JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, I must have misunderstood you. BTW, I got a .22, mostly for target practice, but I will likely go rabbit and squirrel hunting with it--maybe--it depends on my accuracy. I am assuming by hunting rifle that you're referring to a caliber appropriate for deer?

Yes, or elk, or both. :D

Gonna put those squirrels in a pot?

BTW, which .22 rifle did you settle on? Just curious. A bit more advise, since you have the .22 and can get some practice with it... before you hunt for deer, practice shooting from a variety of positions. Ie, a PROPER sitting position, a PROPER kneeling position, offhand shooting technique, etc. Few hunters shoot deer from a prone position, but if you plan on moving around, check out some shooting sticks to see if those would be something to try to help with offhand shooting. :)

Yes, or elk, or both. :D

Gonna put those squirrels in a pot?

BTW, which .22 rifle did you settle on? Just curious. A bit more advise, since you have the .22 and can get some practice with it... before you hunt for deer, practice shooting from a variety of positions. Ie, a PROPER sitting position, a PROPER kneeling position, offhand shooting technique, etc. Few hunters shoot deer from a prone position, but if you plan on moving around, check out some shooting sticks to see if those would be something to try to help with offhand shooting. :)

Brother, I wish I lived closer to you! You are like a walking library! You are going to accelerate my learning curve!!! Oh, squirrels will be mounted as trophies on the wall! Squirrel is darn good eating, although I doubt my wife will mess with it!

Brother, I wish I lived closer to you! You are like a walking library! You are going to accelerate my learning curve!!! Oh, squirrels will be mounted as trophies on the wall! Squirrel is darn good eating, although I doubt my wife will mess with it!

Speaking of which... did anyone mention you might benefit from attending an Appleseed event? Now that you have a .22lr rifle, that might be a dandy way to learn a whole bunch!

In today's world of 24-hour news cycles, changing technologies, and push-button gratification, it's a challenge to stay connected to the values that our great country was built on. Ideals like integrity, commitment, and personal responsibility are what our founding fathers relied on to win our independence and to then make America a great nation. At Project Appleseed™, we're dedicated to keeping these timeless values alive. We promote civic responsibility through the teaching of colonial history and the American tradition of rifle marksmanship. Even after all of these years, there is much to be learned from our forefathers' examples of perseverance, commitment, and civic virtue. With a full calendar of shooting clinics and events, Project Appleseed is here to make sure these timeless principles live on for generations to come.

Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed

schedule | Project Appleseed

Speaking of which... did anyone mention you might benefit from attending an Appleseed event? Now that you have a .22lr rifle, that might be a dandy way to learn a whole bunch!

In today's world of 24-hour news cycles, changing technologies, and push-button gratification, it's a challenge to stay connected to the values that our great country was built on. Ideals like integrity, commitment, and personal responsibility are what our founding fathers relied on to win our independence and to then make America a great nation. At Project Appleseed™, we're dedicated to keeping these timeless values alive. We promote civic responsibility through the teaching of colonial history and the American tradition of rifle marksmanship. Even after all of these years, there is much to be learned from our forefathers' examples of perseverance, commitment, and civic virtue. With a full calendar of shooting clinics and events, Project Appleseed is here to make sure these timeless principles live on for generations to come.

Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed

schedule | Project Appleseed

I have only recently heard of Project Appleseed as a result of my .22 purchase. I sort of got the impression that it was a shooting competition, but what you shared sounds like so much more! I immediately thought of anti-gunners really detesting this organization!

Really? You're a taxidermist? We're talking tree squirrels right, not ground squirrels?
Not a taxidermist! I am passionate about some things but taxidermy is not one! Now, for clarification, I have absolutely no bias towards taxidermy, it's just not in my bucket list. FYI, as someone got the impression I was anti-trophy hunting.

Just remember, Western Gray Squirrel is a small game animal and a hunting license is required. If your wife is not gonna mess with them, then you must. By law and by ethics we don't waste game!

I probably will not buy ballistoi again. I like the aerosol can idea, but I don't personally care for the smell of it. I may eventually get some Hoppe's to try, but I heard it was petroleum based and had a bad smell.

Just remember, Western Gray Squirrel is a small game animal and a hunting license is required. If your wife is not gonna mess with them, then you must. By law and by ethics we don't waste game!
Yeah, I know the need for a license. I figured I'd get a combo angling/hunting in a few. Won't try hunting until after the safety course in March. I may just feed those squirrels to my lab! She hates them and wants one in the worst way. I figured she would see it as SWEET REVENGE!!!

Yeah, I know the need for a license. I figured I'd get a combo angling/hunting in a few. Won't try hunting until after the safety course in March. I may just feed those squirrels to my lab! She hates them and wants one in the worst way. I figured she would see it as SWEET REVENGE!!!

Yeah well, it's no fun for the lab when the squirrels are no longer running/moving.

I removed my reply, as you can imagine my embarrassment when I realized I misread that this post was about storing squirrels. How silly of me.:D

So to get back on track,

View attachment 551747

Urban Squirrels

There are five species of native squirrels in Northwest Oregon: the Western Gray Squirrel, Douglas Squirrel, California Ground Squirrel, Townsend's Chipmunk and the Northern Flying Squirrel.

Western Gray Squirrels were once the most common squirrel species in the area but have now almost completely disappeared due to development and competition from non-native species. Today our two most common urban squirrels, the Fox and Eastern Gray, are non-native, invasive species from the east coast.

Non-native Squirrels

Fox Squirrels were brought to Oregon from the eastern United States and have established themselves throughout the state. They are the most common tree squirrels found in Portland and have contributed to the decline of native squirrel species.

Fox Squirrels are reddish brown in color with large bushy tails and tan undersides. Oregon's Fox Squirrels are notorious for breeding "out of season," and infant and very young squirrels found later than Oct. 1 and earlier that April 1 are typically members of this species.

Eastern Gray Squirrels are small gray-and-brown squirrels with a white belly that were introduced to Oregon and Washington from the eastern United States. They are smaller than the native Western Gray Squirrel.

We are overrun with these "Eastern" squirrels. As I speak, they are running up and down my fence. Folks still think they are cute, and enjoy their antics, but the folks that appreciate them are not the folks who've had their house wiring chewed up by them. :shock:

Rats and mice are viewed as disgusting, so folks readily set traps or place poisons. Folks will not control squirrels. And if I shot 10 squirrels in my yard today, I don't think I'd have any fewer squirrels tomorrow.

Yeah, but you'd have a full belly! :)

I probably will not buy ballistoi again. I like the aerosol can idea, but I don't personally care for the smell of it. I may eventually get some Hoppe's to try, but I heard it was petroleum based and had a bad smell.
Hoppes #9 oftentimes gets people complaining about the smell.
I like it.
For a change, I'm going to try Butch's Bore Shine and see how that goes.
381808.jpg

So I settled on this box, Craftsman 16" ($12.98 Lowes)
Didn't take too much to fill it (there is also a 20" $16.98 Lowes)
It's a well-designed box.
076174816686.jpg

Last Edited:
I am just beginning in firearms, and I can see I am collecting quite a bit of cleaning supplies. Where is the best place for storing it? Do you take it with you to the shooting range? Hunting? Do you put everything in a small duffle bag and carry it with you everytime you go anywhere with your gun(s)? Did you ever have a time when you're gun needed cleaning and you left everything at home? Any problems with leakage?

For just a day trip I take a bore snake and some oil

I was given this small toolbox some 40+ years ago as a kid. And it ended up making a great box for all my gun related tools and cleaning supplies. But I keep all of my solvents and such in a .50 cal ammo can...

I also carry a very small assortment of things in my range bag...some hex keys, a small oiler, a cleaning rod in case I need to push out and obstruction, etc. But I try to keep the things I carry back and forth to the range as minimal as possible. There's already plenty of stuff to carry with ammo, guns, eyes, ears, holsters, mag pouches, etc.

View attachment 551295

View attachment 551296

View attachment 551297

View attachment 551298

View attachment 551299

I went back through this thread and reviewed posts. Man, this is FLAT-OUT AWESOME!!!

This has worked well for me. Cheap at $12.00 or so. The pockets keep oil, solvent bottles jags and picks upright. (don't know how other guys can keep oil and solvent bottles on their side without getting a mess at some point)

And as far as cheap cleaning kits, or the bags that use a cleaning kit as an "Extra" bonus? I've found cheap cleaning kits, are cheap, and the parts aren't very durable. YMMV That's not to say that Hoppe's copper and lead remover won't eat a more expensive non-stainless bore brush though. That's why I don't scrub my barrels wet.

View attachment 551344
Mikej, where
This has worked well for me. Cheap at $12.00 or so. The pockets keep oil, solvent bottles jags and picks upright. (don't know how other guys can keep oil and solvent bottles on their side without getting a mess at some point)

And as far as cheap cleaning kits, or the bags that use a cleaning kit as an "Extra" bonus? I've found cheap cleaning kits, are cheap, and the parts aren't very durable. YMMV That's not to say that Hoppe's copper and lead remover won't eat a more expensive non-stainless bore brush though. That's why I don't scrub my barrels wet.

View attachment 551344
Mikej, what store did you purchase this from?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top