JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Similar to titsonrits... I use a Galco Kingtuck, strongside appendix inside the waist for my Glock-30. I can wear it all day long without any issues of security or comfort with my shirt tucked in/not tucked in, with/without coat/jacket, etc. Sometimes I just carry it in my front coat pocket for other reasons.

What was said about shoulder rigs is right on, you have to wear an outer garment. You have more options with a belt style holster, either IWB or OWB... IWB having the most, IMHO. ;)

Hello. I hope I posted this in the right place. I just recently took my concealed carry class and I am waiting on my permit. I was curious how some of you carry and what has and hasn't worked before I start buying holsters. Right now I'm planing on using my 38 in a sholder holster but I'm still pretty open minded. I know I deffinenly want to know its there and secure. Maybe on my waist. Any styles or brands that you like or that I should stay away from? Any input is helpfull. Thanks. Tom

I have a shoulder holster, but I do not prefer it. I generally open carry in an Alessi leather holster that allows me to sit in my car with my CZ85 full sized pistol, in comfort. I also have a Ross Leather hunting holster for my Colt Revolver. It works quite well, even in the car, even though the revolver has a 6" barrel.

SOB carry is the worst place on the belt to pack IMO as well

I saw a guy carrying cross draw and asked him why. He said he was a bouncer and carried SOB. Some big SOB started leaning on him and he couldn't draw his gun. Never carried it there again.

And jfw,I like this too,but some vests just hang bad and some hang nice.I bought some Aussie brand and it doesn't carry a full size very comfortable.
So again those are something to try out before purchasing.

Plus the proper name for them is " shoot me first" vests;)

3:30 regular belt holster,nothing fancy.Hate IWB

If you are leaning towards OWB, you might consider starting out with a pancake type holster. Nearly all of the makers make one or more varieties of the pancake design. This design pulls the piece close to the body making it comfortable and better concealed.

Get one that is made specific to your Taurus 85...rather than one that fits a "variety" of 2" snubs. The important thing is that the holster be molded to and for your specific model. That way, you have retention without extraneous retention devices. Unless the holster is molded, you have simply a leather envelope where the gun runs the risk of fitting too loosely and compromising retention. A loose fitting holster also contributes to needless wear on the gun's finish. I would recommend avoiding cheap nylon holsters for this reason.

A good way to check to see if the holster is properly made for the gun is to place the gun inside the holster, turn it upside down and shake it a couple times. Of course, you will be paying attention to what you are doing when you do that. If it falls out, well, then, it doesn't fit closely enough.

Another key factor is a good belt that is made for the purpose of carrying a gun. I like two layers of leather, stitched together to make a 1/4" thick belt. That makes for a stiff and rigid platform to support the holster and the gun. A good belt will last many, many years. Try not to be too budget minded when purchasing a belt.

With both holsters and belts, you get pretty much what you pay for, especially in leather. But you might consider starting out with a moderately priced holster. Once your carry preferences have developed, then you can get a higher end model.

LCP in front pocket holster. Comfortable, works in all seasons and looks like a cellphone in my pocket.

Now time for me to get made fun of for carrying a .380.....

SuperTuck Deluxe with J hooks

<broken link removed>

Best i have ever worn. There are many others in a box near my safe, this one is on my hip every day. Actually just ordered another one for a different gun.

Same here, although I sometimes use the regular hooks too. In fact I ordered J hooks with my last order but haven't used them yet. The standard metal ones seem to poke holes in my shirts, went to the J's and haven't gotten a hole yet. But I don't like the weight on the pants rather than the belt.

It can look somewhat conspicuous
That's why it's called a 'Shoot-me-first vest'

You can conceal anything with the right holster and dressing around the gun. I found that simple patterned button up shirt, worn loose or tucked in is the best thing for me to wear. The shirt has the advantage of looking normal and not an attention grabber like the vests, and the patterns help to camouflage any printing that may occur. I've never worried too much about printing. Most people don't/won't notice anyways, gun people or not.

KAKADU black canvas and leather vest in the winter......didn't realize it was screaming " shoot me first ".

Hides a J frame with crimson trace very well

I carried my 1917 revlover in a shoulder holster when working at White Sands, because I was doing a lot of pole and tower climbing. Climbing belts and belt carry just don't mesh well. Again in Alaska as hip carry isn't very reachable in -50F weather.

I make my own holsters and carry IWB all the time. Behind the hipbone canted for draw.

Sized003.jpg

Pops

Sized003.jpg

Second subject:

I wear a carry vest all the time. In addition to having the vest on, I clip a camera or light meter to the vest, so it looks to the casual glance that I'm a photographer, rather than a CCWer.

Pops

2oclock seated in the car and slide it back to 4oclock the rest of the time. Versa Max II iwb milt sparks is the man and it is worth the wait and $

I guess IWB is all in vogue right now, never a fan. Too hard to get to from a seated position, and damned uncomfortable. Preferences for me are a high ride pancake worn on the strong side, and a horizontal shoulder rig. Triple K offers a rig that is quite suitable for under $100. I carry a weapon all the time when I venture forth from the house. It has become second nature to dress around it, after all this is the PNW and wearing a flannel shirt or jacket is not even questionable most any time of the year. For those worrying about "printing" I have never been called out on it, or been treated strangely by anyone. No one really notices, and my carry guns are not small by anyones measure, a sig 229 or an fnp 45.

However I want. I am 6' 8" and float around the 300lb mark. I can pretty well conceal anything. My EDC is an XD-45 Service...Blackhawk! Serpa. Sometimes I do the paddle attachment. Strong side forward cant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top