JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. I hope I posted this in the right place. I just recently took my concealed carry class and I am waiting on my permit. I was curious how some of you carry and what has and hasn't worked before I start buying holsters. Right now I'm planing on using my 38 in a sholder holster but I'm still pretty open minded. I know I deffinenly want to know its there and secure. Maybe on my waist. Any styles or brands that you like or that I should stay away from? Any input is helpfull. Thanks. Tom

SuperTuck Deluxe with J hooks

<broken link removed>

Best i have ever worn. There are many others in a box near my safe, this one is on my hip every day. Actually just ordered another one for a different gun.

Right now I'm planing on using my 38 in a shoulder holster but I'm still pretty open minded.
Why? Have you tried a shoulder holster? Do you know what they cost for a good one... and are you willing to spend the money to get a good one? Do you understand that you must wear a jacket or vest to conceal the rig?

See if you can borrow a shoulder holster, a IWB and high ride OWB... low end and high end if possible. Try them all and see what you like. Talk to senior police detectives if you can and get their opinions. I can almost promise that after you encounter the realities of a shoulder rig that you either can that idea, or at least be willing to step up and get a premium one.

I am left handed and carry in Galco Fed Paddles, Blade Tech paddles and a Kramer MSP paddle... as you might deduce, I like paddles. :s0114:
I've tried expensive shoulder and IWBs and don't like them. Doesn't mean you won't... but holsters are a very personal thing and no one can tell you exactly what will work for you based on their experience.

C

A quality holster really helps but a good gun belt makes all the difference. A Wilderness Tactical 5 Stitch Instructor Belt and a Comp-tac MTAC work best for me.

If you have a "belly" like me, you may find that carrying in the small of your back is the most comfortable. I carry a Glock 26 in a left handed High Noon Holsters IWB rig right at 6:00.

I bought a maxtuck from white hat holsters, more or less a crossbreed clone. It kind of sucks and they have been ultra unresponsive, so it's a small company I'll happily scratch off my list. Also, the problem with the crossbreed style is that it's quite long and it was poking in my leg with the clip. Picked up a N82 tactical pro and love it so far.

It's a taurus 85 with an exposed hammer. I haven't looked into the paddle style yet but that SuperTuck looks pretty nice. I think the IWB are out. I know there is going to be some trial and error just trying to get a starting point.

depends what i'm wearing, what season it is, where i'm going and what i'm carrying.

in winter i can comfortably carry a full size service pistol IWB with the "FBI cant" @ 4 o'clock, or with a shoulder holster and forget its there as far as comfort goes.
in summer it'll just be IWB with a full size pistol... IWB or appendix with a subcompact pistol or a J frame revolver.

as far as the IWB and appendix holsters; I tried a couple commercial ones and a couple expensive ones. I ended up making my own out of horse hide and kydex. they're supremely comfortable. very similar to a crossbreed holster.

If you have a "belly" like me, you may find that carrying in the small of your back is the most comfortable. I carry a Glock 26 in a left handed High Noon Holsters IWB rig right at 6:00.

Be very careful if you go this route. It is one of the most dangerous ways to carry - because of the high likelihood of back injury. Lots of gun toters, cops, and security people have been paralyzed or given serious back injury because of a gun or other item carried at the center of the back. All it takes is tripping or falling and landing on your back - the gun can push into the vertebrae and the next thing you know you're sending off for your disabled parking permit.

If this is the only method that works for you, so be it, but know the dangers associated with carrying in the small of your back. Simply moving the gun off away to the 4:30 position greatly reduces the risk of back injury. If you can reach a gun concealed in the very center of your back, you can reach one positioned closer to your hip.

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at my 3 o'clock. I find that this position feels the most comfortable and secure for me and allows me to maximize weapon retention and minimize drawing time.

G27 in a paddle holster on my hip 75% of the time, ankle holster 20% of the time, and factory Glock belt holster 5% of the time. It all depends on where I am and what I am doing. I have a shoulder rig, but it is the least comfortable, so I think I have worn it twice. Altogether I think I have 8 different holsters for my G27 and almost always use the Fobus paddle.

I use these ...<broken link removed> in front pocket for 38.

and one of these .....<broken link removed> with optional belt clips for LCR 357.

Lots of people screw around and try a bunch of holsters before they get around to a IWB. I did and wasted money and sacraficed comfort. I carry a 5" Kimber comfortably IWB. Ken

I use a Galco Summer Comfort (IWB) for my 1911. The guy I bought it from didn't find it comfortable. However, I do. I carry about 3:30-4:00 and love it.
I used to carry a 38 snubbie in a horizontal shoulder holster and liked it. But if I was carrying a small revolver again, I doubt I would carry it that way.

Strong side hip, outside belt with a holster that I can tilt/slide forward or back for total concealment under a garment in public vs. comfort in cars, etc. That's with a small piece and shrouded hammer, so it's pretty good in (securable) jacket pockets and packs too

Try some different rigs if your local shop will let you. Or find another shop. What looks slick in a video or gun magazine might feel entirely different (huge, obvious, awkward and bulky) when you actually put it on. Retail trial and error can get expensive.

I had a shoulder rig for awhile. It lost a lot of its appeal about the time Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs went to re-runs.

Thanks for all the good input. From what some of you guys say the shoulder holster is not as good of a option as I thought it was. I'll have to do some shopping this week and let you know what I come up with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top