JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool!

Most folks sight in their .22 for zero at 50yds. After that, you should shoot targets at different distances to see where it shoots. (Cuz a squirrel is a small target.)
Enjoy!!!
I'm going to shoot at a range with someone in the next week who has the same .22. I asked him about getting a scope, and he suggested learning to use the sights, develop my shooting, and then advancing to a scope!

I'm going to shoot at a range with someone in the next week who has the same .22. I asked him about getting a scope, and he suggested learning to use the sights, develop my shooting, and then advancing to a scope!

Since using iron sights is harder than using a scope, maybe "advancing" would be shooting with irons? ;) Should help your turkey shoot tho.

My eyesight is sooooo bad that I cannot use iron sights any more. All my rifles are scoped. Fortunately, a .22 does not require an expensive scope, just make sure that when you buy one you get one with a 1" tube, not one of those cheap .22 scopes with crappy scope mounts/rings!!

How Do You Store Your Firearm Cleaning Supplies?

Poorly I'd say

My cleaning gear is in a giant pile in my garage
A pile I haven't been able to locate since moving in.
Now I have a pile of new cleaning equipment accumulating in my office

Seriously...I keep a ton of gun cleaning stuff and gun tools scattered throughout my garage. And I have much more socked away. And if that wasn't enough, I often buy more.

Then, in my truck, I keep a complete set of gun cleaning and maintenance items in a medium size tool box. This box never leaves my truck, so there's no chance I could be forgetting anything, and I don't have to haul stuff to the truck every time I go shooting. And the stuff in this tool box gets used, nearly every time I go shooting.
Great idea!

Mikej, where

Mikej, what store did you purchase this from?

Where else? America's cheap mechanics tool outlet. Harbor Freight! I wouldn't do Harbor Freight for any serious wrenching. I have a pretty good set of Snapon stuff from my motorcycle shop days. That bag from HB should last forever consider the weight is much less than mechanics tools.

Since using iron sights is harder than using a scope, maybe "advancing" would be shooting with irons? ;) Should help your turkey shoot tho.

My eyesight is sooooo bad that I cannot use iron sights any more. All my rifles are scoped. Fortunately, a .22 does not require an expensive scope, just make sure that when you buy one you get one with a 1" tube, not one of those cheap .22 scopes with crappy scope mounts/rings!!
Yeah, I am going to wait on the scope, and I have my sights on either the Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte or Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 BDC. I know the Nikon will fit on My Ruger. Probably, most people would say too much scope for the .22, but I plan to transfer it to my future deer rifle. The 30-30 is likely all I need, although I haven't ruled out a .308. I am fine with some recoil. I shot a Ruger mini-30, which is a Russian 7.62×39mm cartridge and, supposedly, similar to a 30-30. I shot enough at the range with it that I really became comfortable with the mini-30. Great little rifle. I still have 20/20 vision for distance, but my hearing is crap. I use hearing aids. I didn't scrimp on ear protection, and got battery operated that allows me to hear someone talk to me but that's it. So, I can wear my hearing aids, yet protect what hearing I have left! Otherwise, with ear protection, I'd be slammed deaf! What luck, I went with someone to their gun club, and he had the same pair. So, he showed me how to adjust the volume.

Where else? America's cheap mechanics tool outlet. Harbor Freight! I wouldn't do Harbor Freight for any serious wrenching. I have a pretty good set of Snapon stuff from my motorcycle shop days. That bag from HB should last forever consider the weight is much less than mechanics tools.
Yeah, that bag looks high quality and will probably outlast me! I have a Harbor Freight near me, I just have never shopped there before; but, that's about to end!

Depends what "cleaning supplies" means to you.

Back when I was acquiring milsurps, "cleaning supplies" to me included
  • an oven (to bake out the cosmoline)
  • a big metal pot (to boil the cosmoline off the metal parts)
  • an electrolysis setup (to leach ancient deposits out of the inside of the gun barrel)
  • and a bottle of windex (to dribble down the barrel after shooting at the range, since surplus ammo is corrosive).
  • a half-dozen obscure books on how to disassemble a 100-year-old rifle

Last Edited:
Depends what "cleaning supplies" means to you.

Back when I was acquiring milsurps, "cleaning supplies" to me included
  • an oven (to bake out the cosmoline)
  • a big metal bot (to boil the cosmoline off the metal parts)
  • an electrolysis setup (to leach ancient deposits out of the inside of the gun barrel)
  • and a bottle of windex (to dribble down the barrel after shooting at the range, since surplus ammo is corrosive).
  • a half-dozen obscure books on how to disassemble a 100-year-old rifle
WTH?

Yeah, I am going to wait on the scope, and I have my sights on either the Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte or Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 BDC. I know the Nikon will fit on My Ruger. Probably, most people would say too much scope for the .22, but I plan to transfer it to my future deer rifle. The 30-30 is likely all I need, although I haven't ruled out a .308. I am fine with some recoil. I shot a Ruger mini-30, which is a Russian 7.62×39mm cartridge and, supposedly, similar to a 30-30.

Good plan on the scope. Although I think it's still too much for a 30-30, which is a medium range shell. Fine for deer hunting tho. If you think you might ever be taking longer shots, or hunting elk, you might want to go with the .308... of course you could get the 30-30 and then have an excuse to buy the .308 later! :D

I think you will find the 30-30 kicks more than the AK type round. I've shot both. For one thing, you were shooting a semi-auto, which does have some recoil absorption. Secondly, if you buy a lever action type 30-30, they tend to slap you right in the cheekbone due to the stock angle. .308 is not bad recoil and a very effective and versatile round. As always, try before you buy!!! :eek:

Thanks, I will look into renting a few rifles and seeing what they're like. I know of a public shooting range that rents rifles for a modest fee near me. As know surprise to you, I might handle shooting a deer, but if I shot a huge elk, I have no clue how I'd get that home? However, before I buy, I need to see what I like.

Thanks, I will look into renting a few rifles and seeing what they're like. I know of a public shooting range that rents rifles for a modest fee near me. As know surprise to you, I might handle shooting a deer, but if I shot a huge elk, I have no clue how I'd get that home? However, before I buy, I need to see what I like.

Uh, in your rig? A quartered elk should fit in the same space as a headless/legless deer. Or you could choose to leave it locally for processing into steaks/roasts/etc and then go back to get it. (Or wait for a buddy to travel back your way!)

Here's my rig and my hunting dog!

My Truck.png

The photo is beautiful.

Your dog is so very cool. His perspective looks human, but better...

The background looks Asian.

Am I wrong?

I think probably, but man to me it looks Asian or Tibetan and yes, I have an active imagination...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top