JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think we're far enough into this thread that you might not mind another small thread drift. I traded for a tricked-out Mini-14. Among all the other custom components, it had a Black Hole Weaponry upper and barrel. BHW Redirect
The instructions for this barrel recommended frequent cleaning for break-in. So, I trot down to my local range, the Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club. I tell the range officer that I'm going to need to clean my barrel every few shots for a while. He freaks out! He says there will be no disassembly of firearms unless he shuts the range down and personally supervises every move I make to make sure that my muzzle points downrange at all times. He then proceeded to do so. What should have been a 1-2 hour range session turned into three hours before I bailed out. I resigned my membership when my protest fell on deaf ears. Rant mode off. :s0109:

So, it looks like oil, lubricants, etc. fit in the upper right?
Yes. You can access from the top without opening anything else or get into it when you open the top.
They don't fit my big bottles of Kroil, Hoppes etc, but lots of room for the smaller size bottles.
Bottom right has compartment you can stuff all kinds of things in. I use it for patches, Qtips, swabs etc.

I think we're far enough into this thread that you might not mind another small thread drift. I traded for a tricked-out Mini-14. Among all the other custom components, it had a Black Hole Weaponry upper and barrel. BHW Redirect
The instructions for this barrel recommended frequent cleaning for break-in. So, I trot down to my local range, the Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club. I tell the range officer that I'm going to need to clean my barrel every few shots for a while. He freaks out! He says there will be no disassembly of firearms unless he shuts the range down and personally supervises every move I make to make sure that my muzzle points downrange at all times. He then proceeded to do so. What should have been a 1-2 hour range session turned into three hours before I bailed out. I resigned my membership when my protest fell on deaf ears. Rant mode off. :s0109:
Not to get the new gun break-in argument gong again, I was instructed by my new gun manufacturer to do the same thing. I have never in my long life and many guns did a break-in on a new gun. I just went out and started shooting it after removing any dirt and deposits from the manufacturer and oiling it. For most guns, I cleaned and removed copper deposits after around 20 rounds for the first few times (bolt action rifles mostly). It is very tough to do with most semi-autos and I usually wait until several mags worth of ammo have been shot.

I decided to do it outside of the range, which makes it more difficult and places to shoot alone are hard to find.

Lots of good ideas. I took a old fashioned 3 piece rod with me when I was a hunting guide. I had to use it once and it made the guy very happy since it put his rifle back into action. Sometimes snow gets into the barrel. Of course I would never use use a three piece at home.

I have appreciated those who have shared what you use to clean your gun(s), and I made a couple of small purchases at Walmart. Found these two bags at Walmart for $5.98 each, and one will be my range bag for ammo and the other for gun cleaning only. It has three small bags on the outside for small containers that fit upright. It also has a zipper to close. Works for me at this point, and thought I would share if anyone wants to cheaply have a dedicated range bag and/or gun cleaning bag. 20190308_170218.jpg 2019-03-08 17.27.48.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top