JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a Ruger LC9 (subcompact) in a Theis Holster IWB (Similar to a Crossbreed Supertuck). The stiff kydex keeps the holster from collapsing when your gun is not in it. The kydex is much slimmer than leather (easier to conceal, don't need giant sized pants). I position it around the 3:30 position. I don't wear really long shirts and I don't tuck my shirts in, so to better conceal, I wear a wifebeater that is long and I tuck that into my pants. The Clips with this holster allow you to tuck in a shirt between the gun/holster and your pants. It makes drawing a little bit harder, but conceals much better. If I bend over to pick something up, my shirt may ride up, but the beater stays tucked in, concealing the gun. After the leather breaks in and you get used to the holster, you don't even notice it is there, sitting, standing, walking. It's comfortable. I will agree it is not easily accessible in a car. But definitely not impossible.

If I am out in the woods or in a more gun aware area, I carry a Ruger P-95 in a leather Pancake OWB Belt holster. This is a little more comfortable than IWB, and obviously more accessible. I got a holster molded for my gun and it has great retention. I went hunting and rode in on a mountain bike with this on my hip, never had a problem with it coming loose. I also made a wall-mount rig to hold this holster next to my bed. I can easily pull the gun for a SD situation or pull the holster and the gun if I am going to wear it.

I would strongly agree that a good belt can make a big difference. They help spread the weight of the gun over your entire waist. I had a thin, single ply 'western' belt that quickly sagged and warped. I had to tighten the sucker down so much to keep my gun from sagging. I just recently purchased 2 custom made leather gunbelts from Jerry Bissell Gunbelts. These come at a good price, great quality, and very quickly.

My first holster tho was an Ankle Lite from US Galco. I carry this when I need a deeper concealment or am dressing up a little more formally. This holster rocks and is very comfortable. No need to buy the calf extension piece either. Ankle carry is definitely harder to draw from, but is very very concealed. I can even carry like this if I am having a lazy day and want to wear sweatpants. It is also fairly accessible if you are driving. Although if you are one of those people that wears ungodly tight skinny jeans, you probably won't be able to slip your pants over the gun...

I don't know what kind of .38 you intend to carry nor in what capacity but I'd encourage you to go visit, first-hand, Ted Blocker. He's under like a bridge/overpass in Tigard or so.

@ tom4570 OP

Search the forums here and youtube - there are lots of ways to carry.

How do you need to carry?
- walking around, is a lot different than
- driving all day, which is different than
- riding a desk (chair arms)
- on a motorcycle, bicycle
- do you have to wear business cloths sometimes and work clothes others - may need a couple of rigs

If you carry IWB for walking around, do you need to move the gun, or both the gun/holster when you are behind the wheel
how will you do that without being too obvious? And get it back in place when exiting the vehicle.
Practice in the garage - many hang up items in a vehicle.

I recommend a Sticky Holster or Ramona to start - that will help you find where you are most comfortable.
An LGS can help with that process.

I have found for my body shape and carry, I like the crossbreed type - but besides the quality belt, I have had to add suspenders
(under the shirt) or I end up looking like one of those punk-wannabees whose tidy-whiteys are showing.

I have the cost effective leather IWB, nothing fancy and I don't worry about reholstering because if I really had to brandish or use I'll get it back in one way or another for it stays in it's place all day long, I carry on my right side (2" 5 shot revolver) just slightly back from the hip bone and I can wear it walking, running, sitting and driving.

It cost less than $20 and if I want I can put my 4" 6 shot revolver there and it rides just as well but is slightly more bulky. I always wear a sweatshirt, hoodie, fleece or untucked big shirt that covers my belt well. My waist is 34 and have no issue at all.

In fact I started carrying last June on a vacation, wore it everyday and the wife didn't even know, she probably thought it was my cell phone when she would bump against it from time to time.

FB

Carried shoulder rigs for years. Mostly 1911 and some others, all at least fair sized weapons. Was always able to conceal under a Hawaiian shirt etc. DO NOT buy a cheap shoulder holster!!! You will be sorry for as long as you use it!

I do not carry for novelty, cause it's cool or something, I carry it in case I need it.
I find wearing in a secured paddle holster allows quick solid un-obstructed access.
If I can not get to it, then wearing it is useless. I find if I wear sholder or other wise they are hidden
well, but you can never zip up a jacket and have access. Today I wore mine on a trip to Eugene,
my zipped up leather covered fine, and a quick slip and I have access cold or warm weather.
For me it works best. I am not a big fan of hiding it so well you can not get to it.

A Major in the Marines carry trainer years ago gave me some great advice about carrying.
He said, if you can not get your gun out in 2 seconds, be asking your self how fast you can run
the 100 yard dash. I therefore wear accordingly !

Something to think about for a cheap go to gun & is reliable for being a great first shot when you need a shot off in under a second is the P32 Kel-Tec. It fits snugly in any 'watch pocket' you know the tiny pocket above the right front pocket usually on jeans & some tactical pants. It covers the trigger shroud and holds it in place in any position even while jogging, just the grip is out. Practice a little bit with a light t shirt covering. It's profile doesn't show up with any shirt. Snugly fits to your body and has a natural draw feeling. Can get a 10 round mag for it but comes with 7+1.

I do not carry for novelty, cause it's cool or something, I carry it in case I need it.
I find wearing in a secured paddle holster allows quick solid un-obstructed access.
If I can not get to it, then wearing it is useless. I find if I wear sholder or other wise they are hidden
well, but you can never zip up a jacket and have access. Today I wore mine on a trip to Eugene,
my zipped up leather covered fine, and a quick slip and I have access cold or warm weather.
For me it works best. I am not a big fan of hiding it so well you can not get to it.

A Major in the Marines carry trainer years ago gave me some great advice about carrying.
He said, if you can not get your gun out in 2 seconds, be asking your self how fast you can run
the 100 yard dash. I therefore wear accordingly !

Easy enough, never zip a jacket over it and buttons/shirt are expendable. And I was eminently strong enough to shred a shirt like tissue paper.

Oh yeah, trouble comming? Unbutton the shirt! Those baby's cost a hundred bucks each!

I carry my hi-point c9 just inside my boxers and keep my pants down about 4-6 inches from the waist. Rest assured, everything is neatly concealed with my Starter jacket that is 2 sizes too big.

Yeah, I hear you. But spent two winters on the Korean DMZ, it dosent really get that cold here! And since I carry for a novelty and to be cool I guess it's different criteria.

depends what i'm wearing, what season it is, where i'm going and what i'm carrying.

I agree with Just Dan. In Winter it is usually USP-45 in OWB paddle holster in FWD cant. In summer I have an HK P7-m8 that fits nicely on the belt.
I also have a MED and a LARGE size fanny pack if I am out walking the dog, or riding a bike.

I have/had a good shoulder rig, but as someone already said, you have to ALWAYS wear your jacket. Even if you are having lunch....

H

LCP .380 in kydex holster w/ spare mag, on neck lanyard between shirt and t-shirt w/ usual casual sweatpants. Not terribly fast to draw but the last place a bad guy would look, hopefully.

I know a guy with a J frame S&W .357 with a sub 2" bbl that he keeps in an uncle mikes iwb holster. He keeps it in his front pocket in his blue jeans and carries every single day. He said, it is such a light and small frame revolver, that it is not a big deal to keep it all day and everywhere. It will also fit in a breast pocket of a shirt or jacket, or even in his back pocket.

This at 3 o'clock:

colt32b.jpg
colt32a.jpg

i have been carrying iwb 90% of the time for the last six years or so. Before that I was a big OWB proponent - but now I rarely carry that way when I actually want to conceal my gun. I carry OWB when I don't care, or if I'm out hiking/fishing/camping or when I want to open carry.

I make my own holsters - eventually I intent to get more serious and really start producing holsters for sale. I've sold a few, and I usually give a holster away with a gun when I sell one, so I have a few more of my creations floating around. The holsters pictured below are prototypes - evolutions of design. Each holster I make gets a bit better. I haven't pictured the two I've created for my wife's Kahr we just got. Need to get pix of those.

A few holsters ago, I started using rivets in addition to chicago screws - whereas for years I've been using just chicaco screws or chicago screws with rubber washers. I wish I had the rivet flaring press, since they come out better looking than the punch style flaring tool. The punch flattens the rivet, rather than rolling it.

I carry either at 4:30 IWB, or at 2:30 AIWB. My holsters allow for tucked or non-tucked shirts, so it all depends on how much effort I feel like putting in to concealing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top