JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you tear up your medical marijuana card can you still "legally keep" your guns? If so, that's the logical solution to the problem. We all know that you cannot buy or use weed illegally.

We are very spoiled here on the mainland. We can go buy a firearm and many sqwack when they have to wait for a background check to process. In Hawaii buying a firearm is not so easy:

Pass a hunter education or gun safety education class. Hang on to your certificate proving that you've done so; you'll need it.

Go to store, pick out your firearm. Note its make, model, serial number, barrel length.

Go to Honolulu Police Department main station, apply for permit to acquire that specific firearm. Submit proof that you've taken a safety class. You'll be photographed, fingerprinted, and will give the police permission to access your private medical and mental health records. You'll also agree to a criminal background check with the FBI and pay a $16.25 fee, if it's your first time (cash only, exact change only, or they'll send you away at the counter).

Wait 14 days.

Go to HPD main station, pick up your permit.

Go back to the store, with the permit, pick up the firearm.

Take firearm and permit back to the HPD main station, where police will confirm that the make, model, serial number and barrel length of what you bought matches what you took out a permit for.

So the headlines of the Honolulu PD sending letters asking for people to turn in their guns is just a courtesy. They already know who owns what, how many etc... IMO HI have let their 2A rights be infringe which many of us would not tolerate.

Because, like it or not, federal law states it is not legal and as mentioned above it says so right on 4473
I understand what the question states on the 4473 form but...
If marijuana is legal in your state...then you are not a unlawful user...and if you are not addicted , then you are responsible...
So I ask again:
Why should someone who is engaging in a lawful activity , responsibly , be made to give up their rights?
Andy

If marijuana is legal in your state...then you are not a unlawful user...and if you are addicted , then you are responsible...
So I ask again:
Why someone who is engaging in a lawful activity , responsibly , why should they be made to give up their rights?
Andy

Because it is still a Schedule 1 drug under Federal Law. Sorry, but that makes it unlawful under Federal Statute.

This is a slippery slope. MJ or other substances are decriminalized in leftist places like Oregon, or even completely legalized. Then these same left leaning folks could use the decriminalization as a means to restrict gun ownership, as we're reading about in Honolulu. If it can happen with MJ, it could happen with "legal" pain killers, cough syrup, or even alcohol. Don't think for a second that these folks are our friends.

This is a slippery slope. MJ or other substances are decriminalized in leftist places like Oregon, or even completely legalized. Then these same left leaning folks could use the decriminalization as a means to restrict gun ownership

Rampant hypocrisy

Kind of like the "ban the box" movement that is gaining traction nationwide which prevents employers from asking if you are a felon or have a criminal history on job applications. Most recently passed by the Spokane city council. They say that these people have paid their debt to the and shouldn't be discriminated against but I would wager a lot that the people that feel that way, do not feel like their firearms rights should be restored.

They want as many people as possible prohibited.

If marijuana is legal in your state...then you are not a unlawful user...and if you are not addicted , then you are responsible...
So I ask again:
Why should someone who is engaging in a lawful activity , responsibly , be made to give up their rights?
Andy

It specifically says on the 4473 that this argument doesn't float.

Public schools have really done a number on the public. Prohibition was not even in the same league as pot as far as what it spawned.
Well I was thinking both spawned illicit industries which provided product at the expense of rising gangs and cartels. I think the war on drugs is largely the same thing, only more developed. It is as if we doubled down on prohibition.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top