out, or had to fill out, any form in order to purchase ANY rifle or pistol, prior to the implementation of 1639 BS.

OK, I get that it is now a question on the application when you buy a semiauto rifle or pistol, but what form required me to sign permission to investigate my mental health before the I1639 form. Outside of the 4473, I have never filled out, or had to fill out, any form in order to purchase ANY rifle or pistol, prior to the implementation of 1639 BS.

DOL pistol transfer form. Updated to include SARs after 1639.

Attachments

• 652001.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
Here's an area where I'm still confused. If this has already been answered, I apologise--I didn't see it.

Does the CPL exception to the waiting period for pistols still exist? With a valid CPL, can the buyer receive delivery immediately, or did 1639 take that away too?

Here's an area where I'm still confused. If this has already been answered, I apologise--I didn't see it.

Does the CPL exception to the waiting period for pistols still exist? With a valid CPL, can the buyer receive delivery immediately, or did 1639 take that away too?
That exception is done. CPL holders wait like everyone else as of 7/1/19.

The CPL waiting period change, and Dan correct me if I'm mistaken here, was due to the FBI dropping its manpower support to Washington FFLs, not because of a change in Washington law. The FBI essentially stopped doing Washington's work. So CPLs wait until the county gives the proceed. It is not a fixed waiting period like it is for semi automatic rifles now.

RCW 9.41.090 "(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:"
"(c) The requirements or time periods in RCW 9.41.092 have been satisfied."
RCW 9.41.092 "Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:"
"(1) The results of all required background checks are known..."
"(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check..."

If nothing else, with all these people just finding out what the full weight & impact 1639 means, maybe we as gun owners will finally wake up and start paying attention.

RCW 9.41.090(1)(a) and (b) continue to define the CPL holder's transfer process the same, but the written notice to proceed in (b) is simply taking longer than five minutes because of a processing backlog.

One good reason to just buy receivers while you still can and build your own--they haven't caught that one yet, but I expect them to next session.

Or better yet, start investing in tooling, skills and blanks/flats to roll your own from 80%'s...

Teacher, NRA member, CPL holder, statistically speaking, I'm about as safe to be around as peaceable person could get. Sure would be nice to be treated like such. Lol
Indeed! Retired teacher here Benefactor NRA member CPL, and my wife loves me. I am a very gruntled person.

If nothing else, with all these people just finding out what the full weight & impact 1639 means, maybe we as gun owners will finally wake up and start paying attention.
By God, I hope you're right, but recent history isn't on our side.

The CPL waiting period change, and Dan correct me if I'm mistaken here, was due to the FBI dropping its manpower support to Washington FFLs, not because of a change in Washington law. The FBI essentially stopped doing Washington's work. So CPLs wait until the county gives the proceed. It is not a fixed waiting period like it is for semi automatic rifles now.

Yep, even CPL holders have to wait like everyone did who did not have one. PITA but what scares me is the next "rush". When something sets off another buying frenzy it may get fun again. Last great panic the delay for those who did not have a CPL was often 30 days or more. FFL holders "could" let the gun walk after 10 days. Some here said they would. Many said no, they did not want to risk it. So if we get into another rush of buying suspect the same damn thing will happen again. This of course will mean squat to the criminals who they claim these laws are aimed at. The criminal gun shop is open 24/7 and has no waiting.

yup, good guys always take the hit, because of bad guys :(

what's done is done, but gun owners really need to step-up and try to prevent whatever next wave is.

Teacher, NRA member, CPL holder, statistically speaking, I'm about as safe to be around as peaceable person could get. Sure would be nice to be treated like such. Lol
Add veteran, ATF cleared "responsible person", and a trust, owner of enough other guns to not have a clear count in mind (4 page inventory on my trust), but I'm still not safe enough apparently.

When you transferred a handgun prior to I1639 there was a form that went to LE and the state. In my experience the dealer actually filled it out and all I did was sign it verifying length of state residence, kind of an afterthought thing after filling out the 4473. Of course I never read any fine print as if you don't sign you don't get the handgun. It's the only form your CPL number was used on and as I said most of it was done by the dealer in my experience, easy to think you never filled out a form other than 4473.

Thanks, TCOV. That answers my question, but I sure do not remember signing any other paperwork than the 4473. I wonder if it was done without a signature because of the CHL, but I don't know. That is what happens when you get to be an old fart!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top