JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just beginning in firearms, and I can see I am collecting quite a bit of cleaning supplies. Where is the best place for storing it? Do you take it with you to the shooting range? Hunting? Do you put everything in a small duffle bag and carry it with you everytime you go anywhere with your gun(s)? Did you ever have a time when you're gun needed cleaning and you left everything at home? Any problems with leakage?

Like any solvent, oil etc, they are stored according to mfg requirements. If transporting, I will carry in a plastic ammo can (no metal). In a fire the plastic container would melt, leading to less chances of an explosive release from anything inside a metal ammo can.

Mostly though I use a Q-tip and a bore snake with a micro-fiber cloth. I normally don't use harsh cleaners on my firearms.

I have my stuff in a 13" Craftsman tool bag.
Not that great of a plan.
Going to switch to something like this...
$9.87 Home Depot
red-black-theworks-portable-tool-boxes-tbt14-64_1000.jpg

Mostly though I use a Q-tip and a bore snake with a micro-fiber cloth. I normally don't use harsh cleaners on my firearms.
I use Break-Free CLP. I'm not aware of it being harsh. Someone told me to not use Hoppes, because it was petroleum based. I'm just wondering if most just leave the gun cleaning stuff at home or take it everywhere the gun goes?

I use Break-Free CLP. I'm not aware of it being harsh. Someone told me to not use Hoppes, because it was petroleum based. I'm just wondering if most just leave the gun cleaning stuff at home or take it everywhere the gun goes?

For me, it depends on the firearm. It's never a bad idea to take it with you. Now if you are doing a rifle accuracy test and you always use a clean barrel.. you will want it with you. never know when you get a gunked up firing pin or something weird happens that needs cleaning to fix it.

If you're using break free CLP it can't hurt to bring a small 4oz bottle with you to the range, and keep with your gear. Oil is especially useful to have on you if you ever get an AR. Usually any field cleaning can be done with a little bit of oil, like CLP, and more often than not you'll need to lubricate in the field more than clean. If you're hunting, it may be a good idea to bring a cleaning rod, patches and brush, just incase you get stuck in the mud and need to clean to salvage the day. It never hurts to have these things while target shooting, but you'll find that you won't need them more often than not. Same goes for camping as hunting, can't hurt to throw a small cleaning kit in the car.
Of course the BSA motto is "Be Prepared!"... so if you fancy always having a cleaning kit, go for it!

I store all of my supplies in a small plastic tote in the closet, and only carry a small bottle of CLP. Just don't store your supplies above the stove or something. Tho I may just start packing an otis kit with my AR after your post. Really there is no reason not to have a basic cleaning kit in the car next to your first aid kit.

Always carry at least one bandana, they can be used to clean your gun, filter water, or used in first aid.

+1 Plastic tub.
I then have smaller containers in that for cotton swaps, patches, paper towels and cloths.

I dont throw a lid on it as I stand the oil cans and grease upright.

I have my stuff in a 13" Craftsman tool bag.
Not that great of a plan.
Going to switch to something like this...
$9.87 Home Depot
View attachment 551140

I use a Harbor Freight tool bag for cleaning supplies. The pockets are handy to keep the Hoppe's oil and solvent upright. A pistol cleaning rod just fits. As for the range I don't ever shoot enough handgun to need cleaning, so no real cleaning supplies go to the range other than a couple of pink rags. I do carry a small inexpensive gun smith screwdriver kit. And a wooden dowel just in case of a squib. I should carry some CLP or WD though.

I use a large fishing tackle box that has several trays and drawers. That way I'm not digging through everything looking for a particular size patch or jag etc. I usually take it with me if I'm going overnight somewhere but not if I'm only going to the range. For a range trip I just keep a silicone cloth and small bottle of RemOil to lube or protect in an unforeseen rain shower.

Let me just add, I don't get butt hurt over what you use to clean your guns. I read that a lot of guys who grew up with guns, use Hoppes, because it's what they grew up with; and there's a nostalgic smell to it! I also read that some people use organic products only. I tend to use what gets great reviews and makes the most sense.

Let me just add, I don't get butt hurt over what you use to clean your guns. I read that a lot of guys who grew up with guns, use Hoppes, because it's what they grew up with; and there's a nostalgic smell to it! I also read that some people use organic products only. I tend to use what gets great reviews and makes the most sense.

I use only organic, non homogenized, sustainable, renewable, ethically sourced gun cleaning supplies. My ammo is also vegan, no animal parts or anything like that ever touches my firearms:D

50 cal metal ammo can to store them in cause they smell like cleaner...lol :eek: ammo can seals the smell inside.

Been using that same ammo can to store em in for almost 15 years now. it's not rusting, leaking, blowing up, or having any other issues that i'm aware of. :rolleyes:

as for what's in it: brass, copper, and nylon brushes, q-tips, hoppes gun oil, bore snakes for every caliber I shoot, and water based cleaner/degreaser in a spray bottle.

Got a roll of paper towels sitting next to it as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top