JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I usually shoot 168 grain just because I used to be able to get the factory seconds from Nosler when I lived in Bend. When seconds from Nosler became hen's teeth, I just stuck with the 168 grain, usually in the Hornady.

When I first started loading for my AR10 308, I tried every kind of bullet I could think of in the 165-180gr range. The Hornady 168gr. BTHP match bullets were by far the most accurate:
DcHjEYx.jpg

That was the best accuracy node for my rifle. Funny thing is, the bullets I shot in my 30-06 today were not very accurate in my AR10. The reason I had that box of 178gr ELDM's to work with. My 30-06 is a hunting rifle, so it will get some good hunting bullets to go with it. I may just give the 180gr. Hornady interlocks a try too. I have about 400 of those left. I used to shoot the 165gr Hornady SP interlock religiously backed by 56 grains of IMR4350 in all of my 30-06 rifles at one time. Every one of them liked that bullet and load. Loaded to the rifle with the shortest leade/throat and backed it off by .020" for an OAL of 3.210"... Worked very well in 6 different 30-06 rifles I had at the time...

Last Edited:
As I promised, I finally got out to the range with my new BSA model E (factory sporterized m1917). I'll give you guys a little history lesson on the BSA rifles. They sporterized old military pattern 14's and American enfields back in 1949-1953. BSA or Birmingham small arms were great at fixing up these old military rifles. I don't know how many they did, but I've been lucky enough to find 2. One a model D and my most recent a model E. The model E was like a deluxe lightened version of the model D.

So, kind of like a British version of a Remington Model 30?

So, kind of like a British version of a Remington Model 30?

Yep, so to speak. Now, if only I could get my hands on a Remington 720. That was the baddest Remington of all times!!! The 30's are cool by all rights as well.. I've ran across the 30 express rifles numerous times, but always seemed to pass on them for some reason. I believe the BSA is a better rifle, with better quality.. I know for a fact their barrels are top notch and the bolt handle they use is nicer.. Always achieved sub moa groups out of my model D. Like I've said before, I actually shot some "scary accurate" groups with that rifle..

Last Edited:
My Godson (and nephew) is left handed. When he was young he was a very good baseball pitcher. I told him he did a good job, especially for using the "wrong" hand.

Ha ha. Hopefully he took that as constructive criticism and knew you were just kidding with him. I also have a nephew that is left handed. If he ever starts hunting, I may just pass one of my left handed rifles on to him.. You see these left handed stocks for the m1917 every once in a while. Some are not as nice as the ones I have. It seems a lot of the sporter stocks for the 1917 are pretty homely looking. Mine probably are too, but I'm partial to them :D

He knew I was teasing. I'm a known jokester in the family. I did buy him a left handed Savage 110 for his graduation present. His older brother got my prized, blued Ruger 77MKII.... Kids.

He knew I was teasing. I'm a known jokester in the family. I did buy him a left handed Savage 110 for his graduation present. His older brother got my prized, blued Ruger 77MKII.... Kids.

Very cool man. That's what being an uncle is all about.. You are a good man...

I ran across a Remington Model 30 yesterday at Greene's Gun Shop.
It was in really nice shape with a Lyman model 48 peep sight...the overall shape I'd put at excellent , excepting the recoil pad , which is a later add on.
Seemed a fair price for a seldom seen rifle...the things you see , when you don't have any money...
Andy

Dang, maybe I should have bought the one I saw for $350.00 then... That's been a few years ago now. One thing about the m1917's, you'll find them at a lot of local shops, but some of them are ragged and look like they were first time projects for beginning gunsmiths. I run away fast when I see those. It is cool to run across one that was done right from the factory though, like the BSA's and Remington 30S. If any of you guys run across a Remington 720, please let me know..;)

The one I kick myself in the azz the most about was an original Roy Weatherby 300 wby magnum that was built on a m1917 action. It was by far the nicest 1917 I've seen and it was at a gunshow in the Portland area. Maybe one of the collector west shows. Anyhow, it had documentation that it was built for Roy. As some of you probably know, when he started out, he used all sorts of things like mauser 98's, m1917's etc.... This rifle in particular looked like it was stocked by Al Biesen and the metal work was flawless. The seller wanted $2,400.00 for it, and I almost went to the bank. Still wish I would have though. That was a mistake on my part. That old Weatherby orignial may still be here in the PNW somewhere in some collectors safe...

Used to be a fantastic past time, but totally frowned on, and almost a religious sin. Many Enfields 1917s and Springfields 03 & 03A3 had terrible barrels and could be bought for next to nothing. They were such nice sporters when you kept the actions and replaced the barrels with new, and made into a thing of personal beauty. All kinds of really nice wood that was available from several different suppliers. New barrels ran from New 03 GI at $.95 to famous makers running $100 and more installed on your action. Still have a few of those old timers I kept. Two 1917s, on in 25-06 and the other in 6mm Rem. done before Remington adopted the calibers. They were still wildcats back then. A 1903 Springfield that was chambered to a 30 Gibbs. Still a wildcat, and likely never be a standard caliber. Back then called a poor man's 300 H&H, but fell quite a bit short...not much. A trio of 03 and 03A3 that I just rebarreled with new barrels and applied learning under the tutorship of a local smith. Back in the 60s he earned a pretty decent living converting military into really nice sporting rifles and even improved military ones that came in also. No one seemed to have a lot of money, but firearms and related things seemed pretty affordable back then.

The one I kick myself in the azz the most about was an original Roy Weatherby 300 wby magnum that was built on a m1917 action. It was by far the nicest 1917 I've seen and it was at a gunshow in the Portland area. Maybe one of the collector west shows. Anyhow, it had documentation that it was built for Roy. As some of you probably know, when he started out, he used all sorts of things like mauser 98's, m1917's etc.... This rifle in particular looked like it was stocked by Al Biesen and the metal work was flawless. The seller wanted $2,400.00 for it, and I almost went to the bank. Still wish I would have though. That was a mistake on my part. That old Weatherby orignial may still be here in the PNW somewhere in some collectors safe...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top