JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I go to the range I have a Boresnake for everycaliber gun I am taking with me, a small squeeze bottle of Hopes #9 solvent, a bottle of Rem Oil and a couple Flour Sack cloths in a Tupperware container in mi my range bag. At hop I have Compartmented Clear Plastic boxes for all of my Bore Brushes, Jags, Picks and Gun specific Tools. Solvents Oils and Patches stored in Wood Cigar Boxes.

I clean them when I get home. Most I take to the range is targets, ammo, mags, guns, and one of the range bags has a bottle of oil, and a few of the guns have oil bottles in their grips should I need to squirt a little extra lube in there. Otherwise they'll survive being dirty till they get home. I clean em before they go back in the safe.

Medium sized fishing tackle box (Hard plastic.) with a handle on top. It is the same one that I had in the late 90's and on when I got into buying my own guns and shooting.

I keep my one bottle of Shooter's Choice in a sealed freezer plastic bag in the super insulated garage NOT inside the tackle box on an open shelf next to the box. I stand the SC bottle upright. If it all goes to the range, I put the bottle/bag in a grocery bag, and throw away the bag when I get home. I always keep it in a bag because I don't like strong cleaning supply smells no matter what brand it.

On the same storage shelf, my husband has a large Rubbermaid tub with all of his firearm cleaning supplies and other gun stuff that I don't use. We inventory this as I do my very simple and mild cleaning supplies for the house.

My husband has a small, spare KIT in his truck with other items too.

Cate

I am assuming this to mean Hoppes # 9 ? The Chanel # 5 of guns!

LOL

No, not that one specifically. I think he has that famous brand but he has ALL kinds of cleaning brand supplies, oils, tubes of this or that, sprays, etc. Does he use them all of the time at the same time? No, but they ALL stink to me.

ALL of them stink to me, no matter what brand it is. (Most strong household cleaning supplies stink to me too!)

I have used Shooter's Choice, my first one came in a glass brown bottle, since the late 90's and my late husband had some of the Hoppes #9. I tried H #9 once. The rest of the time, I used my SC. I was always happy with SC. I still like the SC product but I hate chemical smells.

Back east, I had the BIG garage door open (36 x 24 garage with a loft.) and I would stand outside of the garage after I cleaned one gun and before I went to the next gun for MORE fresh air!

Cate

This has worked well for me. Cheap at $12.00 or so. The pockets keep oil, solvent bottles jags and picks upright. (don't know how other guys can keep oil and solvent bottles on their side without getting a mess at some point)

And as far as cheap cleaning kits, or the bags that use a cleaning kit as an "Extra" bonus? I've found cheap cleaning kits, are cheap, and the parts aren't very durable. YMMV That's not to say that Hoppe's copper and lead remover won't eat a more expensive non-stainless bore brush though. That's why I don't scrub my barrels wet.

61471_zzz_alt1_500.jpg

I store my cleaning supplies on my gun workbench.
When I go to the range , I generally do not bring anything to work on with my firearms.

That said when I go to a weekend or longer black powder rendezvous , my cleaning gear and tools all go into to a sail cloth bag...the bottle of Hoppe's #9 , CLP and such all go into a large ZipLock bag as well.
( Yeah I know , the last is not "period correct"...Phfft...:p:D )
Andy

LOL

No, not that one specifically. I think he has that famous brand but he has ALL kinds of cleaning brand supplies, oils, tubes of this or that, sprays, etc. Does he use them all of the time at the same time? No, but they ALL stink to me.

ALL of them stink to me, no matter what brand it is. (Most strong household cleaning supplies stink to me too!)

I have used Shooter's Choice, my first one came in a glass brown bottle, since the late 90's and my late husband had some of the Hoppes #9. I tried H #9 once. The rest of the time, I used my SC. I was always happy with SC. I still like the SC product but I hate chemical smells.

Back east, I had the BIG garage door open (36 x 24 garage with a loft.) and I would stand outside of the garage after I cleaned one gun and before I went to the next gun for MORE fresh air!

Cate

I was wrong. My MT husband just told me that he does not have or use Hoppes #9 any longer.

Cate

@sigh@ Right now they are all packed and sealed in a moving box in a storage area. Yep. It is heated. Still at least the first of July before we can get into our new place. Doing a lot of dry firing right now :-o

When I go to the range I take the following items:

Range bag i got years ago at Midway USA:

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System Black - MPN: 718657

Small bottle of Slip 2000 EWL for lubing my BCG
Broken Shell Extractor in 223 and .308 (I have never had to use these extractors but I take them anyways).
Otis cleaning kit
UpLULA for handgun magazines
StripLULA or LULA for rifle magazines

I typically load my magazines but I take extra ammunition as well. Some gun ranges inspect your ammunition so I don't load my magazines at all in these cases. I just pull all of the boxes of ammo and a gun range employee runs a magnet over all of my ammo.

Multitasker Series 3 Multitool (pliers,screwdriver set, etc.)

MULTITASKER SERIES 3 | Multitasker

Well, there's gun bench supplies that are out all the time... Hoppe's #9, CLP, Rem Oil, patches, cleaning rags, lube, toothbrushes, dental picks, etc. Then there are a few in the wood storage cabinet. Then there is a bench box that has some of the same stuff (I hate moving supplies from the bench).

Then I have a range toolbox that is like the MTM box but no racks. Since I shoot IDPA, and used to shoot USPSA, I cannot afford to have a malfunction that goes untreated. So I have a boresnake, a pistol cleaning rod kit, various small screwdrivers, allen wrenches, batteries for electronic muffs, a rod for pounding out squibs, a plastic hammer, CLP, spare muffs, shooting glasses, earplugs, synthetic lube in an applicator tube, and synthetic gun grease. And a wooden block. And a silicon impregnated cloth for wipe down of firearms.

Unlike me, my brother has a lot of guns. He believes in cleaning. I told him that I wanted to get a gun that was low maintenance, like the Remington Versa Max. He's my youngest brother, but he advised getting in the habit of regularly cleaning your gun and it will treat you well. I hate cleaning, but my brother primed me to take the time to do it.I'm trying, brother!

I'm pretty lazy, so I hate cleaning. It's a necessary evil but I've never thought a pistol needed to be cleaned each time it's used since my requirements for accuracy aren't much. At any rate, I bought a number of stainless steel guns just for that reason. Wipe it down on the outside. Clean the workings once in awhile. Good to go. My rifle is all stainless and kevlar stock. The stainless receiver only needs wiped down. And the barrel is very easy to clean with about 10 times thru with a dry bore brush. Once in awhile I use solvent to get any remaining lead fouling out. Easy peasy. :)

I cannot afford to have a malfunction that goes untreated.

BBBass, I read something recently (and I wish I could quote it here, so I'll paraphrase) about shooting a new gun and cleaning it frequently--like every ten rounds--because the cartridges score the barrel. The idea was that keeping it clean, until broken in, enabled the gun to shoot more accurately. Does this make sense to you? Or is it unnecessary to clean a new gun that often?

BBBass, I read something recently (and I wish I could quote it here, so I'll paraphrase) about shooting a new gun and cleaning it frequently--like every ten rounds--because the cartridges score the barrel. The idea was that keeping it clean, until broken in, enabled the gun to shoot more accurately. Does this make sense to you? Or is it unnecessary to clean a new gun that often?

Break-in is BS, just shoot it.

Breaking in - if what you're doing is smoothing out new stiff parts is credible.

Shooting it enough to see if it's reliable is smart...

Shooting a few rounds, clean, shoot a few rounds, clean etc. not necessary...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top