JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm like @AndyinEverson and everything resides on the bench. There; because much of it is used frequently enough it is helpful to be handy.
When I was young, and only had a couple guns, and was lucky enough to shoot them a couple times a month, and limited in space, I had a large plastic fishing box to keep my things in.
But now..Unless my intent is to tweak things or adjust sights at the range, or am going hunting for a few days or more,
For a days range shooting, and primarily because it resides permanently in my ammo bag, I do bring a totally separate outfit of a Gerber multi tool and this: (plus a good rag)
IMGP1202.JPG
but rarely use it as (except for an exterior wipe down with a rag) I do my clean and petting at home while my wife watches stupid TV shows.
(don't tell her I said that:eek:)
It does get used daily when I'm out hunting for days/weeks at a time though.

BBBass, I read something recently (and I wish I could quote it here, so I'll paraphrase) about shooting a new gun and cleaning it frequently--like every ten rounds--because the cartridges score the barrel. The idea was that keeping it clean, until broken in, enabled the gun to shoot more accurately. Does this make sense to you? Or is it unnecessary to clean a new gun that often?

Break-in is BS, just shoot it.

^^^ THIS!!^^^

A pistol or rifle barrel has only 1 moving part, a bullet, which requires no oil. Any microabrasions in the barrel from manufacturing will wear in with more shooting. Keeping it clean will not make a difference in that process. Even so, most shooters do not believe in a break-in period. Especially on pistols. I think it is the shooter that gets broke in to the firearm trigger, etc.

Of course, you will find many different opinions. YMMV

@G8rHunter and @G8rHunter only... Let's say you are testing loads for your new hunting rifle at the rifle range. You have it sighted in, but you are shooting for the best accuracy with any one particular load under hunting conditions. How would you proceed? Vis-a-vis cleaning routine while testing... every shot, every 3 shots, every 10 shots, every shot and let the barrel get cold between shots, same for 3 shots?

Last Edited:
Its kind of messy right now, but everything that I could possibly need is in there except my cleaning rods. I usually take a couple rods with me when out shooting and my torque wrench if I am sighting in a new scope. I have another box to hold extra cleaning supplies, Kroil and Powder Blast or similar. Very sturdy and chemical resistant.

P2230230.JPG P2230231.JPG P2230232.JPG P2230233.JPG

Last Edited:
I was given this small toolbox some 40+ years ago as a kid. And it ended up making a great box for all my gun related tools and cleaning supplies. But I keep all of my solvents and such in a .50 cal ammo can...

I also carry a very small assortment of things in my range bag...some hex keys, a small oiler, a cleaning rod in case I need to push out and obstruction, etc. But I try to keep the things I carry back and forth to the range as minimal as possible. There's already plenty of stuff to carry with ammo, guns, eyes, ears, holsters, mag pouches, etc.

View attachment 551295

View attachment 551296

View attachment 551297

View attachment 551298

View attachment 551299
I though that I was bad, but that is just plain OCD.:s0115:

Its kind of messy right now, but everything that I could possibly need is in there except my cleaning rods. I usually take a couple rods with me when out shooting and my torque wrench if I am sighting in a new scope. I have another box to hold extra cleaning supplies, Kroil and Powder Blast or similar. Very sturdy and chemical resistant.

View attachment 551470 View attachment 551471 View attachment 551472 View attachment 551473

Nice, and your liquids I guess don't spill laying sideways?

@G8rHunter and @G8rHunter only... Let's say you are testing loads for your new hunting rifle at the rifle range. You have it sighted in, but you are shooting for the best accuracy with any one particular load under hunting conditions. How would you proceed? Vis-a-vis cleaning routine while testing... every shot, every 3 shots, every 10 shots, every shot and let the barrel get cold between shots, same for 3 shots?

BBBass, I'm fine with being told that's ridiculous and whoever said that must be OCD! Thanks for informing me of a ludicrous suggestion from a gun magazine. Clearly, most of you already know how to pick and choose what is good advice, but, with your help, I'll get there! BTW, buddy, you have been one of the kindest and most forbearing, and I appreciate it!!!

Nice, and your liquids I guess don't spill laying sideways?
Anything with just a large screw cap remains upright, like Hoppes #9, in the bottom of the box. I have never had a problem with dropper type bottles leaking much on their side and even if they drip a little, the plastic is resistant to everything including solvents.

BBBass, I'm fine with being told that's ridiculous and whoever said that must be OCD! Thanks for informing me of a ludicrous suggestion from a gun magazine. Clearly, most of you already know how to pick and choose what is good advice, but, with your help, I'll get there! BTW, buddy, you have been one of the kindest and most forbearing, and I appreciate it!!!

Ok. But I was serious about the question of cleaning interval when bench rest shooting. Let me know when you buy your first hunting rifle and we can explore that question together!! :)

Let me know when you buy your first hunting rifle and we can explore that question together!! :)

Oh, I must have misunderstood you. BTW, I got a .22, mostly for target practice, but I will likely go rabbit and squirrel hunting with it--maybe--it depends on my accuracy. I am assuming by hunting rifle that you're referring to a caliber appropriate for deer?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top